Good site for North Muirton Perth 1750's - 1850's plse.

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

dimac

Good site for North Muirton Perth 1750's - 1850's plse.

Post by dimac » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:11 am

Hello all,
I have been searching 'Google' to find a good site with the history enhanced by pictures, for North Muirton, Perth around 1820 - 1836 preferably but slightly before or after these dates will be great.
Thankyou,
DiMac
Perthshire & New Zealand:
McLauchlan; Milne; Dunn; Galletly.
Sutherland, Caithness, New Zealand: Sutherland.
Orkney Islands: Shearer; Peace; Laughton; Sinclair; Tulloch; Spence; Laing; Johnstone.
Scotland: Skinner, Kennedy

bleckie

Re: Good site for North Muirton Perth 1750's - 1850's plse.

Post by bleckie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 am

Hi DiMac

From memory North Muirton Perth was built on agricultural land tennanted from Mansfield estates in the late 1960's

In the region of Perth's motor mile on the oposite side of the road was what I believe to be known as Clarks farm and am sure that
they bred clydesdale horses. They have now relocated in the region of Methven if it is still the same family.

I have somewhere a picture of the building of the old ice rink which is now a fast food outlet, the ice rink was built in the 1930's along with the rest of what is now Dunkeld road. if I can find picture I will let you know.

Also from memory I think the Earl of Mansfield put a proviso on the height of buildings that could be built at North Muirton as he could see them from Scone Palace but that could just be hearsay, but there is nothing taller than four storey's in North Muirton.

Yours Aye
BruceL

dimac

Post by dimac » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 am

Thank you BruceL for your prompt reply. You are a mine of information & I was very
interested in all you posted.
Why I asked was because my ancestor John McLauchlan was a ploughman in North Muirton
from 1825 - 1835 and that was also where their four children were born, the last son
in St, Martins. John must have worked on one of the estates. He was also known for
breeding clydesdales (in fact I have a diary which names Sires & which mares he put them to
and their offspring when he purchased his own property in Ashburton NZ.
Much appreciated,
DiMac
ps: When I was in Perth '08 a friend drove me around Hillyland which is now a mass of
ordinary houses, well - those that I saw.
Perthshire & New Zealand:
McLauchlan; Milne; Dunn; Galletly.
Sutherland, Caithness, New Zealand: Sutherland.
Orkney Islands: Shearer; Peace; Laughton; Sinclair; Tulloch; Spence; Laing; Johnstone.
Scotland: Skinner, Kennedy

JoeDuffy

Post by JoeDuffy » Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am

Hello,
I live in North Muirton housing estate as it is now. In fact, I can see from my window the place where the old North Muirton farmhouse used to sit. It actually survived the building of the housing estate around it and sat boarded up until about 1978/79 when it was demolished to make way for a centre for the handicapped, which is now closed itself. I was about nine or ten when the farmhouse was demolished and remember watching the demolition.

I'd also heard the story about the Earl of Mansfield and the proposed height of the buildings, don't know if it's true though. Story I'd heard is that they were told to float small balloons up to the proposed height and if he could see any of them from Scone Palace he was having none of it.

Regards,
Joe

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue May 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Greetings fellow NZ'er.

Were the likes of these maps for 1860 and 1866 of interest /

http://geo.nls.uk/search/#zoom=14&lat=5 ... FFFFTFFFFT

Perth & Clackmannan, PERTHSHIRE sheet XCV 111.1 and sheet XCV11.4

Have a play with the zoom function. There can be a lot of detailed notes, when you zoom right in to these old 25" maps.

Alan SHARP.