Which census?

North, Central, South

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Which census?

Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi:)

I have Albert Mitchell Lennox 1899-1979. Albert was born in Morocco and died in England. I have his birth record for Morocco, but I can't find any 1901 census record for him.

Thank you. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Dennis,
Do you know that he was in the UK again by 1901? Seems likely he would still be in Morocco and thus there would be no census record.

Regards,
Sarah

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi SarahND,

So even tho there's a GRO birth record for him, and his parents are missionaries originally from Scotland, would there not be some overseas census for uk citizens born and/or residing overseas? Would it be a rep. of the uk foreign service that would hold any census on what uk nationals were in a particular country, or were there no census done on those folk?

Forgot to mention that he was the eldest of three children, all born in Morocco, there was also Jock in 1901 and Allan in 1903.

Regards, dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:21 am

Dennis

The UK censuses did not include UK citizens living outwith the UK (apart from, in some cases, those serving in the Royal Navy).

Such folk may appear in consular and other records, but not the UK domestic censuses.

mb

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 am

MB;

Does that mean those persons are no longer considered uk citizens? Would they not have to have notified any government office in the uk of their leaving the uk? I guess I thought that folk had to return to their homeland every 6 months or so for some reason.

dennis

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 am

Hello Dennis,

In case MB can’t get back to you immediately on that I’ll give you an answer.

Generally speaking I think you retain British Citizenship until the day you die unless for some reason you give it away intentionally by taking up citizenship of a country for which dual citizenship is unacceptable. The six months thing is probably just a modern day phenomenon more to do with welfare eligibility, residency status and the like and designed for the days of air travel.

If you look at the reasons for having a census you’ll see that logically the only country that should count overseas Britons is the country they’re living in.
http://www.sirgaerfyrddin.gov.uk/index. ... 7&docID=-1

Hope this helps,
Alan