streets in blantyre.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

drapadew

Streets in Blantyre

Post by drapadew » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:29 am

Hi Margaret.
Yes we did enjoy our summer,we played a lot of golf and recalled many old things about our Blantyre past.I have misplaced the photo of Sam and I, but as soon as I come across it I will repost.The other one must be flying around out there in space.
Good to hear that you and Russ are back on your travels to Scotland,I may get there myself in February for a couple of days,just a stop over from an other trip I will be on.
My regards to everyone in 0Z
TDH

Margaret

blantyre

Post by Margaret » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:23 am

Hello there TDH
More great memories as we stroll through Blantyre, I was just thinking how today our life is in so much of a hurry that we dont get to meet folk in our street, and how James could name all the families in Logan Street. My Mum must have carried on many scottish traditions with us as so many things you talk about are very similar to my years of growing up in New Zealand with Scottish Parents.
I have just found where I lived in Kilmarnock so now I am looking forward to being able to visit the street and walk to the school (which is still showing on the map) and maybe the park is still there that as a 6 year old I ran through the knee high leaves in the Autumn...and the policeman walking us home to the corner because it was nearly dark in the afternoons...and hot meals at lunchtime in the hall at school.
Well we are having really hot weather here just now, should get to over 100fah today.
Must away hope to hear from you soon
Cheers
Margaret
researching:: Morton, Miller, Finlay, McDonald, Bullock, Forrester. Glasgow and Kilmarnock areas

drapadew

Blantyre Streets

Post by drapadew » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:30 pm

Margaret!

As we leave John Street and the Castle Bar owned By John Forbes.The building with the turreted roof.See photo P37 OLD BLANTYRE.If you use this turreted roof as a reference point it will help you to place most of the streets and stores that I am talking about in this wee chat we are having.This is more or less the central point of the Glasgow Road (Main Street) in Blantyre. You can also see in the different photos the changes that had taken in the Glasgow Road (Main street) over the years.
If we take p37 as the central point,you see the girl standing fairly close to the telephone box at the corner of Church Street she is looking across the road at a van just outside the MARSHALL"S shoe shop,on the other corner from the Castle Bar.Behind her to her right would be the the Stonefield Church(which burned down In the 1970's)to her left would be the block which contained the Masonic hall Craig the butcher's and on to the Priory Bar. On the Corner of Logan Street you can just see the Ironmongers store entrance. A better view can be seen in p39,just where it says wines is the Priory Bar.The Man and the two boys are standing outside the Ironmongers,which in the 1950's a good part of this building was torn down and a new Post Office built.You can see that new Post Office were the two boys are standing. If you keep looking along to the right of the picture at the roof line ,where it makes the a high point and a flag pole sits on top ,this is the Masonic Hall and directly across the road is John Street.I do hope I am not repeating myself too much in my descriptions,but these history lessons do call for a precise and elaborate depiction for any future generatations to follow.
Margaret,I would again like to point out that all I am writing to you about is what I can recall from my youthful memory and are not taken from any historical books or notes,just from my plain old memory.

But before we leave John Street I would like you to look closely at the photo P37 OLD BLANTYRE with some magnification and tell me if you notice something strange about this photo,it is only after looking at it so often that I think I picked up a strange happening taking place within this photo.
I know it is a little late for Halloween, but I sure would like someone else to see what I think I see.When I look at this photo now I see a photo which I once thought to be a photo that had been taken just of this area, but now I am not so sure about that.I do believe that it tells a story of sorts.Have a look and tell me what you think.

