Help with Passenger listing

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

ficam

Help with Passenger listing

Post by ficam » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:43 am

Hello again everyone - I need help to confirm a bit of a dark family secret...!

I have a great uncle who went to Canada in 1929 with £2 in his possession and was supposed to be going to his grandfather's farm . He returned home a few years later and said that his grandfather had told him that he had made his own way in the world and that his grandson should do the same - and had sent him on his way...that is the family story anyway

He had then travelled round Canada looking for work unsuccessfully and had to come home...This never rang true to me as the grandfather had already taken in 5 or 6 grandchildren and brought them up and I would not have thought that he would have turned down an extra pair of hands on the farm..!

I have now found what I think is his passage back from Canada in 1932 - and he is listed right at the end , after the 3rd class passengers with a lot of other people under the heading "Deports" ? Does that mean he was deported from Canada? There seem to be a lot of fairly respectable occupations listed under the Deports and there are a lot of them....

To make matters worse!!? there are columns at the end which are supposed to be for the forward country destination , ie England, Scotland, Wales etc , but the columns have not been filled in with that - instead these columns seem to have the name of the ship that the person went out to Canada on and the date - but most also have the initials LPC at the start . Some poor souls have Insane or feebleminded where the LPC is on others, but my ancestor has Gaol in the same place ....( as do a good few others it has to be said)! Does anyone know if that means he had been deported from jail in Canada - or was destined for jail in Scotland?!
And anyone know what LPC would mean?

I probably don't want to dig much further with this one, and yet I can't resist...!

Thanks

Anne H
Global Moderator

Re: Help with Passenger listing

Post by Anne H » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 am

Hi Ficam,

Just googled and found an explanation. Take a look here... http://www.theshipslist.com/Forms/faq.html

"LPC, stands for "Likely Public Charge." The LPC exclusion was introduced to US immigration law in 1891 and was the most common cause of detention and grounds for exclusion/deportation. Immigrants were most likely considered a likely public charge if they had little money AND no family, friends, or prospects, OR if they were disabled in some way that would prevent them from earning their own living. The majority of LPC exclusions were overcome during the Special Inquiry process, usually when friends, family, or some Immigrant Aid organization came and vouched for the person or posted a bond for them. Other common exclusion/detention "cause" abbreviations included: ..."

Regards,
Anne H

ficam

Post by ficam » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 am

Thanks Anne, that makes sense and makes it more certain that they were all deported. As he had been out there for three years , he wasn't turned back at the point of entry, despite only having £2 in his pocket....so he must have really been down on his luck to have no prospects three years later at the age of 20...? Or the "Gaol" aspect probably had a big influence on his fate...! That bit certainly didn't make it into the family story..!

Wonder what he did...? Next puzzle to solve..

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Ficam:

Although still under construction, there are some articles and records regarding deportations available at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac- ... eportation

Some older records may be searchable using the person's name.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

ficam

Post by ficam » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I have had no luck trying to find out what happened to my relative, to cause him to be deported from Canada back to Scotland in 1932. As I have stated above, in the passenger listings in the column ( which is actually supposed to be for country of onward destination, but has LPC or Lunatic etc in most entries in the Deports section) , my relative has Gaol noted. As Canada has a lot of online information I have tried to find anything online with no success.

I am not even certain if the entry means that he was deported from a jail sentence in Canada - or was headed for a jail sentence in Scotland?! - I assume the former...?

Does anyone ( especially anyone in Canada) know if there is any way I can find out why he was in jail ? He certainly did not mention it when he got back home - although he did own up to fathering a child in America when he was working on a farm there ( after his grandfather refused to let him work on his farm in Canada - according to the grandson; he moved about the USA and Canada as a hobo) Not sure why having confessed to all that on his return he missed out the jail sentence! ?

Anyone have any ideas where I could find out more...? I have not named him here as, although I know he is dead , I do not know if he still has living relatives...