Horace Stevely

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Hugh Stevely

Horace Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:39 pm

* Queensland, Australia, Electoral Roll 1949

I am looking for any info on the above or any of his family any info would be a great help.

Name: Horace Stevely
Title:
Place of Living: Patrick st., Dalby
Division: Maranoa
Sub Division: Dalby
Number: 5469

Iam sure that his father was Gilbert McKenzie Stevely and his mother was Ann Jane Stevely Maranoa Dalby. i have all the info for Gilbert and Ann Jane Stevely.

Thanks Hugh.

Many thanks Hugh.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:12 am

Hi Hugh

I see from other message boards, Ann Jane was buried 4 may 1954. I can check the Brisbane papers at the library to see if a death notice gives the names of her children - or have you already had someone check for such notices? Alternatively - if you can fight your way through the Qld registry - you can purchase her death certificate, which should name all her children living at the time of her death.

Do you have a death date for Gilbert? They don't seem to be together on the 1936 electoral roll, but that may just be that Ann is missing from that roll. Gilbert is listed on that roll.

It seems Ann & Gilbert married in 1922, so the birth information is not available (latest date for Qld birth indexes being available is 1919)

Trish

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Trish, Gilbert died on 6th July 1945 in Queensland.

Can you check the Brisbane papers at the library to see if a death notice gives the names of her children i found Horace we thought the son was Hugh?
This is the last info i have up to date.

For the 1925 Electoral Roll, Gilbert and Ann were living in Palmwoods, in the Landsborough district in Wide Bay, Queensland. Gilbert was a labourer. Gilbert was still living at Palmwoods for the 1936 Electoral Roll. He was still a labourer and his wife Ann was not listed.
Gilbert died on 6th July 1945 in Queensland.

Notes for ANNIE JANE CAMPBELL:
Annie was born in circa 1881, the daughter of John Campbell and Julia Ryan.
Annie died on 1st May 1954. Her funeral notice in The Courier Mail (Brisbane) for Monday 3rd May 1954 states-
"Stevely - Mrs Anne J. - The relatives and friends of Mr and Mrs Solway and family, Mr and Mrs W. Campbell and family and Mr H. Stevely are invited to attend the funeral of their beloved mother, mother-in-law and grandmother, Anne Jane Stevely of 13 Coolibah Street, Dalby to leave the Funeral Chapel, 95 Wickham Street Valley, to-morrow, Tuesday at 11am for Balimba Cemetery. K. M. Smith"
Annie was buried in Balmoral Cemetery, Portion 17, grave no. 501 on 4th May 1954.

Children of GILBERT STEVELY and ANNIE CAMPBELL are:
37. i. HUGH5 STEVELY.
ii. FEMALE STEVELY, m. SOLWAY.
iii. FEMALE STEVELY, m. CAMPBELL

Could the Mr H Stevely be Hugh or Horace.

Orraverybest Hugh.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 am

How mean to not give the full names in the funeral notice :( I have a large backlog to check at the library so I do hope to get there this week. Will see if any light can be found

Trish

This site has some information re burials in areas near Palmwoods - it was very slow when I tried to look earlier - there doesn't seem to be an index - need to check each cemetery
http://www.interment.net/aus/qld/maroochy.htm

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Very mean indeed :( never mind i keep looking thanks for your offer on the check at the library and for your link.

Hugh.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 am

Hi Hugh

I made it to the library today but sadly no joy. I checked both the Courier Mail (Brisbane) and the Nambour Chronicle which was the most likely local paper. There were very few death/funeral notices in either - wondering if war time had an impact. The Nambour paper was only printed on Fridays so I checked for a few weeks. Found a couple of obits for Palmwoods but nothing for Stevely. There seemed to be much discussion about the unseemly behaviour of the youth of the time - nothing seems to change!

I did check the death indexes to 1964 (latest available) - the only other Stevely I found - was Gilbert's wife. - Ann Jane Stevely died 1 May 1954 parents john Campbell and Julia Ryan ref 1954/B001753

I didn't think to look for a birth for any children - Births are available to 1919 (5 years after the online index). Do you know when Hugh/Horace was born? I'll be at the library again next week.

Trish

Hugh Stevely

re Horace Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Trish1,

Sorry i dont have any info on Hugh or Horace its only a few weeks ago i found Horace on the Queensland, Australia, Electoral Roll 1949 and with living in Dalby he,s got to be Gilberts son i have ruled out the Stevelys from Victoria i no who they are.

It is strange however that the 3 children in the grave were all buried on the same day its a Mystery to me where they sill births? i keep looking thanks for your kind help we may find some thing later,

Hugh.

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:19 am

It is strange however that the 3 children in the grave were all buried on the same day its a Mystery to me where they sill births?
I'd be looking at epidemics for the period if I were you. Measles, say, or some strain of flu, particularly if the children were under 5. There were dengue epidemics over there in the 1940's and 50s.

Ann

wini

Post by wini » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:37 am

Hugh
Dalby hs a Public library, if you google that, you may get some information from them.
Most small towns have a Historical Society and the library is a good place for recrds.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Hugh Stevely

re Horace Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Ann thanks for that--epidemics i never thought of going down that road will see what i can come up with.

Thanks Hugh.