Graham Sherret - When Did He Sail To America ?

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

Graham Sherret - When Did He Sail To America ?

Post by darylrodger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a mystery.

My 3 x great grandfather Graham Sherret\Sherit appears to have enlisted in Brooklyn, New York in June 1861 for the Civil War.
I can't find any immigration records for him or his wife Isabella Milne, leaving Scotland for the states. The last record I have of
them is of their marriage in Brechin on 27th May 1853. I can't find any trace of them in the 1861 census, so I assume they travelled
over there between 1853 & 1861. I can't seem to find an address for him in New York either.

He was killed in 1864, and his widow was back in Brechin by 1864/65, and I know they didn't have any children.

Can anyone help ?

Regards,

Daryl

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Graham Sherret - When Did He Sail To America ?

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello Daryl,
Do you have Isabella's application for a Civil War pension? I see in the index that she did apply and she may have mentioned when he came over.

Best wishes,
Sarah

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Daryl:

The War records of Graham may lead you to some information about his arrival in the U.S. and it may be possible to locate these records through the U.S. government records of soldiers.

Searching Familysearch.org using Graham Sherrat; born Scotland; residence place United States provides a copy of Isabella's filing as a war widow https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1919699

"Citing this Record

"United States Civil War Widows and Other Dependents Pension Files, 1861-1934," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KXDK-3DT : accessed 18 February 2015), Graham Sherret in entry for Isabella Milne Sherret, 1861 - 1934; from "Case Files of Approved Pension Applications of Widows and Other Dependents of Civil War Veterans, ca. 1861- ca. 1934," Fold3.com; citing military unit 67 New York Infantry, company K, application number WC57488, NAID identifier 300020; National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C."

The above search also provides and additional 23 records of Graham Sherrat which are also indexed with Isabella Milne Sherrat. The link to these is to an outside provider, with a document and photo image symbol. Unfortunately, the link does not work, but it may be worth exploring the problem with Ancestry, who will be able to at least identify the original source.

If these records are duplicates that won't be much help; however if they are records of individual payments to Isabella as a widow, they may provide an address which may lead to documentation of her return to Scotland.

You may be able to access some of these records online through your local, government or university library near you.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi Sarah,

I've had a look at Isabella's pension application, but there isn't any mention of when or where Graham came over to the states.
It's very frustrating, I've looked at a few documents related to Graham & Isabella, but nothing is stated as to where he lived unfortunately.
Regards,

Daryl

Laura

Post by Laura » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Daryl, I'm sorry, but I have to ask: if your 3Xgreat grandfather didn't have any children, how can he be your great grandfather?

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Laura

Maybe Daryl is descended from this chap and a previous wife who died after which he married Isabella Milne. Doubtless he will clarify in due course.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Laura

Post by Laura » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Good point, Anne. Now I am really curious.

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 am

Hi,

I'm related to Graham through his illegitimate daughter Mary Shirret b.1848 to Margaret Hampton when he was 21 yrs old. Mary went on to marry David Bruce who is my 2 x great-grandfather.

Graham went on to marry Isabella Milne in 1853, but had no children.

Regards,

Daryl

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 am

Thank you, Daryl.