There were a few stores along the Glasgow Road(Main Street) a grocers, a tobacconist,and one other little store,which I cannot place.Again this was a 2 storey tenement type building with entrances through a pen close and the homes were upstairs above the shops. The next store of any significance was the Labour Party store this was situated in a 3 storey block directly attached to the 2 storey.You can see the additional storey in the P37 Photo.
This 3 storey block of stores and houses was called the McAlpine Building,the building ended at the corner of Alpine Street.
The McAlpine building was well known to everyone in Blantyre and more so to our family,this was where our Step-Granny lived.She was Lithuanian and fairly plump in stature and I can recall when she would give me a hug she nearly smothered me in doing so.but I loved it and always looked forward to my meeting with her.Her windows, in this block were the top two looking directly down into Logan Street,she could see everything that was happening around that area and she sure did like to hang out the window to make sure that everything was going just the way she liked it and if it was'nt some one got to know about it.
One of the stores in this block was a fish and chip shop by the name of Allan's.Everyone in Blantyre knew of this shop,as it sold the best in Blantyre and it was always used as a reference point in Blantyre, as in. "Yea that's three streets past Allan's or its across the road from Allan's"
The Allan Family lived up the same pen close as my Granny and were well known people in Blantyre.
The next store was a Grocers by the name of Norris and next to them was an other grocers by the name of Hughe's.You can pick out the name Wm Hughe's in the photo P2 to the left of the car,for some reason that particular day they did not have their shades pulled out so you can see their name,or maybe he knew about the photo being taken and wanted a bit of free advertisment. My older sister worked in this store just before and right after she left school at 14years of age

Margaret have you noticed the stores in the photo that have their shades pulled down to protect their wares from the sun,as I spoke about previously we as kids ran about Blantyre in our bare feet most of the summer and I always remember it being warm.

When you look at the latest photo that I have enclosed in the Gallery "THE DOOKIT" You will see that the McAlpine building makes a right turn down Alpine Street.The homes down this street were the usual tenement type that we have been talking about.The only thing unusual about this set-up was that this whole block,all the buildings on the left hand side of John Street,the front of the block facing on to the Glasgow Road(Main Street),and the buildings on the right hand side of Alpine Street, plus a part of the public park all formed a square,and within this square there were all these coal bunkers, washhouses,poles with lines stretched across them for drying the clothes that had just been washed,and the kids playing in between.I don't know if you can picture this like I can.But it is a memory I have and I can tell you it was something to behold, especially when the wind got up and started blowing any sheets around and the whipping type of noise that was created.
The other or left side of Alpine street was taken up mostly with a produce store and a dancing school run by a Mrs Brown wife of the owner of the "Dookit" Picture Hoose which ran mostly all the way down to the Public Park

The "DOOKIT" oh! what memories it brings back to me as a child and even into my youthful years. There was an enchantment about this wee picture hoose which played a great part in our everyday existence.Saturday morning could not come around fast enough for us kids,so that we may go there and be thrilled and be educated with all the different ways of life which was new and shown to us through this medium.
You have to remember we did not have any TV, or Entertainment was mostly during the week limited to the B.B.C.Radio,We didn't even have a Scottish radio station in those days.One Station that was it.So you can see why we so looked forward to our Saturday Morning Pictures.
We sure did get a lot for our money. They would start out by showing the Movietone News which was a synopsis of all the latest news from around the world,this showing was, although we did not know it at the time probably our first exposure to the world outside of Scotland,hence the education I mentioned.
We would then sit back and enjoy one of our series "FLASH GORDON' a then future space odyssey, or the "LONE RANGER" with his sidekick "TONTO" and that beautiful white horse "SILVER" a great cowboy threesome.They then would show a short Disney Cartoon,Bugs Bunny,or one of that type.We would then go into a full feature fillum which in those days would last just nearly an hour and at the end of this the lights would go up and the Ice Cream girls would stand up at the front of the cinema with there trays of Ice Cream for about 15mins,in which time the place was in an uproar,most kids had held back from going to the toilets so there was always a queue formed to get into a space which was inadequate for the amount of kids in the cinema.A good few wee Jimmy's and Jessie's were getting up off their seats and looking for their pals to discuss the way that man got his face punched in and he sure deserved it,didn't he!.

