Can someone please read this?.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

ninatoo

Can someone please read this?.....

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 26, 2006 12:41 am

Hi all,

I have just downloaded a small image of a birthplace on the 1901 census for my John Simpson. It is in Lanarkshire. I would appreciate it if someone could help decipher it when it is approved in the gallery.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-561

Nina

Gallery URL added - AndrewP
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri May 26, 2006 3:27 am

Looks like Lanarkshire Glagow to me
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 26, 2006 4:11 am

Oops, sorry I didn't make myself clear....it is the first written entry under the "do" and do"

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri May 26, 2006 4:20 am

Hi Nina

Can you tell us what area the first "do" is??? It would help to narrow up just where in the whole Country this is!! So far it's looking like Braeehine or Brauhine to me which makes no sense whatsoever!!

Best wishes
Jean
:?

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 26, 2006 4:39 am

The entry is below a Lanarkshire entry about 7 lines above. All seven lines say 'do' 'do' (meaning all seven people were born in Lanarkshire Glasgow). Then it gets to my rellie, where it says 'do' and an unreadable place name. So it is in Lanarkshire somewhere.

Nina

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri May 26, 2006 5:54 am

I read it as Bracehine- which could be, from Wikepedia.

''Barrachnie (Grid reference NS665640)) is deemed a part of the Glasgow suburbs of Garrowhill and Baillieston. It was an ancient fermtoun which was mentioned in the Glasgow Protocols and had many entries in the rental book of the Bishopric of Glasgow in the Middle Ages. The first coal mined in the Baillieston district was in the Barrachnie pit.

The etymology of the name is not easy as it has appeared under many configurations and its evolution to the present form is difficult to understand as it is pronounced 'Brachney' - just as it was in the 15th.century.''

P.S. I have also heard it pronounced Brachiney, with the 'i' as in 'tin'. Brach-i-ney.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 26, 2006 6:33 am

Thanks Ian,

Any idea which registration district that would come under in the 1860's?

Nina

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri May 26, 2006 7:03 am

Hi Nina,

The 1890s parish map shows Barrachnie to be in Old Monkland, close to the boundary with Barony. From 1855 to 1874, Barony was split into three registration districts - Maryhill 622/1, Springburn 622/2 and Shettleston 622/3. Old Monkland was also split into three registration districts Old Monkland (Western District) 652/1, Old Monkland (Middle District) 652/2 and Old Monkland (Eastern District) 652/3.

Looking at that map, it looks like you should be considering (for your first choices) Old Monkland (Western District) 652/1 and Shettleston 622/3.

All the best,

AndrewP

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 26, 2006 7:14 am

Thanks for your help Andrew. I think I have found him at IGI: John Simpson father John, mother Mary Harkness, born 1863 Old Monkland. I will need to search for him and his parents in a few days as I have come down with a nasty head cold or flu (can't make up my mind how bad it is yet) and my mind is fogged.

Thanks again everyone,

Nina

Doddsie4

Re: Can someone please read this?.....

Post by Doddsie4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 pm

I was born at Barrachnie in 1943 and still live there. I was wondering what the name of the street was that John Simpson lived in. A lot of the oldest houses on Baillieston Road, near Barrachnie Cross were knocked down, away back in the late fifties or early sixties.