Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Aodh

Re: Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum)

Post by Aodh » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:03 pm

I know of the family of Lauchlin "Beag" MacKinnon and his wife Catherine MacKinnon.They Immigrated to Inverness County, Nova Scotia, Canada.She was the daughter of Archibald "Ruadh" MacKinnon. They had at least six sons:

Donald (1823- after 1881). He married Susan MacIntyre and they lived in the Margaree area of Inverness County.
Alexander "Alasdair Lachuinn" (1839-1935). He married Margaret (Maggie) "Pecha" MacDougall and they lived at Cape Mabou, Inverness County.
Angus(1840-1891) married Annie MacDonald. He was a coal miner and was killed in the Springhill mining disaster of 1891 that took the lives of 125 men and boys.
Archibald (?)
Colin (lived in Codroy Valley, Newfoundland)
John MacKinnon (lived in Codroy Valley, Newfoundland).
Researching:
MacInnis, MacKay, MacLean - Isle of Rum
MacKinnon, MacLean, MacMillan, Campbell - Isle of Muck
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
Sommerville, Gordon, Neilson, Penman - Midlothian
Quigley - Bothwell, Monklands, McCairney - Glasgow
and many more!

Allen MacInnis

Re: Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum)

Post by Allen MacInnis » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Hello
My family name is MacInnis. My 3-times great grandfather, Lauchlin (Lachlan) MacInnis (McInnis) is named as a passenger on the Saint Lawrence that sailed from Tobermory to Nova Scotia in 1828. On board with him were his wife and 8 children. Family oral history says Lachlan and family were residents of Rum. Reading a history piece on the Isle of Rum website, I note that the last 50 people were "cleared" from the isle in 1826, the clearances having started with 300 people in 1828. I have to assume Lachlan and family left with the latter group.
A letter I found from a descendant written in 1995 suggests the family arrived in Mabou, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia as Presbyterians but were soon identified as Catholics. Other history I've come across suggests that many Hebridean Catholics simply changed religious affiliation according to who was asking. In any case, my inherited religion was Catholic.
My male line is as follows:
LACHLAN MacInnis (1773-1846) and Mary Stevens (1780-1846) both appear to have been born and married on Rum.
HECTOR MacInnis (1807-1878) and siblings Penny, Allan, Mary, Donald (Dan), Marion, Flory and Jessie left with their parents in 1828 to Nova Scotia.
Hector's son JOHN William (born Cape Breton, Nova Scotia 1839- died there in 1914)
John William's son, WILLIAM (Willy) John (born in NS, 1872- died 1942)
William John's son, WILLIAM (Billy) Parker (born in NS, 1920- died Edmonton, Canada 2018)
Me, ALLEN Dale (born Edmonton 1956)
My father was known in Cape Breton as BillyWillyJohnHector - said as fast as I write it here.
I would love to know if there are MacInnis descendants from the Small Isles still living in Scotland.