There were ushers employed in those days whose job was to keep some sense of order in the Picture hoose.You also had to show them your wee stub of a ticket you had received from the pay kiosk in the foyer.They then in turn showed you to a seat or seats flashing their torches here and there, if the lights had been dimmed and the show already had started trying to find you a seat could go on all through the whole show and could be very interruptive. After the stop for refreshments and time for the projectionist to change his reels of fillum the lights would go down and the main feature would be shown.
There was many a time when something would happen in the showing of the fillum, the splicing of the various parts of the fillum would break apart,the speed would slow down or speed up because of some mechanical failure ,or the projectionist would fall asleep and not change the reels,or he would not change them fast enough for the crowd,so when this happened there was always the mumbling of angry voices and then the feet would begin to stamp on the floor,getting louder and louder and then the cry would be taken up BURN THE DOOKIT. BURN THE DOOKIT.I would not have that guys job for all the coal in the Blantyre pits,can you imagine this noise and this poor guy trying to feed or mend some old piece of fillum,a couple of break downs and the poor guy nerves had to have been shattered.This was one of the ways we showed our displeasure at the interruption of our fillums,and it was manifested 10xfold if it happened at a particular exciting part of the fillum, it was pandemonium and then an instant silence at the first flicker from the screen at the return of the fillum.

Movie was not a word in our Blantyre vocalbury,it was either we are going to the pictures or were going to see that new fillum with John Wayne.Another way we showed our discontent was to throw orange peel or wrappers up in to the rays of light that was being projected on to the screen.For some reason they always left the projection light on while they were trying to fix the fault of the interruption, this must have been for a quick re-entry of the fillum or could it have been just a safety measure of sorts ,just try and imagine what would have happened if they had brought the main lights up.
If you were far enough back at the position of the rays entry you could always make with your fingers those rude gestures and they would be projected on to the screen which would raise a good laugh throughout the Picture Hoose.
Margaret I am giggling away with this memory as I type ,we kids sure knew how to live it up when we got the chance.If you ever meet up with a Blantorian look him or her straight in the eye and say "BURN THE DOOIT" if this does not bring on a reaction of hysterical laughter then they are not from Blantyre

There is a picture on page 2 Old Blantyre or in TalkingScot Gallery under File 60/62 of the "Dookit" and the area around,you also get a good shot of the Glasgow Road all the way back to Forrest Street in the distance.The building directly across from the "Dookit" is the Central Buildings and you can also see a Bus Stop at this point.This bus stop was unique, in that you could only get off the bus there and no one was allowed to board the bus at this stop.WHY! I do not know WHY!

If you take another look at the Gallery Picture of the "Dookit" starting at the left hand side of the picture(In Blantyre everything was a picture to us the word photo was rarely ever used)you can see parts of the picture which would be showing some time in the following week WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING.This picture would receive more than the normal turn out,just because of the name and the life and whereabouts it was depicting,reason being, that about 50% of the folks who lived in Blantyre at this time were of Irish descent.On the larger displayed billboard at the top it tells that the picture will be shown at 6-15 and 8-30 nightly.It also tells us that the picture now being shown is a picture featuring LAUREL and HARDY.You have a small type window in between and then another frame with about six small pictures displayed.These were taken from the main reel of the picture and displayed here as a synopsis of the picture which was now being shown. This was how the coming attractions of the 1930-1960 was shown.Compare this to todays elaborate coming attractions now being shown in the Theatres.Todays coming attraction shows are a show within themselves with all of the elaborate sound systems and advertisements usually lasting as long as a small feature film.
Again take another look and you will see that there are two door openings into the picture hoose.The one to the right was the entrance to the cheap seats and the one to the left was for the more expensive seats.The cheap seats were about half the cost of the more expensive seats,but there were about ten times as many cheap seats as there were of the expensive ones.Above these two doorways there is a long billboard or poster being shown, what the words read I have been unable to dezypher and would appreciate any input of their intention.On the right hand side of the doors,here again are six wee pictures showing the coming attractions for maybe the next picture to be shown,which would start about Monday of that week and run until Wednesday of the same week, Thursday would then start another program.The Local picture halls in Scotland were never open on a Sunday.

