Cartside House, Kilbarchan

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Morag_Gunn

Cartside House, Kilbarchan

Post by Morag_Gunn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 pm

I am attempting to locate precisely where "Cartside House" may have been located in Kilbarchan/Johnstone/Paisley area abt 1841. My Robert Stewart brn abt 1806 , son of Robert and Mary Murdoch, was living there at 1841 C. Thanks in advance for any pointers in helpful direction.

WilmaM

Re: Cartside House, Kilbarchan

Post by WilmaM » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 pm

I expect Russell [our Kilbarchan guy] will be along soon, but in the meantime I had a quick look at my favourite 'toy'
the NLS map overlay gadget.

http://geo.nls.uk

I found a Cartside Avenue in the Milliken Park area of Johnstone, and overlaid the google street map with the OS 6 Inch 1843 map.
Lo and behold there was a Cartside House at the junction of the modern day Cartside Avenue, Beech Road and Ryefield Avenue. There;s a cartside Villa too, just NE at The Oaks. No trace of the original to be seen as those are all Council Houses built probably mid-war.

There was a Cartside Mill beside the river at that time too, looks as if some old buildings are still in use there.
Wilma

Morag_Gunn

Post by Morag_Gunn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:51 pm

How very very cool to have a "Kilbarchan Guy" ! Thanks Wilma, I LOVE your "toy" and will get to playing with it myself...thanks for the co-ordinates for Cartside House and the learning about sourcing my own co-ord info. This site a gem for this genealogy nerd.

Morag_Gunn

Post by Morag_Gunn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:58 pm

wilma - got it! thanks for turning me on to (for me) a new gadget - nls maps may keep me from reading what i should be reading today.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

It's addicting, I couldn't get my PC back once I [foolishly] showed it to my hubby!
Wilma

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Morag

According to Wilma I'm the 'Kilbarchan Guy' Not quite sure how to take that :D :D
The river Cart flows between Kilbarchan and Johnstone so there are several places with names using the Cart as part of the name. I did have a photo of Cartside cottages where there were several families living in 1841 but I think I lost it when my previous computer crashed on me. Sorry !
Was your Robert Stewart involved in the weaving trade? Some of the folk at Cartside were incomers to the village and were marginalised as 'piecers' and 'pirn winders' because the established weavers in the village tried to protect their trade as mechanised weaving was being developed in Paisley and beginning to take their livelihoods away from them.
Did he die in Kilbarchan as I may have burial records for him even if he had no gravestone. ?

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Morag_Gunn

Post by Morag_Gunn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi KG (Kilarbarchan Guy):

You may be on to something ; Robert Stewart brn 1806 - not sure where - long story ...dies 1856 at Johnstone - family anecdote makes claim he buried "Johnstone Church Yard", but no evidence offered to support claim. He is listed (super consistently in records as "Teacher of English"). Anecdotes suggests his fam weavers from Paisley/Glasgow, so that fits with outsider thing -

His wife Janet Cardie, brn abt 1803 at Kilbarchan married 1829 at Johnstone, is off a family of weavers (Janet brn to Robert Cardie /Cardy and Eliza Murray). Jnaet's parents married at Eastwood. No idea yet where Eastwood is in relation. I wonder now if Eastwood/Kilbarchan / Johnstone weaving families of similar, or diff ilks - I am going to use the NLS Maps to suss a precise location for Eastwood today - thanks for your interest, KG.

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello Wilma,

During the past few weeks the NLS has been uploading to the Internet Archive “Ordnance Survey of Scotland, Books of reference to the 25 inch parish maps of Scotland, 1855-1882” http://archive.org/search.php?query=25% ... pe%3Atexts

As an example, in Abbey Parish index to places there’s Cartside House on page 92 with the map no. XI.7
http://archive.org/stream/ordnancesurve ... 4/mode/2up

If you go back to XI.7 on page 42 there’s the number on the map for the house, 1606.
http://archive.org/stream/ordnancesurve ... 4/mode/2up

The titles in the top link don’t always say what’s what and I don’t think the OCR text layout is good enough to easily find stuff in the books. If you think it would be of any use I could post some clearer links to the front page of the read online version of each of the 22 volumes in “Research Sources” or wherever.

All the best,
Alan

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Glasgow Herald, Monday, September 8, 1851

COUNTRY RESIDENCE TO BE LET,
Furnished or Unfurnished, for One or more years, CARTSIDE HOUSE, in the neighbourhood of Johnstone, and near the Cochran Mill Station of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway.
It contains Dining Room and Drawing Room, Six Bed Rooms, Kitchen, Laundry, Servants’ Hall, Three Water Closets, &c., with Byre, Washing House, &c., &c., adjoining.
The Gas is fitted up, and River Water filtered is led through the House in Pipes. There is excellent Spring Water on the Premises.
The Ground connected with the House is well enclosed, and measures about Eight Imperial Acres.
Apply to John Anderson, Clerk, Cartside Mill, near Johnstone.
September, 1851.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_U ... %2C6278328

Alan

Morag_Gunn

Post by Morag_Gunn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Alan: Thank you - for the record about Cartside House, and also lifting the the possibilites of google news - I would not have thought of this route - thanks - info very much appreciated.