clasgarraig

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

utrecht003

clasgarraig

Post by utrecht003 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:49 pm

great grandfather was born 1868 in the parish of Muckairn. A place called (Looks like) 'clasgarraig' Is also on the birth cert.as the place of birth. has anyone perhaps any Idea what this place might be A croft,a house ? He was born illigimate to a lady called kitty macleod a maid servant. with thanks

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: clasgarraig

Post by AndrewP » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Utrecht003,

See my reply in 2008 to this question at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12148&p=94361&hilit ... aig#p94361

The map gives no indication of the size or use of the building at Clasgarraig. On seeing the location on a modern map, I would speculate that it was probably a croft or farm of some sort. You would need to find it on a census and see what the occupations of the adults were to see if there are any clues to be had there.

All the best,

AndrewP

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 am

Hello Andrew and Utrecht003,
The only household I can easily come up with in 1871 that sounds something like this is this one:

Mason's House Clashgenech, Muckairn, Argyll
Duncan Mckillop, 42, Head, born Kilmore, Argyll, Mason
Catherine Mcphee, 39, Sister, born Kilmore, Argyll, Mason's Sister
Peter Mcphee, 15, Nephew, born Kilmore, Argyll, Mason's Nephew

That is from the Ancestry transcription, since that is the easiest site on which to search an address. On Findmypast the place is written: CLASHYERRECH

All the best,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Utrecht003 and Sarah,

Having taken a look at the 1871 census page, I am happy to go with FMP's transcription. It seems to be the right place as the next property on the page is close by on the 1801 map. There are five properties shown on that page - four inhabited by crofters or farmers, and the one inhabited by a mason (Clashyerrech).

All the best,

AndrewP

utrecht003

Post by utrecht003 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm

hi Sarah and Andrew,at last I've got back to you. Clagsgarraig ; clashgenech ; clashyerrech,they all seem to have a similar sound ,It's times like this that I had a knowledge of Gaelic. However I recieved some while ago a 100 + pages of Scottish place names and their Gaelic meanings from a lady at Inverness University. example-Clashnamuilach (Ross) Clais Nam Maigheach. "the Ditch of the Hares" or Clashnabuiac ; (Ross) Clais Nam Buidheag. "The Ditch Of The Yellow Flowers.
Now any one.Clash__genech or Yerrech. But thankyou for your replies. the search for my great grandfather goes on awhile yet. Utrecht.

alex19canteen

Post by alex19canteen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 pm

"Clashyerrech" looks like it could be Clais Dhearg, dhearg is aspirated dearg = red, pronounced "jerrag". The addition of the h would change the pronunciation to "yerrag" or "gyerrag". It's an idea anyway :|