It was the same with the pubs in Blantyre.They never opened on a Sunday,but if you walked over the suspension bridge over the Clyde and into Bothwell ,a distance of 2miles, you could go into the Bothwell Hotel and sign in your name as a bona fide traveller. You could then go into their bar and drink to your heart's content.It was the same all over.The people from Hamilton would drink in Burnbank ,Burnbank people would drink in Blantyre, Blantyre would drink in Bothwell.in other words as long as you were at least 2miles from your home you could pass yourselves off as a traveller and you could go to any Hotel that had a drinking license for a Sunday and drink away till closing time.So you can imagine how full the hotel bars got on a Sunday. Of course for the youths, the drinking was O.K but we wanted a bit of dancing and cuddling thrown in, so we used to hire a bus every Sunday evening and a crowd of us men and women,boys and girls who ever felt like going would motor over to Bathgate,we would then make for the nearest hotel sign in as travellers, have a few pints and then nip around the corner to the dancing.Of course all of the people attending or most of them were travelers from around a 50 mile area and were all strangers to each other(until the next week)so a great time was had by all.
This is the early 50's I am talking about,Rock and Roll was all the rage,and most were just starting to learn all of the shakes and twists associated with that style of dance,so everyone was dead keen to learn,which was all part of the fun.IT WAS A BLAST!!.The 50's and you were single.It was a great time to grow up with Elvis and the Beatles

After you pass the "DOOKIT"on the same side of the road there was a chemist store and then a newsagents store which was one of the places that sold our comics, the Dandy, Beano, Hotspur etc. Next door was LITTLES the bakers.This baker was again one of the places that sold the morning rolls just like Blacks did back at Forrest Street.There is no doubt that there was a difference in taste between the two rolls,so both bakeries were frequented by people and families with a particular taste for that roll.This may sound strange but there were people who would walk from one end of the town to the other just to have that roll for their breakfast in the morning,Our familys preference was for the LITTLE rolls.We also felt in our family that LITTLES made better cakes,and scones and overall was a better baker.Again just our preference.
I don't know Margaret, but these photos of Blantyre sure tell some strange tales of Blantyre if you look at them long enough you see some queer sights,FOR INSTANCE!,in this photo that I have been talking about P2 "The DOOKIT" at the end L.H side there are two boys and it looks to me like the older boy probably his brother is helping him to have a wee wee in the street and the mum in her body language is trying to say that they don't belong to me,just ruffians that's what they are.Did I not tell you that the "DOOKIT' had played a great part in our education,I do believe this was the French influence manifesting itself.These Blantyre boys,you just cant take them anywhere.

After LITTLES the bakers there was a paint and wallpaper store owned by Patersons the painters.One of my younger brothers worked for them as a painter.At that time you had to serve four years as an apprentice,and as soon as you had became a Tradesman which would be around the age of 18years, the government would conscript(National Service) you into the army for 18 months.Because of the Korean War Mr Atlee came along and put an extra 6months on the conscription.This happened to most young men from 1949 up until 1960.The only exceptions were Coal Miners, Farmers, and Merchant Navy,but you had to do 8years in either one of these professions before you were excused.This was another reason why a lot of young men shortly after the war emmigrated.Some even went down the Coal Mines to try and miss going into the forces and regretted doing so.Now! here was their fathers,they had tried very hard to make sure that their sons did not go through the humiliations of life that they had experienced and here was the government enforcing on their sons a ultimatum which the sons in their 18year old worldly ignorance were forced to make a choice on,it was this or that,no in betweens.Now there may have been smarter young men at 18years than I was growing up around me in Blantyre and if there were they probably had brains enough to get out of the British Isles before the government caught up with them,I was just one of those dozy kids who did not know his A#*e from his elbow,but what I did know from my dad was that I was not going down any Coal Mine,so the Army was my sort of choice,with a lot of help from the government,or else. No regrets on my part even after all these years,and I am sure there were a lot like myself who received an education into a lot of different facets of life while doing their stint in the forces.
Patersons store finished on the corner of the building and from there a dirt and cobbled stone road ran down into the Public Park.The public park is now running from the middle of John Street---on past Alpine Street----past the cobble road just mentioned and on to finish close to the monument, within a rose garden,dedicated to ?????????????maybe someone in Blantyre can have a look at the monument and fill us in on the name. The Monument is situated on the right-hand side of Glasgow road going north up the incline towards Station Road. The monument is an archway design and was situated within the rose garden at the main entrance into Blantyre Public Park.But it is now in my opinion, just hanging around in its present situation. MY!!. MY!!. What have they done to Blantyre.!!

