Renfrew

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Kathy

Renfrew

Post by Kathy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:55 am

I have a marriage entry from 1773.

William Semple son lawful of James Semple farmer in Porter Fields & Jean Faulds, Daughter lawful of James Faulds workman in Renfrew, Both parishioners booked their names in order to marriage Jan 23rd 1773

Can anyone tell me anything about Porter Fields Renfrew, is it a place? I have checked the Gazetteer, nothing there.

Kathy
McNeil, McNeill, Craig, Orr, Mitchell, McArthur, McMillan, McGregor, Gray, Dixon, Graham, RFW, Port Glasgow, Greenock & Paisley.
Thornton, Lynch, Flood, Sexton, County Cavan Ireland.
Appleby, Cardiff, Wales,Cooke, Holder, Gloucestershire, England

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Kathy,

Porter Fields might be the name of the farm. There is still a Porterfield Road in Renfrew - using the postcode PA4 8HG and multimap.com will show you roughly where the area may have been.

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Kathy

Post by Kathy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Thanks Brian,

I have been doing a bit of Google'ing, it seems Porter was the name of the local landowners going back a number of centuries.

It probably started of as Porter's fields, then eventually just Porterfield.

Kathy
McNeil, McNeill, Craig, Orr, Mitchell, McArthur, McMillan, McGregor, Gray, Dixon, Graham, RFW, Port Glasgow, Greenock & Paisley.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi Kathy

The modern Porterfield is on the banks of the river - the White Cart Water and is where Babcock Engineering have/had a huge boilermaking and engineering works for many years.

The names Semple and Faulds are still 'weel kent' names in Renfrewshire.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:13 pm

You can easily find Porterfield in the heart of Renfrew on this 1823 map from NLS.

Kind regards,
Annette M

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Kathy

You got lucky in finding an OPR for a marriage that gave at least the names of the fathers, if not the mothers, of the bride and groom. To bad that they all weren't like that. :)

I have two OPRs that don't even mention where the bride an groom are from. I have one that gives the bride's father's name but doesn't mention the groom's father.

It really is a lottery, isn't it. :roll:

Regards,
Sheila

Kathy

Post by Kathy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 pm

I was extremely lucky with this particular OPR, and it is legible, looking over the entries on the same page for Baptisms & Marriages, all of the entries give loads of information.

I’ve looked at quite of few OPR’s of late, but none as good as this particular one.

Kathy

Anniespangles

Re: Renfrew porterfield origins

Post by Anniespangles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi.I was told that the first Porterfield decendant was a fella named Charles De Porter and that he had a brother William,they were French and came over during the Norman conquest.Charles came up to the Renfrew area and bought land.Apparently if you go to Paisley Abbey you can see the name change from De Porter to Porter to Porterfield as they became landowners/farmers.Ive never been to the Abbey but I ve been told this by another relative.There is a story about what happened to William De Porter,I think he went to the East coast and Charles to the West.

StewL

Re: Renfrew

Post by StewL » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:50 am

Hello Anniespangles

[TS_welcome]

I was looking at this post again as my gggrandmother was Janet Porterfield from Renfrew :)
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Currie

Re: Renfrew

Post by Currie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 am

Hello All,

According to this book Porterfield was the name given to ground given to the Porter of Paisley Abbey in the medieval period.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=wlY ... 22&f=false

The role of the Porter is mentioned a few times in the first couple of chapters of “The Abbey of Paisley” by J. Cameron Lees. http://archive.org/stream/abbeyofpaisle ... 7/mode/2up

In this next book, “Origines Parochiales Scotiae“ you’ll find at top of page 77.
“In 1361, Robert the steward granted to Paisley half a merk from Porterfelde beside Reynfru, and in 1399, Robert Porter of Porterfield gave the monks a small annual rent from burgage tenements in Renfrew, and confirmed a former grant of his father, Stephen Portar, a name plainly derived from an old hereditary office.” http://www20.us.archive.org/stream/orig ... 6/mode/2up

No idea really,
Alan