Jane baird was transported here to Australia .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Merlot
Global Moderator

Post by Merlot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Well done Carolyn. =D>

A load of information and a contact too. Excellent.

Merlot
Researching:- Cameron, McMillan, Gray, McLean, More, Hastie, McLiver, Dunipace.....

KayM

Re: Jane baird was transported here to Australia .....

Post by KayM » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:43 am

This thread has been very interesting and useful for me.

I am researching the older Elizabeth Hadden/Haddow in the 1841 and 1851 censuses above. She is the mother of Gavin McGhie and Smellie Frame. Gavin McGhie and his wife Jane Russell emigrated to New Zealand about 1862. My third cousin there is descended from them!

Kay in Ayrshire
Researching: McMeekin, Fleming, Murdoch, McFedries, Rolinson, Yates - Ayrshire
Haig, Oliphant, Bayne/Bain - Fife
Shearer, Corbett - Dumfriesshire
Sievwright, Clark - Angus & Aberdeenshire

KayM

Post by KayM » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Jean Beard alias Haddon was sentenced to seven years on 10 Sep 1840 at Glasgow Court of Justiciary and departed on the Garland Grove to Van Dieman's Land on 14 Jun 1841.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss ... 3&recoff=2
Researching: McMeekin, Fleming, Murdoch, McFedries, Rolinson, Yates - Ayrshire
Haig, Oliphant, Bayne/Bain - Fife
Shearer, Corbett - Dumfriesshire
Sievwright, Clark - Angus & Aberdeenshire

ihmframe1963

Post by ihmframe1963 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm

I have joined this forum because i googled 'Elizabeth Haddow' and found your on line chat about Jane Baird and William Haddow. I am descended from William Smellie Frame b. 1805 to William (John) Frame and Janet Smellie married 1797 in Hamilton. My ggg grandfather was known on the 1841 and 1851 census as Smallie Frame and lived at 5 Union St Hamilton LKS. I found the 1851census at 7 Low Patrick St. Hamilton
Elizabeth Haddow 38 washerwoma born Carluke
'Smallie Frame aged 4 months
Gavin McGhie aged 12 weaver

I don't know who the father of baby Smallie Frame was as my ggg grandparents Janet King and Smallie Frame had married 1834 in Hamilton and they had 4 children on the 1841c in Union St. William 8. Margaret 4, Janet 2 and John 4 months.
As Smellie Frame (on OPR's) then married Ann Weir in November 1850 so my ggg grandmother Janet King had died sometime in that 10 year period. Ann Weir raised the four children although i have never found son William who would have been about 18-20 on 1851 census.
There is no record of a Frame marriage to Elizabeth Haddow. I have seen her 1870 death record as Elizabeth McGhie (she married Gavin McGhie on 26.11.1858 in Hamilton and it also has that she was the widow of Smellie Frame. Her son Smellie Frame witnessed the certificate but have not found any further record of him.No record of her parents on the cert either so could be John Haddow and Elizabeth Hamilton or their son John Hamilton and Mary Sommerville. Elizabeth had a child to Gavin McGhie, a son named James who was 7 on the 1861 census. When Gavin McGhie died in 1875 aged 53the witness to his certificate was his neice Mary Frame.
1861 census (Hamilton)
Gavin McGhie head 60
Elizabeth Haddow or McGhie 46 born Carluke
Smalie Frame 10 stepson b. Hamilton
James McGhie 7 son b. Hamilton

On 1861 census at Duke St. was Gavin McGhie aged 22 baker and his wife Jane McGhie 22 dressmaker and i have them on 1871 and 1881 census also.
There were some Haddows living at 6 Union St. on the 1851census and i think that it may have been Elizabeth's grandfather John Haddow aged 83 born Douglas along with James Haddow 27 and Jean or Joan Haddow aged 38.

