please help

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

magspattison

please help

Post by magspattison » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:29 am

please help, i am trying to find out where in Scotland my 5x grt grandad was born. the info i have is, John Arries born abt 1760 married ? Wright and had 1 son Mansfield born 1784, Mansfield married Cecily Hope and had 4 children with her. They were all born in Scotland. I would be grateful for any information .

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:16 am

Hi Mags
...and a warm welcome to Talking Scot. :D

On a preliminary look on the IGI, all I can see for the names you mention are submissions, giving only "Scotland" which is a little disappointing. On SP I can't find anything for a Mansfield Ar* pre 1855, or a post 1855 death. However, with such an unusual name, the spelling variations and opportunities for mis- transcriptions are numerous.

I was going to suggest you check the OPR, but that will be difficult when there appear, so far, to be no mentions I can find! Can I ask where you found the information? What sort of source was it? Do you have a Scots post-1855 death as a starting point?

These children are on IGI, but again, all submissions..
  • British Isles
    Father: Mansfield Arries, Mother: Cecily Hope
    Exact Spelling: Off

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 6

1. Alexander Arries - International Genealogical Index

2. Alexander Arries - International Genealogical Index

3. John ARRIES - International Genealogical Index

4. Alexander ARRIES - International Genealogical Index

5. Jane ARRIES - International Genealogical Index

6. ARRIES - International Genealogical Index
and below is the summary for surname Arries on SP, so if they are there, they are probably hiding behind a spelling variation:
  • Census 1841 0
    Census 1851 0
    Census 1861 0
    Census 1871 0
    Census 1881 2
    Census 1891 0
    Census 1901 2
    Old Parish Records Births & Christenings 1553 - 1854 0
    Old Parish Records Banns & Marriages 1553 - 1854 0
    Statutory Register Births 1855 - 1905 0
    Statutory Register Marriages / Banns 1855 - 1930 2
    Statutory Register Deaths 1855 - 1955 0
    Wills & Testaments 1513 - 1901 0
Best wishes
Lesley

magspattison

Post by magspattison » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi Lesley,
Thank you so much for the reply and the welcome. I have to admit i am pulling my hair out with this one, i already have the information from the IGI. im beginning to think it was'nt Scotland they were born but Northumberland
as Mansfields oldest son my 4x grt grndfather is on the 1841 cencus for Cornhill on Tweed with his family. Mansfield Arries emigrated to America in 1841 and settled in Wisconsin and it was one of his descendents i got the information from as she has a site , The First Generation Of Arries Family.
I don't have any post death dates unfortunately but John and his wife were supposed to have lived to a ripe old age. I also think the name could have changed with Arris being the most common.
thanks again Margaret
looking for Arries

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:51 pm

Hello Mags - there is a 12 year old Mansfield Arries on the 1851 census in Tilmouth, Northumberland. Father John age 42 is a shoemaker and he and his wife Elenor age 45 have two other children, Jane age 14 and John age 8 (or 3, there's a line through). They were all born in Northumberland. Any connection?

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi Mags:

There are 14 references to Mansfield Arries on IGI all of which are submissions carrying messages "
Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter" (or similar)

You might want to go further into the LDS system, but the vague references and the age of the postings, suggest that would be rather fruitless.

The OPRs were not very fruitfull for Mansfield Arries, but there is a great room for spelling/transcription/hearing errors for such a name.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

magspattison

Post by magspattison » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Pinkshoes
Thank you for your reply, Mansfield johns son is my x3 grt grandfather. I know John moved into Northumberland i just can't find where in Scotland he was born, it's a complete blank. thank you for looking it up for me it's back to the drawing board i think.
regards Margaret
looking for Arries

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi Margaret

As soon as I saw the name I thought the most likely mistranscription would be HARRIS.
Have you used wildcards to look for *arri*s*. It seems an unlikely combination but there are not too many other names that might fit.
We have plaxcenmaes Lewis and Harris so with a mindset knowing these names, and knowing that there are several surnames which equate with
place names it would be worth a try.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

magspattison

Post by magspattison » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Frances
thank you for your reply.
I think i'll go back to my local record office and see if i can find out anything there.
Thanks again for your help.
Margaret
looking for Arries

magspattison

Post by magspattison » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:17 am

Hi Russell.
There are a number of variations for my name , Arris, aries in fact there is a place in Kirkholm with the name Aries , i have looked at the site and there were a number of people with that name.
I think i'll change tact and look into variation's.
There is one other clue , Jane Arries born1813 married a mr Graham in Edinburgh but i don't know where or when.
Thank you for your help with this.
Regards Margaret
looking for Arries

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi Margaret,

There is a MATTHEW MANSFIELD ARRIS m JEAN HALL 28 Nov 1817 Yelthom Roxburgh. THis is an extracted entry. Must be connected somehow. There are a few extracted entries in Roxburgh on IGI if you search on ARRIS.

Karen Mc Cubbin
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk