JOHN BELL - AYRSHIRE/MANITOBA

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

eiggam

JOHN BELL - AYRSHIRE/MANITOBA

Post by eiggam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:41 am

Hi there, have been researching my grandmothers brother - John Bell (nickname may have been Willie) - who was born in Ayrshire in 1899, went to Manitoba, Canada when he was about 15 years old (he lied about his age at that time). He went to live with his Uncle George Ferguson - who had emigrated previously with his family. After joining the Canadian Army in 1916, I have him coming back to England during the 1st World War, then returning to Manitoba about 1918 - after being wounded in the arm. His parents in Scotland were called James Bell and Mary Bell (nee Ferguson). My research has a John Bell going from Canada to New York about 1937 - but I am not sure it is him. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks Eiggam.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: JOHN BELL - AYRSHIRE/MANITOBA

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:02 am

Hello Eiggam
eiggam wrote:My research has a John Bell going from Canada to New York about 1937 - but I am not sure it is him.
There is a lot of information on the border crossing card that will help you decide if it is the right man, especially the exact birth date.

Birth date: 8 Sept 1899
Address in Canada:143 Queenston st, St Cath (his friend Robert Johnson was also at the same address)
He says he last landed in Montreal in Sept 1929 on the Athenia (can't find this, but he may have been confusing ships and dates, since he did arrive on the Athenia the first time in 1915)

If you have his birth certificate, you will know if the birth date is correct (if he told the truth!)

All the best,
Sarah

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm

This shipping record may not be the same man.

John BELL was born 29th May 1899 to James BELL and Mary BELL MS FERGUSON in Largs.

It looks like he had 7 siblings, but one may have died young.

mb

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks, mb
I have just found the Canadian WWI records and he says that he was born in Largs, Ayrshire on 11 March 1898… ahem!
His father, James Bell, lives at Mount Hope, Mansfield, Newcumnock, Ayrshire and he (John) is a farm laborer.
5'7", fair complexion, brown eyes, brown hair, a Methodist

Not sure if it means much, but he was also 5'7" with brown hair and eyes on the 1937 border crossing.

And we have just ascertained that he has no problem shifting his birth date around. :roll:

Cheers,
Sarah

eiggam

Post by eiggam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have all the rest of his family and every certificate that goes with it. I know he never contacted his family again in Scotland for whatever reasons. Could be him going to USA from Canada - as description of the person seems to add up - that is where I have come to a halt on this one. After him returning to Canada after the 1st World War he seems to have disappeared into thin air. If he never married and had no family then I think the chances of finding him are nil. I know the Uncle he went to live with (his mother's brother)in Canada returned to Scotland in the late 30's. Again, thanks to all for their help. Eiggam