The disappearing Archibald McLellan

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

ellenavon

The disappearing Archibald McLellan

Post by ellenavon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:04 pm

Hello everyone. I have been "off the boards" for a few months, having taken (very!) early retirement/redundancy, and have been setting up own business. Phew - harder work than working! But delighted to have some time for my hobby again now.

I have been researching a friend's tree, as a present for his mother's 80th birthday on Hogmanay. Have done well on it, and found it just as engrossing to do someone else's as one's own. But would like to try to tie up some loose ends before handing it over to the family, and could use some help with one line. (Had some help with these McLellans some months ago - thanks!)

Will try to keep this succinct!

The birthday girl's great grandfather John McLellan 1807-1867 did really well for himself, being born the son of a boatman in the parish of Cambuskenneth Abbey, and becoming a distiller's clerk, then going on manage and then to own at least part of Glengoyne Distillery in Strathblane, along with George Connell. I have a copy of his will.

My real challenge is his eldest son, Archibald, who is the birthday girl's great uncle.

On John McLellan's death in 1867, Archibald took over the running of Glengoyne Distillery, and inherited the part owned by John McLellan.

I have him on the 1871 census, living at Burnfoot, Strathblane, the family home, as head of the household with his brothers Alexander, Peter, Richard (the direct line ancestor) and a servant girl. (Mother died shortly after birth of Richard)

In 1876, George Connell and Archibald sold Glengoyne Distillery to Langs.

And Archibald promptly disappeared off the face of the earth! I can find no record of him anywhere after 1876. Not on the 1881, no marraige in Scotland or death. I have been in touch with Glengoyne Distillery, and they were very pleasant and helpful, but had no relevant information.

I believe that he and possibly both Peter and Alexander, his brothers, must have emigrated - but to where, and when????

Archibald's details are:

Archibald Glen McLellan, ch. 30 April 1842, Bathgate, Linlithgow.

brothers
Alexander Campbell McLellan, b.26 Sept 1845, Bathgate
Peter McLellan, ch. 27 August 1848, Balfron, Strathblane

Richard McLellan, ch 24 April 1850, Balfron. I have him all through his life to his early death in 1902.

I do have ancestry sub, but am at a bit of a loss as to how to go about tracing him on the emigration/passenger records. Have given it a tentative shot, with no success, so any suggestions as to where/how to look would be gratefully received. Or even direct answers would be wonderful at this late stage - normally like to find things for myself, but her birthday is in 3 weeks!!

Many thanks for sticking with the long story.

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Ellen

Could this be Archibald's marriage on the IGI ?

ARCHIBALD GLEN MCLELLAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH YOUNG Family
Marriage: 05 MAY 1873 Leith, Midlothian, Scotland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M116921 1855 - 1875 6035516 REGISTER Film NONE

Sheet: 00

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi Ellen,

Found this while googling for Archibald McLellan and Glengoyne.

http://www.ecocktail.de/en/datenbank/wa ... e/G5.shtml

Glengoyne - Scotland
Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky
time of storage: 8 years
80 and 86 Proof/40 and 42 Vol.-%
Distillerie Glengoyne (one of the Highland-Malt-Distilleries situated in the south) in Killearn, founded by Archibald McLellan in 1833, in possession of the Family Lang Brothers Ltd., that fused with the Family Robert & Baxter Ltd., this Single Malt is also used for light Blended Whiskies.

Could this be young Archibald's uncle? Could he have gone to work for his uncle?

Or have that site got their names and dates all wrong?
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 pm

Ellen

On ScotlandsPeople there is an Archibald Glen McLellan died 1876 aged 36 at Strathblane I didn't have enough credits to view it.

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Ellen,
Are we to assume that these brothers would be well-off? In 1880 I can find an Archie McClellan of the right age as a laborer at a lumber camp in Michigan and an Alex of the right age as a herder in the plains of Nebraska... but would that fit?

If the death Sally found is the right person, then maybe we are only looking for Alex and Peter.

Regards,
Sarah

By the way, early retirement is the way to go :D Did it myself last May and am still smiling 8) :lol:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:06 pm

Here are some more to put in the pot, but I'm not too happy about any of them. Especially since the death record found by Sally sounds so convincing.

