Are there naming patterns for middle-names?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi All

I found my connection to the Dunns. Now I am looking for a connection to the Montcrieffs, on another branch.

I do have one question. When a family that uses the naming pattern suddenly omits a name, like a grandfather. Does this mean that there is some kind of estrangement from the father of one of the parents? :-k

Regards

Sheila
Sheila

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:34 pm

Middle names can be a real treasure. I have my maternal grandmother's Christian name plus her maiden surname as a middle name, which I think is pretty common. But my paternal grandmother, of whom I knew nowt, named her daughters firstly for their grandmothers, then after herself, but because there was a wheen of them she moved on to her sisters. Not only did they get the sisters Christian names, they also got their married names in the middle. It nearly drove me nuts working out where the middle names came from, but it turned out to be how I proved I was barking up the right tree. I haven't cracked them all yet, and I'm sure one of the sisters must have married twice as there's a rogue name in there. One day ... :roll:

I suppose they got fed up with everyone having the same middle name, but is it not unusual to bring the inlaws into it?

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

I also have a couple of examples where the aunt's married name was used as a middle name as well as the more usual naming pattern. I had decided that as the same given names recurred incessantly, that they decided to be different. How many people in one family called Maggie, Jeannie, Peter and Charles can a body tolerate?!!!

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:25 am

pinkshoes wrote:.......snipped............I suppose they got fed up with everyone having the same middle name, but is it not unusual to bring the inlaws into it?

Best wishes
Pinkshoes
Inlaws they were, but is there a chance of a link into the tree a couple of generations further back?

I've seen several such examples of middle name use, sometimes connected some generations further back, sometimes not.

David

wini

ARE THERE MIDDLE NAMES FOR NAMING PATTERNS

Post by wini » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:28 am

In my family there is, and it has been helpful in research
e.g my middle name McPhee ( admittedly the only family member with that spelling) is my Maternal Grandmother's M.S
My brother's middle name is Reid our Paternal Grandmother's M.S.
I could go further back, where the middle name is certaily significant and does have a pattern.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Kathy

Post by Kathy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 am

In my immediate family, my brothers middle names are the surnames of their godmothers.

Kathy
McNeil, McNeill, Craig, Orr, Mitchell, McArthur, McMillan, McGregor, Gray, Dixon, Graham, RFW, Port Glasgow, Greenock & Paisley.
Thornton, Lynch, Flood, Sexton, County Cavan Ireland.
Appleby, Cardiff, Wales,Cooke, Holder, Gloucestershire, England

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:18 am

sheilajim wrote:Hi All

I do have one question. When a family that uses the naming pattern suddenly omits a name, like a grandfather. Does this mean that there is some kind of estrangement from the father of one of the parents? :-k

Regards

Sheila
Not neccesarilly my Grandfather was loath to name his son after his Father,not because he had fallen out or anything but as the youngest son of eight there were a whole swathe of Johns.He instead named him for his big brother killed in WW1.All concerned were very happy.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 pm

DavidWW wrote:
pinkshoes wrote:.......snipped............I suppose they got fed up with everyone having the same middle name, but is it not unusual to bring the inlaws into it?

Best wishes
Pinkshoes
Inlaws they were, but is there a chance of a link into the tree a couple of generations further back?

I've seen several such examples of middle name use, sometimes connected some generations further back, sometimes not.

David
You are so right David, I've found this, and it's a very useful thing to know. The same 5 or 6 surnames keep cropping up generation after generation - it's a right beggar's muddle that needs sorting out. I'm nearly but not quite there with it, and I keep wishing I could get it straight enough in my own head to be able to run it past the very knowledgable people here. But till I know what the question is, I can't expect an answer! That said, I'm very grateful to those middle names or I'd not be past the starting post yet.

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

Best wishes

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:39 am

I have posted this before on this forum, but thought I would post it again. My sister and myself both have my mothers maiden name, I have it as a first name but my sister (older) has it as a second name. My other middle names come from my paternal ggrandmothers maiden name, and my maternal grandmothers maiden name. At first looking at my mothers siblings I noticed a pattern with Barton/Davidson middle names then I noticed my aunt Jessies middle name of Ballantyne, I was wondering where that name came from (originally given as Valentine by my cousin, so that didnt help) then I found my ggrandfather William Barton remarried after his first wifes death, and he married Jessie Ballantyne so there it was. Though I still cant work out where my late paternal aunt Helen got the Carmichael from :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

jimstallard

Re: Crawford and McMeekins

Post by jimstallard » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:39 pm

JustJean wrote:I have a GrGrAunt named Jessie Crawford McMeekin. Do you think I've ever found hide nor nair of a Crawford lurking anywhere???...........nope...... :?
Hi Jean, hope you are still on this forum!

My gggmother Jane Crawford of Ballyboley (Ballycor, not Larne), married John McMeekin of Cogry, on 28th January 1831, their son Hugh Crawford McMeekin, born 12 October 1854 (yes it appears there was a 21 year gap between their first born Mary, born September 1831 (reason for the marriage?) and Hugh - one of the elders at the First Prebyterian Church of Ballyeaston is checking the record to make sure the transciption is correct) married Dina Todd (born exactly one hundred years before me, 16th April 1861, in Dalry, Ayrshire (parents, Robert Todd and Ann Jane Irvine both of Ballyeaston)) in Maryhill, Glasgow 27 August 1880. My Grandmother was born in 1893 on Gairbraid Street (now Maryhill Road).

I'd be very interested to hear if you have any connection to the McMeekins of Cogry, the Crawfords of Ballyboley, Todds of Ballyeaston and Wigtown.

Regards
Jim