William Wilson (Born 1816, Elgin, Moray)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Pinemartin

William Wilson (Born 1816, Elgin, Moray)

Post by Pinemartin » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:44 pm

William married Isabella Reid on 24 August 1837 in the Parish Church, Parish of Sproughton, Suffolk. He was a servant as was Isabella. His father was George Wilson and Isabella's father was Donald Reid. Isabella passed away on 23 December 1887 in 66 Anderson Road, Aston, Warwickshire when she was a widow. I cannot trace William's death, he was last on the 1861 census living at 14 Rawlins Street, Victoria Terrace Buildings, Birmingham, his occupation being a Footman, Isabella was living at 65 Rushton Street North, Victoria Place, Birmingham on the 1871 Census, where she stated she was a wife, not a widow. I cannot trace William on the 1841 census, but Isabella was living at Hampton in Arden, Warwickshire, their first son, William was born 1840 in Hampton in Arden, but I cannot trace his birth registration. He was the father of my great grandmother Isabella, born 1870. I would also like to trace William's father George and Isabella's father Donald, but so far have had no success. Any help would be much appreciated.
Pinemartin

nelmit

Re: William Wilson (Born 1816, Elgin, Moray)

Post by nelmit » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:06 pm

Hello Pinemartin,

No help at all at the moment but, although Isabella states she is a wife, it is noted that she is a widow in the 'condition ' column.

Regards,
Annette

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi Pinemartin

Where did you get that Wiliam was born 1816 in Elgin?

I'm not finding a birth for a William Wilson in Elgin 1816 in Scotland's People or Family Search and nothing old enough in Libindx (my go-to for anything Moray),
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
Found two with father George in Aberdeenshire born 1816, and one in Banff in 1820

At that date Morayshire and Elginshire were inter changeable.

Do you know who who employed him when he got married - I'm wondering if is employer links back to Moray, and if his father was employed by the same family here...
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

Pinemartin

Post by Pinemartin » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:35 pm

I noted on the 1861 Census that he was born there but in 1817, apologies! in 1851 he was a Gentleman Servant and 1861 a Footman, Isabella was also, according to the Census born in Elgin. I have also noted there is a Isabella Reid born 1815 on the Moray, Scotland Local Heritage Index 1632-2014, could be a different Isabella!

Thanks for this, any other information would be greatly appreciated

Pinemartin