McDougall Family Shotts/Lanarkshire

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Megjean55

Re: McDougall Family Shotts/Lanarkshire

Post by Megjean55 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:10 pm

Good Afternoon, My name is Lisa Catherine MacDougall. I am the Paternal Grand-Daughter of Robert Wason MacDougall and Cecile Isabel Fortin. My Father, Robert Ian Joseph MacDougall was the eldest Son of Robert and Cecile.He passed away in May of 2021 at the age of 86. Robert and Cecile also had a son that is 8 years younger than my Dad, Donald, and Robert and Cecile had twins when my Granny{Cecile} was 42, Mary and Mavis, and they are 22 years younger than my Dad. I was absolutely thrilled and excited to find this website. My Grandparents were such special people, they had a hobby farm in Niagara on the Lake, and i spent a tremendous amount of time there. Uncle Don still lives next door and his middle daughter Elizabeth lives where there had been a vineyard at one time. I remember Aunt Bette. She was a very dour person. I look forward to more conversations in regards to our family. Thank you, Lisa

Taxiboy

Post by Taxiboy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:36 am

Hello Lisa,

I am Elizabeth Marshall, maternal Granddaughter Of Mary McDougall. Mary was the oldest girl in her family, and sister to your Grandfather Robert. Also sister to Bette McDougall. Robert and Cecile visited my parents , Jack and Betty Griffiths , and stayed with them on a few occasions when they travelled to Australia.
My husband and I visited Canada in December 2002 and stayed with Don and his wife. We met your parents when they invited us to dinner , for a trans-pacific family get together.
I was sorry to hear that your father had died just recently. Both of my parents have also passed away.
This is just a quick email to say hello, I have not been doing much family history for the last few years.
We have been moving house (twice), since Covid. However, we are now settled in our new home.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards from Mooloolaba , Queensland , Australia
Elizabeth Marshall

Megjean55

Post by Megjean55 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:13 pm

Good morning Elizabeth, SO WONDERFUL to hear from you!! I am wondering what year your Grandmother and Great-grandparents(they would be mine as well), emigrated to Australia. My Dad Bob was born in 1935, so i can assume that Robert (and a brother John???) came to Canada in the early to mid 1930,s. I was born in 1965, and i have a younger brother John, who was born in 1967, and there was a bit of a kerfuffle over him being called John Robert instead of Robert John. I am very interested in anything more that you might know about my Grandfather and his family. Why they chose Australia and why Grandpa chose Canada, that sort of thing, what was it like in Scotland at that time etc. Thank You!! Lisa

Loulou

Post by Loulou » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:31 am

I am Donald MacDougall from Ontario, Canada and I would love to get in contact with my cousins from Australia- Elizabeth and Anita. Both visited me several years ago in Canada. My email address is macpatdon@gmail.com. Thanks