Jeanie Hoy Edinburgh and family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

JLM

Re: Jeanie Hoy Edinburgh and family

Post by JLM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:19 pm

Thank you so much for that extra information - very helpful!
It looks as though it will be quite a task sorting through such a large family and the added problem of "Hay" not "Hoy" but it will be fascinating to learn more and stand me in good stead when I try to tackle the Taylor and Wilson connections.
Interesting that there are a lot of tailors listed as occupation - my father's side of the family were from Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire and mostly employed in teh boot making industry - we had clothing and footwear covered!
I really appreciate all the help and the time and trouble people have taken! :D

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:18 pm

There’s a notice in the Edinburgh Gazette of 9 September 1873, concerning the estate of the late Alexander Hoy, Taylor and Clothier, 6 South College Street, Edinburgh.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/ ... 5/page/554

In the 1864-65 period there were numerous advertisements for the above company in the Caledonian Mercury. The address then was 46 Victoria Street (West Bow) Edinburgh.

The last Edinburgh Directory entry for this Alexander Hoy was in 1872-73. Residence 87 West Bow.
https://archive.org/details/postofficee ... 5/mode/2up

Maybe that’s him,
Alan

JLM

Post by JLM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Goodness - that information is fabulous!
It's a part of Edinburgh I know well - I was born and brought up in Edinburgh and my maternal grandmother lived in Moncrieff Terrace, one street from teh Hoy home in Gladstone Terrace so visited the area often. I now live about an hour's drive away and a regular visitor over the years.
It would seem that the family didn't stray far from the south side of the city - South College Street isn't far from there at all. Once travel is again possible I shall make a special trip to look at the addresses as I'm sure that the directory entry is also the "right" Alexander.
Thank you so much - this means a great deal to me - I've passed these places so often and never knew or suspected the connection...now they will have a special meaning.
Very best wishes,
Jean

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Now I see both Alexander and Jessie died between the 1871 and 1881 censuses, which accounts for the 1881 census showing a group of the sisters (and a brother-in-law) sharing a house, and the head of the house not being a parent of theirs. Separately you find Charles with his young family and a cousin.

AndrewP

JLM

Post by JLM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:28 pm

Thank you!
Amazing just what information about a family's situation a census can provide.
I'm so enjoying discovering things about the family, a family I didn't even know existed and being able to still have that local connection is incredible.
I'll certainly try to find out as much as I can and also look into other maternal families in this line. Hopefully I can gain experience and confidence to go forward and look into my grandmother's Taylor family (Jane/Jeanie's husband's family) and also my grandfather's Wilsons - gulp!! I think that will be much more challenging though given how common the surnames are.
Best wishes and again, many thanks,
Jean