Port Dundas area? FOUND, THANKS.

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

littlealison

Port Dundas area? FOUND, THANKS.

Post by littlealison » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:44 am

A query connected with the Glasgow Glass Works thread - in about 1865-70, where would the 'Port Dundas' area extend to?
Looking at the map now, it seems to have spread... and googlemaps is no help.
Last edited by littlealison on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

Hibee

Re: Port Dundas area?

Post by Hibee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:37 am

Hi Alison

Is this map any use? Look for the squares around VI.6.15

http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/glasgow_1_centre.html

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm

At the moment I can't find much of Port Dundas - I keep getting lost because I don't know the areas. Can you tell me where a road called Canal Bank is? My ancestor John Little lived there in 1871 and I know it's near the bottle works.
But I did find the bottle works in Lancefield Street.- their other works. And I found one in Hyde Park St, but I've still to find whether it is really connected with him or not.
Thank you! - Alison
PS - I also have a pic of a bottle works near Queens Dock, can you identify that? - 1870s, so maybe too late for this map?
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:07 pm

http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/view/? ... w_2_centre

Try this later map. I see a North Canal Bank Street.

And a Bank Street in here...

http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/view/? ... w_2_centre

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:46 am

I know I've been in the right area now, but - can't find a bottle works. Of course it may not have been there by then. thank you for the maps, I will keep the links.
Queens Dock must be still there then? I only have a photo, no idea where to look.

Another question. - I don't think the place here is going to be on these maps, it sounds like it was out of town then ? :
"....Stevenson and Little, glass bottle manufacturers at Camlachie and in Glasgow, to make certain alterations on and additions to their present buildings fronting Croft Street and Great Eastern Road.”
from the Glasgow Herald 1869 - these are the other people I'm chasing, Little being my gg-grandfather
Thanks for your help so far - Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Me again. I've found where Queens Dock was, and that the bottleworks there was earlier.
I see that Canal Bank got run over by the M8, and only the north bit is there now. Very built up with large blocks of flats! - I took a walk on StreetView. I also went to Lancefield St, small industrial and antiques, just a few Victorian walls still standing. - I spotted Bilslands bakery from 1880, which is being discussed on HiddenGlasgow.

Still interested in 1869 Camlachie and 'Croft Street and Great Eastern Road.' Anyone, please?
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:38 pm

littlealison wrote:A query connected with the Glasgow Glass Works thread - in about 1865-70, where would the 'Port Dundas' area extend to?
Looking at the map now, it seems to have spread... and googlemaps is no help.
A very good question !

The original Port Dundas formed the terminus of a branch of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the centre of Glasgow, linking to the adjacent Monkland Canal, hence the "Port" description. (There are several such canal "Ports" elsewhere in Scotland, e.g. Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverurie, and elsewhere ............)

Based on the canal transport readily available Port Dundas then became a significant industrial centre in the 19th century, with textile mills, chemical works, granaries, distilleries, glassworks, iron foundries, power stations and engineering works all operating in the area; so with a "Port Dundas" address.

The Port Dundas grain whisky distillery is still operating, just !, as it's scheduled for closure in the near future, which is a great shame as it will lead to no longer seeing cars pulled up on the hard shoulder on the M8 while drivers examine their brakes etc., to see what is producing the burning smell, - this being nothing more than the plume from the chimney of this grain distillery's byproducts plant "grounding" on the M8 when the wind is in the relevant direction. The smell comes from burning proteins !

As far as I'm aware some at least of the original Port Dundas basin still exists.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Dundas, and a Google for images.

The Forth and Clyde Canal was opened in the very late 1700s/very early 1800s. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_and_Clyde_Canal for an excellent map showing how Port Dundas fitted into the scheme of things.

A search of the LDS 1881 census for "Port & Dundas" produces a bit over 100 entries, most of which relate to Port Dundas Road, so what's needed here is an 1880s map of the area as it would be a reasonable supposition that most roads leading of Port Dundas Road would also be classified as Port Dundas.

mb

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:26 am

Hello Alison,

Here’s three results of a croft street and great eastern search in the 19C newspapers.

Glasgow Herald, Wednesday, November 24, 1875
Thomas Haddow, builder and joiner, Croft Street, Great Eastern Road, Glasgow, to be examined ….....… etc

Glasgow Herald, Monday, May 21, 1888
At 125 Great Eastern Road, corner of Croft Street, Vinegar Hill, on Wednesday …........etc (stuff for sale)

Glasgow Herald, Monday, January 21, 1895
Spirit businesses for sale, one at 117 Great Eastern Road and 1 Croft Street, known as “The Celtic Bar”

But I think you’ve seen a map showing these streets. I read somewhere that Vinegar Hill was in Camlachie.
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index ... opic=18689

Glasgow Herald, Thursday, February 27, 1879
List of properties to let
Eastern and Central
Workshops, Stores, &c., Bottle Works, Croft Street, Camlachie; divided to suit.

Glasgow Herald, Friday, March 1, 1889
At old Bottle-Works, Croft Street, Parkhead, on …....……. Sale of building materials ......…(tiles, slate, wood, metal, bricks, broken bricks, no mention of bottles – I think that’s the same place – it sounds like a demolition)

All the best,
Alan

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 pm

I now have a much better idea of where Port Dundas is/was. The canal map (like the London Underground) is particularly interesting. And I hadn't thought of looking at Wikipedia! I must find out how a sea lock works.
So, back to the Glasgow Herald for some later info. I'm pretty sure Archibald - and/or Peter - Stevenson went on making bottles, I'm not sure where, since the Caledonian bottle works was for sale in 1866, but perhaps that didn't happen. from what you've put here, Alan, it does sound like the Croft St works was demolished. I think a lot of pulling down/rebuilding went on at that time.
And yes, I've found the map again...
Have been looking at old pictures of Glasgow in 1870, to get a general idea of what the area was like - and found a photo of John Little's daughter-in-law's brother's steamer, the Carrick Castle, moored opposite the Broomielaw Quay in 1876! (Captain, Mr Willy Barr.)
Thank you both, Alan and mb, for the information - Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland