How to Pronounce Rose.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

lizsangster

Re: Seaton Sangster

Post by lizsangster » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi MacThistle

Was interested to read your info re your great grandfather Seaton Sangster. I am descended from his maternal grandparents, Seton Sangster and Margaret Dickie, through their son George Sangster. I am in Scotland and now live very close to where Seaton was when he married. If you have the address I could try to find out if it is still there and take a photo.
MacThistle wrote:
Thu May 21, 2009 2:33 pm
Wilma,

that is indeed my grt grandfather Seaton. Many thanks for your efforts, I had actually got the info you have so kindly furnished me with xxxx I will elaborate further tomorrow, as you seem to have a knack for finding info.
Breifly tho... my grt grandfather Seaton seems to be illegitimate, he gives his mothers name as Mary Sangster in his marriage certif. and it is also on his death certif. His father Rose married Mary Simpson in 1845 @ Old Machar and they had 3 children that I am able to find via the FamilySearch site. Seaton was born in 1839 in Udny. I have managed to find the birth of Mary Sangster, her father oddly enough is call Seton! So going with the scottish naming pattern it seems to fit More recently I found the siblings of Mary Sangster and the marriage of her parents. Seton Sangster/Margt Dickie.
I have found the marriage of Roses parents, John Porter/Eliz. Tocher.

It is after he is 14yrs and in that last cenus, that I loose track of Seaton. It is not until Dec. 1866 that he appears again, he married a Margaret Wilkie at Benholm, Kincardine. Have copy of marriage extract. They go on to have four children before moving to New Zealand ca. 1871. In all they had 10 children! My grandfather James was the first child born to them here in 1873. Seaton and Margaret settled in Balclutha, Otago.

Goodness did I say BREIFLY??
I must away as it is early hours of the a.m, thank you once more, much appreciated :D

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: How to Pronounce Rose.....

Post by SarahND » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:04 am

Hello lizsangster and a warm [TS_welcome]

Brigitte (MacThistle) hasn't signed into the forum since July of 2010 :? but if she has kept the same email address she might get a notification of your post and your kind offer.

An Alexander Sangster was a witness at the marriage of my GGG grandfather in Old Machar in 1800. I believe he may originally have been from around Clatt or Kennethmont. Is he one of yours?

Best wishes,
Sarah