BC, Canada - localities

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Re: BC, Canada - localities

Post by trish1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Sarah

If I could teleport to Montreal it would be a great road trip. I think I am almost past the endurance of 20 hour flights.

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Ummm... how about a boat across the Pacific and do the trip in reverse? 8)

With all the interest in genealogy, wouldn't you think some shipping company would do historical re-enactment voyages so we could travel as our ancestors did? I'm hoping for a sailing ship from the southwest coast of England to the East coast of the U.S. :wink:

Best wishes for no seasickness,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Great idea Sarah - when are you starting up your buisness??!
Boy, that would really bring to life the trials and hardships our ancestors faced; Scottish Highlands to America, Australia, Ireland to America...crikes I'm not sure people would be willing to pay for an actual true-to-life re-enactment that lasted more than a short while...I can imagine folk lasting one day and demanding their money back if asked to really endure the condiitons of the times! :D

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 pm

What? You mean that our ancestors didn't each have an ensuite bathroom attached to private sleeping quarters on the boat? :shock: :lol:

Still think it would be cool and endurable as long as one knew it was for a limited time (entirely unrealistic in that sense, of course!) Not that excited, however, at being stuck down in the bilge with fellow passengers being seasick all around me :shock:

Best wishes for a safe crossing,
Sarah

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Given how my folks arrived in Australia - I'm not too sure about the replica trips. Our very first came out on a convict ship - 1788 - the next were free settlers in 1833 - took 7 months from Paisley to Oz - ship lost a mast somewhere near Rio & they were very fortunate to limp into harbour without a mast. An 1849 trip, organised by the Rev John Dunmore-Lang and promising land and opportunity (paid for before the trip), resulted in an arrival in a town where they were not wanted and that land never eventuated. Another family from England in 1870s were the last trip on their wooden boat before the boat was burnt to a cinder losing all but 3 of the hundreds on board.

Here I complain about a 20 hour flight - these folks had courage I cannot even imagine - to make those trips to find "a better life".