I have seen the record on this website of 1841 census at Ferniegair Hamlet, Hamilton where William Hadden (christening and birth record are Haddow) M. 40 a Hedger and his rather large family (without his wife Jane Baird) were living. Elizabeth Hadden aged 30 female servant, two children Janet and Elizabeth Brown and also little Gaven McGhee (MacGhee on the record) aged 2. His wife Jane obviously being transported here to Australia at that time. How terrible for them and the family.
I searched the LDS records and found some submissions about this family which will answer some of your questions.
William b. 1.8.1794 was the son of John Haddow and Elizabeth Hamilton and he was born in Carluke. William had a brother John Haddow b. 10.8.1792 who married Mary Sommerville and they lived at 18 Union St on 1851 census.
John and Elizabeth (Betty) had a rather large family from 1788 to 1812 and also had a Betsy born 1807 who appears to have married a John Weir (familysearch.org records) John Haddow and Margaret/Mary Sommerville had a daughter Elizabeth Haddow ch. 7.03.1813 so the Elizabeth Haddow with William could have been either his sister or his neice.
There was also another brother Andrew Haddow born 1812 to John Haddow and Betty Hamilton and he married Jean Morton and they were at Hill Farm, Hamilton on 1851 census with their children Janet, Elizabeth, Jean, Mary, Ellen, Agnes.
I have been finding a lot of submissions about this family on familysearch.org about William Haddow and members of the family came to Tasmania and to Victoria. Hope this all helps but if anyone knows about the Frame connection i am very interested.

AlannaGrace

Post by AlannaGrace » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:00 am

Hello, I thought you might like an addition to your John Haddow and Elisabeth Hamilton family.

David Haddow was one of their sons, born in 1805 in Carluke. He married Janet Tod in 1832 in Carnwath and their son Thomas Haddow was born in 1836 in Dunsyre. Thomas married Janet Salmond in 1866 at Meadowhead, New Monkland and had 2 daughters Janet in 1867, and Jane in 1869. Unfortunately Thomas' wife, young Jane and then Thomas died in 1871 leaving young Janet orphaned. Janet Haddow went to live with her Grandparents - Salmond family - and they all came out to Australia in 1886. Janet Haddow married in Australia and she was my Great Grandmother. David Haddow seems to have lost his wife Jane between 1841 and 1851 census, and remarried Grace Mackie. I cannot find Jane's death, nor the marriage to Grace. They both died in Stonehouse - David in 1857 and Grace in 1893 and are noted as widow of/wife of etc on their death certificates. I have certificates for all of these events through Scotlandspeople.
Anne

douglascarluke2

Post by douglascarluke2 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:03 am

I think I need to join this post, I am researching Janet Haddow Born 1779 at Carluke, she had two brothers William Haddow born 1785, Thomas Haddow born 1773, and a sister Mary Haddow. We expect the two brothers to die young as only the two sisters inherit. All were living at a property called Easterseat Carluke. Janet Haddow Married William Fell which is my connection with Mary marrying Andrew Hamilton of Spittlegill in Stonehouse parish.

There was also another larger family of Haddows living at Easterseat who became Haddens and moved to Dyke, in Carluke just down the road from Easterseat.

William Fell shown on the Forrest map at Easterseat in NLS map collection, He however ended up in court in 1820 and 1840 and a Baird is also mentioned, would this be the connection mentioned above which is Jean Baird? If so do we know what happened.

The Haddows lived at Easterseat for some time before this. Janet sold Easterseat to Gavin Hamilton.

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:19 am

Hello Douglas
[TS_welcome]
Any input is welcome on TS, hope you enjoy the forum
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

neak

Post by neak » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 am

Hi there

I know this thread is a few years old now, but I too am trying to track down Jane/Jean Bairds parents. 2 of my 2 x Great Uncle's ( John Kirkland Mather Baird) Daughters married into the Johnson family and it was said in the book 'No more tears for Jane' that my 2 x Great Uncles daughters were Janes Grand/Great Nieces. Which means that my 2 x Great Grandfather was Jane brother! he was James Baird born in 1800, Hamilton, Scotland and married a Grizzel (Grace) Somerville. He died 23 July 1847 in Hamilton Scotland, he was a Grocer/Spirits seller. In 1855 his Wife, son James Robert Baird moved to Australia settling in Melbourne. John was to follow later and settle in Ballarat, where his Mother Grizzel ( Grace) lived until she passed in 1884.

Finding Jane parents means I possibly find my 2 x Great Grandfathers parents too :) so far I have had no luck

Monique