Charles Conway County Tyrone to Tasmaia

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

johnhills

Charles Conway County Tyrone to Tasmaia

Post by johnhills » Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I have seem to have lost a Great Great Grandfather Charles Conway arr Tasmania on the Mooltan in 1854 have a death date 1888 but doesn't say where he died,last known address Mitcham Victoria Australia (that was in an old newspaper).So if any one can help me I'd be grateful.

John Hills(Australia)

trish1

Re: Charles Conway County Tyrone to Tasmaia

Post by trish1 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:20 am

Hello John

I looked in the NLA newspapers & found a couple of items - http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Mercury Hobart 30 Aug 1872 Marriage - Hill Conway - On 26th August at Hamilton by special license by the Rev J Sheehy, John Joseph, second son of Mr J Hill of Hamilton, to Mary Anne, eldest daughter of Charles Conway of Hobart Town. Tyrone, Ireland; and Melbourne papers please copy. Mary Ann was 2 on the shipping list, so this would seem to be her marriage.

There is a Charles Conway who died in South Australia in 1888 - death notices say he was a colonist for 45 years - so arrived c. 1843. Another article says he arrived in 1828 - as a sailor with convicts for Botany Bay. Could you have the wrong death?

I cannot find another death in 1888 in Vic Tas NSW or WA. I only have Tas records to 1899. There are a couple in the NSW records for different years. Do you have his parent names? There is a Charles Conway who died in Victoria 1893 - died at Micham aged 82 father Charles no mother given - but I see from the shipping Charles said he was 34 in 1854 (may have not told the truth of course) so would have been 73 in 1893. On another list he is 32.

Also a Charles Conway died in Qld 1911 - parents Joseph and Hannah Evans.

Trish

johnhills

Re: Charles Conway County Tyrone to Tasmaia

Post by johnhills » Sat May 19, 2012 8:07 am

Hi Trish the John Joseph Hill (should be Hills) was my Great grandfather and Mary Ann my GGrandmother.Yes I've seen the Trove pages that's were I got he lived in Mitcham Victoria after 1865 when his son Bernard Thomas was born in Hobart Tasmania.I have him b 1820in County Tyrone but no parents.I tried Tracing back from the ship they arrived in (Mooltan out of Southampton) but no success.He wasn't a convict as he came a free man(have lots of convicts in the family) early days of course.Think that rules out South Australia,I found the Micham one too at the moment that's the one I'm using He just's seems to have disappeared from site.I found him as Charles Conway Esquire on Trove (meaning he was a Gentleman supposedly). My next stop maybe a trip to Tasmania to see if anyone there can shed some light on the subject.

John Hills