Black Bull Inn - Haddington.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Dennis

Black Bull Inn - Haddington.....

Post by Dennis » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks to the free access to the archives of The Scotsman I have found a notice that a George Gallpen took proprietorship of the Black Bull Inn in Haddington not long after marrying Sarah Perkins May 5th 1849, whose mom had happened to be an Innkeeper herself.

I'd be interested to know who owned the inn both prior and subsequent to George, it may lead me to find out when he disappeared as he is not around after 1852.

I have uploaded the notice from The Scotsman.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-298

dennis

URL added - AndrewP
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Dennis

Did you ever find out who owned it?

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Hi Dennis

Have you looked at the National archive at

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/sasines.asp

All changes of ownership of property should be registered and aught to be archived here.
I haven't accessed them myself yet but will need to sometime in the near future.
Worth a look though.

Russell

m
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Marianne .B

Re: Black Bull Inn - Haddington.....

Post by Marianne .B » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 pm

I am the grt, grt, Grandaughter of George Gallpen, 1824 New Church, IOW and died 8th may 1865 in West Taieri, New Zealand, 1865, he came to Australia 1851 on the ship Asia and married Wilhelmina Weeks 14th Feb 1854,and died 24th April 1965 in West Taieri, New Zealand, I can give you more details of his family if you give me your email, mine is
ebraybbATbigpond,com
I live in Australia, his son also George born 1855 and died 1931 the only living child became a orpan and came back to Australia and was made a ward of the State of Victoria, Australia, George married Emma Branch b, 1880 -1943
Cheers Marianne Bray

e-mail address edited @=AT Russell

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:05 am

Hi Marianne

[welcome] to Talking Scot. Bringing folks together is as much fun as solving the inevitable brick walls. Hopefully Dennis will reply fairly quickly. If he doesn't get in touch fairly soon you could send him a Personal Message (the PM button on any of his posts ! :) )
I was brought up quite near Haddington so this thread interested me.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 am

The Black Bull Inn shows up on the 1890s Ordnance Survey street map of Haddington (bottom centre of the map).

It is still there, and has been called The Pheasant since I first worked in Haddington in the mid-1980s (and how long before?). It closed in 2009, and remains boarded up two years later, waiting on somebody doing somnething with it.

The current view shown on Google Maps streetview has to be at least a year or two old, and shows The Pheasant open for business. click here

All the best,

AndrewP

PeterTowey

Post by PeterTowey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 am

Hi, I too am interested in George Gallpen of the Black Bull, Haddington. His wife, Sarah Perkins, was the daughter of my 4 x great grandparents, John Perkins & Mary Dickson. My ancestry through them also includes Perkins, Dow and Reilly.
Are you still interested? I know it is nearly 10 years since your post. But here's hoping!

Peter Towey

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:03 pm

Hello Peter and a warm [TS_welcome]
Marianne hasn't been on the forum since October of 2011, but she did give her email address in her post, so maybe you can contact her that way. Fingers crossed she hasn't changed her address!

Best wishes,
Sarah