pre 1855 parish/distict boundaries South Glasgow

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

hannahscroft

pre 1855 parish/distict boundaries South Glasgow

Post by hannahscroft » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:49 am

Hi ,
Is there an plan or map pre 1855 showing the different boundaries of South Glasgow ie Barony,Cambuslang,Cathcart,Glagow,Glassford,Gorbals,Govan and Rutherglen.
I ask as my ancestors move around them all and it would be usfull to see if certain Districts or Parishes adjoined each other thereby making it more likely if they marry between thesr Districts . :?:

JustJean

Re: pre 1855 parish/distict boundaries South Glasgow

Post by JustJean » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Greetings from NZ.

There are some very good ones. I have photo copies from a book in the LDS library obtained 30 years ago. They are of the Environs of Glasgow, and of individual parishes, Renfrew, Lanark, Dumbarton - my area of interest. Unfortunately I can not now find credits for the map; eg who was the publisher. Lanark was on page 20. Scale seven English miles to a grid, many habitations are named.

If you do not find what you want, please feel free to send me a PM and we can make arrangements to onforward what I have.

Alan SHARP.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 am

Maps can often be found by searching Google Images. Search there for Glasgow Parishes, or anything else that comes to mind, then click ‘line drawing’ on the left. Amongst all the clutter you may actually find a parish map of Glasgow, like this one, ‘Parishes adjoining Glasgow’, posted on shottshistorygroup. http://www.shottshistorygroup.co.uk/Ggo ... parish.jpg

Alan

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 am

Greetings again.

The maps that I have copies of are full relief maps, showing roads, rail, water ways, named habitations, farms, and listing each parish, in the shire, by name and number. Renfrew 1 to 19, Lanark 1 to 47 etc.

Alan SHARP.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 am

Greetings.

Just added an image to the TS gallery. It shows the corner of a photocopied Renfrewshire Parish Map. I have three for the environs of Glasgow, which I find very helpful, but unfortunately have not kept any notes about the publisher. If anyone can identify the publication, I would be greatful for the information.

Alan SHARP.