McMeekins and Crawfords

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

JustJean

McMeekins and Crawfords

Post by JustJean » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:14 am

I just found a post tonite that is 5 years old from member jimstallard. :?

He posted: Hi Jean, hope you are still on this forum!

My gggmother Jane Crawford of Ballyboley (Ballycor, not Larne), married John McMeekin of Cogry, on 28th January 1831, their son Hugh Crawford McMeekin, born 12 October 1854 (yes it appears there was a 21 year gap between their first born Mary, born September 1831 (reason for the marriage?) and Hugh - one of the elders at the First Prebyterian Church of Ballyeaston is checking the record to make sure the transciption is correct) married Dina Todd (born exactly one hundred years before me, 16th April 1861, in Dalry, Ayrshire (parents, Robert Todd and Ann Jane Irvine both of Ballyeaston)) in Maryhill, Glasgow 27 August 1880. My Grandmother was born in 1893 on Gairbraid Street (now Maryhill Road).

I'd be very interested to hear if you have any connection to the McMeekins of Cogry, the Crawfords of Ballyboley, Todds of Ballyeaston and Wigtown.

So Jim...this is for you!! If we ever communicated it was not on this forum and for that I am truly sorry!!!! Since i first posted about my Jessie Crawford McMeekin with the mysterious middle name I have discovered the family you describe above and pieced together scraps. I have suspected for years they are related to my lot but I had no positive proof. I do know that a Janet Todd of Ballyeaston b abt. 1826 married David Ramsay in Belfast/Shankhill St. Annes church 12 Aug 1846 and then were in Maryhill Scotland. I have photos of them that are labeled as "aunt" and "uncle" but I couldn't fit the pieces together to know whose aunt and uncle!! I have tracked the Ramsay family to death but never got anywhere with them and never got a handle on the Todds either. Janet (Jane, Jeanie etc) Ramsay mn Todd had a DC 4 Dec 1881 in Glasgow that gave her parents as James Todd a farmer, and Roseann Todd mn Todd. Does this mean anything to you??

I hope I don't have to wait 5 more years to see if you are still researching!!!

Fingers crossed!
Jean