Have a wonderful XMAS Margaret.Talk to you in the New Year!!
Regards to you
TDH

Margaret

Blantyre

Post by Margaret » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:09 am

Well hello there, Merry Christmas to you and yours and a safe and happy 2007. :D
Just been looking at the photo on page two and still not sure what I am looking for :? but will keep on and tell you my ideas after New years. As I read your memories, even down to the sound of the wind in the sheets I can imagine you as a young lad enjoying your life, I to was luaghing at your story of the visit to the movies. Im thinking we are of the same vintage and a country town in New Zealand sounds very similar to Blantyre in the 50's, with movieton news as our look out into the big world ect makes me think back and the wonderful and not so wonderful memories of those day. Thank you for getting this old brain into working condition again :)
Looking forward to the next walk, mind you I will have to get a new pair of walkers the others are wearing thin. :lol:
Now next year we will be staying in Birmingham, Bedford, Alkeld, London and Cornwall to name a few, Russ and I would love to buy you a pint if you are anywhere near those places
See you in 2007 with more wanders through the streets of Blantyre.
Best regards
Margaret
Cheers
Margaret
researching:: Morton, Miller, Finlay, McDonald, Bullock, Forrester. Glasgow and Kilmarnock areas

Margaret

Girl on Page 37

Post by Margaret » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:36 am

Hello TDH, I have some interesting news to tell you I have been sending your notes to my cousin's husband who grew up in blantyre and his Granny lived in Logan Street and he has just sent me a email to tell me that the girl on Page 37 is my cousin Betty...now how about that. alex lived at 57 Small Crescent and is really enjoying your stories.
Hope you had a great Christmas
Cheers
Margaret

drapadew

Blantyre Streets

Post by drapadew » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:50 pm

WELL HOW ABOUT THAT!!!!!
Fantastic Margaret!!
A couple of years ago I was having a discussion about the same photo in Blantyre and this person mentioned at the time,that he knew the girl in the photo,but I have forgotten her name since then.I will make a point of talking to this person on my next visit to Blantyre- Febuaray 2007 and find out what he knows of her.
I of course will provide this info, if any, to you through a private message.
Have a Guid New Year and
Lang Me Yer Lum Reak
TDH
Researching--Findlay,Finlay,Millar,Bulloch,Dunsmuir,Dunsmore,Hart,Naismith,Livingstone
Ireland--Glasgow. Carroll.Wilson,Forrester, Gallacher.

drapadew

Gallery

Post by drapadew » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 am

Andrew Hi!
I would like your permission to post four photos I took of Blantyre in 2006 These as a comparison to the photos OF OLD BLANTYRE taken back in the early 1900"s.
These photos to be used in my next ramblings of Blantyre Streets.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-993
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-994
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-995

Thanking You
TDH

* Administrator Note-only three pictures were waiting approval.

Gallery url added by marilyn

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:23 am

If these are your own photos, then there is no copyright issue. You may need to reduce the resolution to allow the Gallery to accept them.

All the best,

AndrewP
Paterson ... Midlothian, West Lothian (the Calders, Dalmeny, Ratho)
Muir ... Midlothian (Ratho)
Orr, Cruickshanks, Nimmo ... Lanarkshire (Shotts / Harthill)
Downs ... Stirlingshire (Slamannan, Falkirk)

drapadew

Post by drapadew » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Andrew.
Any chance of getting file 7/654 in the Gallery moved next to the other three files I recently posted.
TDH

Margaret

Logan Street

Post by Margaret » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Hello there TDH
Happy New Year there, may 2007 be a great one. I have just been talking to my cousin and his Grannie lived in a upstairs flat on the left in Logan Street between Auchinraith Rod and Glasgow Road he cant reemember the number. So this world is getting smaller and smaller, I have since found out that my Mum's family moved to Blantyre around the 1915's so checking that out now. Looking forward to some more walks through Blantyre in 07, even real walks :)
Cheers
Margaret