Locating an old 'town' name

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

allisonmanor

Locating an old 'town' name

Post by allisonmanor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:23 am

Looking at a copy of the 1841 Scotish Census, it it possible that an ancestor of mine lived in an area called "CLAY HOLES" within the Parish of Beith. I am unable to idenitify if this is a street name, a village name or what.
Can anybody assist me!
Leo Allison, Lilydale, Vic AUS
Last edited by allisonmanor on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

WilmaM

Re: Locating an old 'town' name

Post by WilmaM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Leo , and welcome to Talking Scot :D

I had a look at some old maps on NLS, I couldn't find a Claypots in the Beith area, but I did locate a Clayholes.
that area is riddles with mine and quarries [coal, Limestone, Sandstone and clay] so It's no surprise to find a Clay -something there.

The 1856/8 map can be found here:
http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/view/?sid=74425796 if you look at the bottom left corner Clayholes is just below 'The Den'.

It's not there on any modern map though, closest would be 'Glenlora' at Little Barrkip.

You didn't mention the name of the family you were looking at there, sometimes looking at the households on either side can help locate a place name. I use FreeCen for that.

If you can give us a little more info, we may be able to pinpoint the place better.
Wilma

allisonmanor

Post by allisonmanor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks Wilma for your reply. I have erred in the naming of the town (location) and Yes it is CLAY HOLES as you have suggested. Thanks for the hints on its location, I will now study the map coordantes that you suupplied. Regards Leo

allisonmanor

Post by allisonmanor » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:48 am

To Wilma
Once again, thanks for the info on the CLAYHOLES for me. It was great to actually see the town on a map. I am hopefully following a John & Jean ALLISON who are appearing on the 1841 Census along with some family members and then again on the 1851 Census at a residence on Head St Beith. My connection is their son Henry who departed Scotlands shores in 1853 and arrived in 'Hobarttown' aboard the 'Coromandel'. But that will then open up another can of worms when I attempt to research possible newspaper advertisements for employment opportunities down in Tasmania.
Once again, thanks for the info. Leo

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 am

Glad we tracked it down for you.
On the 1850's map it just looks like a farm or farm stedding but the 1841 census shows over 200 people living at Clayholes Beith, so it must have been fairly extensive. or else Clayholes covered a wider arrea. Many of them seem to be connected to weaving, possibly cottage industry.
A later map shows the area to be crisscrossed by colliery railway tracks, so they might have had to move into town.
Wilma