Placename - Inner Buist (I think)

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

rjpaton

Placename - Inner Buist (I think)

Post by rjpaton » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 am

I have an OPR marriage record (27/10/1785 OPR Marriages 387/0200 0160 Perth) which reads as follows:

"Perth, 15th day of October 1785 years Contracted. David Lindsay farmer in Catside? and Katherine Fisher daughter of the deceased Peter Fisher weaver in Inner buist?? in the Parish of Scone. Parties both in this parish. Deacon John Thomas. The persons before named were regularly proclaimed and married the 27th October said year by the Reverend Mr John Duff, Minister of the Gospel in Perth."

The ?'s refer to places I cannot find where they are. I am most interested in 'Buist' which appears to be near Scone, (it may also be Iuist). Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks
Robert
Paton, Bisset, McInroy, Lindsay, Fisher, Milne, Law, Campbell, Duff, Douglas - Perth
Cummock, Connell, Campbell, Kerr, Millar, Patrick - Renfrew

nelmit

Re: Placename - Inner Buist (I think)

Post by nelmit » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:18 am

Hi Robert,

You can see Innerbuist on this map (choose the top middle section) between Scone and St Martins. I can see a Gateside just west of 'Perth'. Could it be that?

Regards,
Annette

rjpaton

Post by rjpaton » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks very much Annette - that would be them. I was just searching for maps on the internet & I guess I was looking for the name as 2 words also. Thats a great map too - I will bookmark it. I was not aware of these at the NLA (but I guess I should have been).

Thanks
Robert
Paton, Bisset, McInroy, Lindsay, Fisher, Milne, Law, Campbell, Duff, Douglas - Perth

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Robert

If looking for places on maps we have a list of links here in the Talking Scot (virtual) Library:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3637

Best wishes
Lesley

smiddykilry

Post by smiddykilry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Hello
There is a Gate Side on the same map just bellow Gardrum

Smid
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.

rjpaton

Post by rjpaton » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 am

Thanks Lesley - I have been using these maps a lot now.

Thanks also Smid & Anette re the 'Gateside's. However on looking at the original I can't see a space for the 'e' and the first letter, comparing to others on the same page, does look like a 'C' (unfortunately there are no 'G's to compare with on this image). So I think it might be Calside but I can't see it anywhere on the maps (perhaps its my eyes). The record says 'both in this Parish' - ie Perth so Calside would have to be in the Parish of Perth?

Rob

annie1

Post by annie1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Robert,

If you look in the middle section of the map, right up at the top, you will see Cauldside, right beside Ordie Water.

Ann
Working on
Rust, Brown & Reid, Aberdeen
Knowles, Murray,Stephen& Mackie, Kincardine
Doig, Reid, Wilson & Keddie, Fife