Looking for more info on Sommerville / Penman Family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

oorlot

Re: Looking for more info on Sommerville / Penman Family

Post by oorlot » Mon May 23, 2011 11:39 pm

There appear to be several inconsistencies in the data above.
1. Nancy Penman 1768-1769 married, having died at 1 yr
2. Donald Montgomery and Annie Murray had a son Hugh when they were only infants themselves.
I would really like to see the source documentation included in this file.
Regards Jmje527

maur33n

Post by maur33n » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:01 pm

To all those dedicated Penman family researchers, I have some research which may clarify, confuse and confound some of you.
I too am a Penman (Fifer, born and bred) and have been researching my line for about 12 years now. My intensive research has surrounded one John Penman c.1578. (This character has nagged at me for years with questions that have kept cropping up about him, so I decided to do an in-depth study on him. John Penman b.1578 to Johannes Penman and Agnes Symesounne. This may be true, but he is not the one that married first Katherine Hamiltounne 1605 and the Rebecca Hamiltounne 1612. This John was born c.1586 and his father was a William Penman from Musselburgh. He was apprenticed to a Richard Doby an Edinburgh merchant in 1599. Now! merchants recruited their apprentices in their early teens, (12-14 years old) and if you do the maths this would make his birth year c.1586. He became a merchant, Burgess (Hagbuit), which means he had to buy a firearm and lodge it with the armoury (a condition of entry), and in times of trouble retrieve it and use it, as the Burgesses were Edinburghs first line of defence. He eventualy became a Guild Brother (Corslet) buying another piece of hardware, again lodging it with the armoury. He became a member of the Dean of Guild also. He died c.1624. My line comes from his marriage to Rebecca...one Robert Penman b.1614 who married Margaret Williamson, daughter of Richard Williamson and Margaret Mure. Robert was a writer (lawyer) many "Penman" researchers attribute this marriage to Robert b.1628 son of Alexander b.1607; as I did. I think it came from LDS website. Robert also had a son Robert aslo a writer and he married Catherine Murray and also Marjory Meason. Catherine was not his father's second marriage as supposed. (please double check any information from LDS site, it will save you a lot of headaches in the longrun.) They had a son James b.1653. His birth/baptisimal entry contains three witnesses, James Wright (writer) John Penman, (merchant), who was Robert's elder brother by one year and Robert Hamiltoun, (not categorically identifed him yet). Please don't just take my word for this information (because I wouldn't), it is all available online at Mull Genealogy - Scottish Record Society. i.e. Edinburgh Apprentice Register, Edinburgh Marriages, Edinburgh Burgesses etc.
I hope this information helps someone. Please feel free to challenge or re-interpret my findings.
BAYAN.

maur33n

Post by maur33n » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Hello Saraleeroth, I am really interested in your Penman line, especially generation 6. Robert Penman and Margaret Williamson is also my direct line, but we seem to have differing information. I have Robert Penman b.1614 as the son of John Penman and Rebecca Hamilton married to Margaret Williamson in 1646. You have Margaret born in Dysart. I have Margaret born in Edinburgh. Could you please enlighten me as to where you came by your information.
Kindest regards,
BAYAN

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Very Interested in your work BAYAN. I found some info - totally unverified, that Johne Penman and Rebecca Hamiltoun had among their many children a daughter, Catherine, b. 1623. This Catherine Penman married James Lockhart who was a merchant in Edinburgh, Scotland. James and Catherine had Katharine Lockhart b. 1654 who married John Gordon. John and Katharine had son, John, b. 1692 in Liberton, Midlothian. John Jr. married Agnes Mathie about 1716 and they had a son James b. 1728 in Gilmerton, Liberton, Midlothian. James married Elizabeth Brotherstones and had Archibald Gordon b. 1764 who married Jacobina Boyd. Archibald and Jacobina had David Gordon b. 1790 who married Margaret Neilson having a daughter Janet Gordon b. 1822. Janet, God love her, completed the circle by marrying James Sommerville who is the son of John Sommerville and Janet Penman from my original query.

Now all that's left to do is PROVE IT!!!
Researching:
MacInnis, MacKay, MacLean - Isle of Rum
MacKinnon, MacLean, MacMillan, Campbell - Isle of Muck
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
Sommerville, Gordon, Neilson, Penman - Midlothian
Quigley - Bothwell, Monklands, McCairney - Glasgow
and many more!

safw

Post by safw » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:57 am

My family includes Somervilles, I'm not sure if the different spelling is the same family?

My gggrandmother was Christina or Christian Somerville born 1826/27 Lanark or Crawfordjohn. Died 1886 Lettershaws,
Crawfordjohn.

John Summerville

Post by John Summerville » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 pm

Hi

John Sommerville is my GGG Grandfather (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... e/K8ZM-LMM) although i'm not sure at the moment if it's the correct John Somerville as he was born in 1777 whereas K8ZM-LMM is shown as being born in 1773 and therefore i cannot vouch for the accuracy of the rest of the tree going back, but i do intend to try my best to sort it out. Both Newton and Liberton churches are very close to 'The drum' so i guess there's a connection back to the main Somerville tree somewhere. All the best, John Summerville.