Anyway, after digging around a bit more, I like this "loan agent" in 1900 better than the laborer. The month of birth is correct, but it is one year off. The family came to the U.S. from Canada in 1882
This one would only work if he had already left Scotland at the time he sold the distillery. Is that possible from what you know?

1900 328 Calumet Ave, Detroit City, Wayne County, Michigan
McClellan Archie, head, b. Apr 1843, age 57, married for 31 years, b. in Scotland
___ Janet, wife, born in May 1849, age 51, married for 31 years, 5 children born, 4 still living, b. in Canada (her parents were both born in Scotland)
Hubbard, Janet, daughter, born Dec 1873, age 26, married 10 years, 1 child born, 0 still living, born in Canada
Stockton, Alma, daughter, born May 1876, age 24, married 2 years, 1 child born, 0 living
McKinnon, Christa, sister-in-law, b. Apr 1841, age 59, married 40 years, 12 children born, 11 living, born Canada, (father & mother born Scotland), came to U.S. in 1900

There are 2 no-name McLellans in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1901:
McLellan, male, Head, born 23 July 1848, age 52, came to Canada in 1882, Foreman
McLellan, Widron, wife, born 15 Mar 1847, age 53, born in Iceland
___ Alga, daughter, born 1 May 1886, age 14, born in Manitoba, Canada
___ Wm, son, born 22 Nov 1883, age 17, born in Manitoba, Canada

McLellan, Head, born 10 April 1841, age 59, born in Scotland, came to Canada in 1889, Contractor
___Anna, wife, born 15 July 1835, age 65, born in Scotland, came to Canada in 1889
___ Albert, son, born 18 May 1884, age 16, born in Manitoba, Machinist
___Maggie, daughter, born 18 Feb 1870, age 30, born in Ontario
Macfarlane, A, son-in-law, born 15 Nov 1863, 37, Sscotland, came to Canada in 1882, Engineer
__ Annie, wife, born 28 July 1867 in Ontario, age 37
__ Wm, son, born 23 June 1896, age 4, born in Manitoba
__ Agnes, daughter, born 23 March 1897, age 3, born in Manitoba
__Ethel, daughter, born 9 April 1899, age 1, born in Manitoba

And you probably found all the enticing Peter D McLellans who kept arriving in Boston from Nova Scotia. He seemed like the right guy until I finally pinned him down on the census in Boston and he was born in Nova Scotia :(

Oh well, I'm afraid I haven't helped you. Maybe they went to Australia?

Good luck,
Sarah

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:43 am

Thank you all so much for your hard work!

Sally has come up trumps - now how did I not find these marraige and deaths before???

Have both the certs now from SP. Didn't suspect for a minute that Archibald would have died so young. Now have to try and trace who got the proceeds from their share of the distillery sale to Langs, which fits nicely with the 1876 death of Archibald.

Mary - thanks for this - the site is just a little mixed up. The distillery was founded in 1833, and originally belonged to the Edmonstones of Dunreath Castle. Was then owned by George Connell, and John McLellan (Archibald's dad) became Manager, (then later part owner), between 1845 and 1848. John died in 1867, and Archibald inherited his share - but now the next big question, who got Archibald's share after his death? Certainly did not seem to go to my friend's direct line ancestor, as he was the youngest son and was never terribly well off.

Sarah - sorry for the wild goose chase around the world! Still looking for brothers Peter and Alexander though. Another brother, John signed Archibald's death cert, and he was in Killearn in 1876, so the others may still be around too.

Many, many thanks everyone - another piece in the jigsaw before my deadline date!

Regards

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

AlexMcLellan

Re: The disappearing Archibald McLellan

Post by AlexMcLellan » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:47 pm

This post was useful to me, as I'm researching my possible direct ancestor, brother to Archibald Glen MacLellan, Alexander MacLellan. There's a census record that shows they all lived there, with my great great grandfather being an engineer, presumably at the distillery.

I know this thread is very old, but I'm happy to share what I have for the Alexander line of the brothers, if there's interest.