Jeanie Hoy Edinburgh and family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

JLM

Jeanie Hoy Edinburgh and family

Post by JLM » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 am

Hello,
My maternal great grandmother was Jeanie Hoy, married to Robert Taylor and lived at 18 Gladstone Terrace Edinburgh after her marriage.
So far I have only found one person of that name and she was born in 1880 to parents Charles Hoy and Mary Ann Henderson. While there is a lot of information about this branch of the Hoy's I don't want to pursue it if this isn't the right Jeanie!
I have no living relatives to help and never had any knowledge of my mother's family - my grandmother dying when I was a child. Even finding out my great grandparents names has been a revelation! Needless to say even the names of great aunts and uncles has been lost. I do have a photograph of great grandparents and their children and it would mean a lot to be able to add names and some biography.
If anyone can offer any advice about how to firm things up or even any information I would be so very grateful and happy to share anything I can if someone has a connection somewhere along the line!
Very best wishes,
Jean :)

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Jeanie Hoy Edinburgh and family

Post by SarahND » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:00 pm

Hello Jean and [TS_welcome]

Do you have the marriage record for Robert and Jeanie? If they married in Scotland, that should give her parents' names. The only marriage record I am seeing on scotlandspeople.gov.uk is for a Robert Taylor and Jane Hoy in 1885 in St Giles district. If that is the correct date, then she obviously isn't the one born in 1880! What year was your grandmother born?

All the best,

Sarah

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:23 pm

Firstly - [TS_welcome]

The easiest way I find of getting facts and figures is to, find the marriage certificates.

The only Taylor/Hoy marriage that fits the bill is:
HOY JANE TAYLOR ROBERT 1885 685/4 66 St Giles
[Sarah got there first!]

So the Jeanie Hoy you found really can't be that bride, far too young.
Confusingly the name people go by isn't always the official name [Jane/Jean/Jeanie/Janet/Jessie being one of the worst!]

If you go to Scotland People website, you can download the original certificate for a small fee.
That will give you: the couple's names, ages and addresses, plus their parents' names and witnesses [which could be siblings]
That will then give you the stepping stones to go to the next generation back.

There is a death for a Jane Hoy other surname Taylor aged 61 in 1926 in George Square [ Edinburgh] which would fit age-wise
[there are 2 Jane Hoy births St Giles 1865]

It may be useful to try and get your grandparent's marriage and death certificates first just to make sure you really are on the correct track to begin with.

If you need more help to point you in the right directions do ask, we are always more than willing to get newcomers started.
Wilma

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Just to add a little about her married address:

The valuation rolls show that a Robert Taylor rented a house at 16 Gladstone Terrace, Edinburgh in 1915
Then at number 18 from the rolls 1920, 25, 30, 35 & 1940.

Fine blonde sandstone, 4 storey, tenement buildings still standing today in a leafy street just off The Meadows.
Wilma

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:33 am

Had a look at the death certificate for 1926. It is for Jane Taylor nee Hoy living at 18 Gladstone Terrace, Edinburgh and married to Robert Taylor, Printer Compositor. Parents are given as Alexander Hoy and Jessie Mcleish. The mother's name is hard to read, but I think that's what it says.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:48 am

The online IGI lists a large family to Alexander Hoy and Jessie McLeish.

Charles Hoy
birth: 14 December 1846; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
father: Alexander Hoy; mother: Jessie McLeish

Jessie Hoy
birth: 30 April 1848; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Elizabeth Hoy
birth: 29 October 1849; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Helen Hoy
birth: 11 November 1852; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Margaret Hoy
birth: 31 May 1854; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Alexander Hoy
birth: 20 February 1856; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

James Hoy
birth: 28 November 1857; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Isabella Tait Hoy
birth: 31 October 1859; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

William Hoy
birth: 30 June 1861; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Jane Hoy
birth: 13 March 1865; Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

The online IGI shows the marriage of Alexander Hoy and Jessie McLeish on 04 May 1845 in Edinburgh.

These records are all shown as derived from the records, so should all be found on ScotlandsPeople: Church Records to 1854; Statutory Records from 1855.

All the best,

AndrewP

JLM

Post by JLM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Thanks to each and everyone of you who has taken the time to reply so fully!!
So, I'll try and reply and nswer questions people have posed!!
My grandmother was Ella Gloag Taylor and was born in 1905, married in Edinburgh in 1925 to an Archibald Wilson who was 41 years old - I have the marriage certificate but Ella's mother's name definitely says Jeanie Hoy as being her mother.
From all that people have been kind enough to supply it would seem she was actually Jane Hoy and the dates of her birth and death plus marriage details would indicate that this is the right person I'm looking for!
I didn't know about my great grandparents renting 16 Gladstone Terrace but number 18 Gladstone Terrace is one they must have bought as it was still in the family until the 1980's and I visited it many times.
I'll now try and find out who the great aunts and uncles were (I did meet the youngest great uncle when he was an old man).
There are certainly a huge number of branches of the Hoy family to look into not to mention trying to unravel the Taylor family plus grandfather's Wilson family!
Many, many thanks!

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:19 pm

Living in 2 addresses in the one street isn't uncommon - my family did, moving from a smaller to a larger, my Father was born on the top floor of a close and grew up on the 1st floor.

Looking at the census records may help fill in the Aunts and Uncles. Beware though, Hoy is sometimes mis transcribed as Hay. [When searching Scotlands People entering H?y should give both versions.] Ancestry and freecen are good sources for census records - and Ancestry is still free for Scottish Library card holders in some areas.

Your Grandmother would have filled in her parents' details on her marriage, and probably only knew her mother as Jeanie. Golden rule - the information is only as good as the person who gave it.

You've got lots of information to start you off - Happy hunting :D
Wilma

JLM

Post by JLM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks again!
I'll see if I can now fill in the gaps - it would be nice to have names for faces in my photograph of the family even if I can't match them up.
Thanks too for the tip re Hoy spelling - I know my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Helsdown and that there are various different spellings within the same family (Hellsdown, Helsdon, Helsdin to name a few). I imagine that in days gone by when literacy wasn't good that births were registered as they sounded phoenectically rather than being spelt.
I really appreciate the hep plus it's nice to "chat"!
Jean

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:48 pm

The 1851 census shows them with five children; the eldest four that I listed above, plus Jane, aged 1 month. As Wilma suggested above, the family are indexed as "Hay" by both ScotlandsPeople and Ancestry. I suspect, but have not proven, that Jane may have died before being baptised.

In the 1861 census, they show up with seven children. Margaret is also missing.

In 1871, eleven children are listed, including Margaret (missing in 1861), and David (between William and Jane) who did not show up in the IGI search.

Plenty to keep you occupied as you work through the censuses.

AndrewP