Frasers of Fort William

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

mmacto

Frasers of Fort William

Post by mmacto » Sun May 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Hello,
This is my first post and I’m a rank newbie at genealogy so please bear with me and my apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I am researching my maternal line of Frasers out of Fort William. I was adopted in 1961 in Canada so I’ve discovered this line through DNA. I’ve done both 23 and me and ancestry.ca
Grandfather was Peter MacDonald Fraser. Grandmother was Catherine Mary MacGowan. They married in Fort William in 1939. My mother born to them in Fort William in 1941. They immigrated to Canada in the mid 40s.
Paternal Great Grandfather James Wyness Fraser. Lived on High St, Glengarry buildings. Owned an auto service station on Linnhe road, Fort William . Died 1943 . wife was Madge MacDonald
Maternal Great Grandfather was John MacGowan. I’ve seen him listed as a farmer in the census. Says in my adoption information that he was an entertainer ,so I’m not sure.
Wife was Annie MacGowan(maiden name Kilpatrick). According to valuation roles , she owned Rhu Mhor Inn on Alda street in Fort William in the 1930s.
I tried contacting the current operator of the Rhu Mbor guesthouse in Fort William but my emails just bounce back so I’m not sure if it’s still in business.
I’m wondering if anyone had anymore information. I’ve looked through Scotland’s people extensively and feel I keep going on the wrong track after the relatives I’ve listed.
Thank you!

WilmaM

Re: Frasers of Fort William

Post by WilmaM » Sun May 23, 2021 10:44 pm

[TS_welcome]
We all started out as rank newbies so you are in good company ;)

I found the best way to get the bare framework for my trees was to focus on the marriage certificates.
That will give you not only the names, address and occupation plus approx. birth year of the couple in question, but both sets of parents' names and a possibility of family as witnesses too.
Getting the parent's marriages gives you the previous generation and so on.

I've no experience in the genetic side of things, but I assume the initial information you have of your mother's parents came from adoption information, so that is as reliable as anything else for you to start on.

I'm not seeing a McGowan/Kilpatrick marriage in the right time frame in Scotland.
James Wyness Fraser and Madge McDonald married in Glenorchy and Inishail 1913 - that can be downloaded from Scotland people.

I think if I were you I'd go back to the start and make sure it all lines up, then we can add meat to the bones, so to speak, with addresses and occupations etc.

If you aren't familiar with the geography of Scotland https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/ is invaluable. Old maps overlying modern.
Freecen https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/ will help once you get further back.

Of course we are all happy to help with any specific problems you encounter - don't hesitate to ask.
Wilma

mmacto

Post by mmacto » Mon May 24, 2021 12:15 am

Thank you WilmaM,

That is a wealth of information and I will take your good advice. I’ve gone back a few generations and scratch my head at how sometimes records just stop. Can’t find hide nor hair of the next generation.
Thanks for your time and sound advice!
Margaret

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue May 25, 2021 1:12 pm

I had another wee look for the McGowan /Kilpatrick marriage.
I found this one:
KILPATRICK ANIE MCGOWN JOHN W 1905 625/3 41 Bellshill
which could fit the bill?

You've got to widen the search sometimes for names like Annie - I used An* , as she could really be an Ann or Anne.
Mc & Mac names - I often search using M* then the Gowan or Donald or what-have you.
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 am

Aberdeen Journal, Friday, February 26, 1943

All Parties having CLAIMS against the Deceased JAMES WYNESS FRASER, Motor Engineer, who resided at Glengarry Buildings, Fort-William, or against the firm of J. & W. FRASER, Motor Engineers, Central Garage, Linnhe Road, Fort-William, of which Deceased was a partner, are requested to lodge the same with the Subscribers within Fourteen Days of this date; and all Parties INDEBTED to Deceased or the firm of J. & W. FRASER are requested to make payment to the Subscribers within the same period.
STEWART, RULE & CO., Solicitors
National Bank Buildings,
Fort-William.
Agents for the Executors.
23rd February, 1943.

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 02 March, 1933.

FORT-WILLIAM WOMAN’S TRAGIC DEATH.
While sitting in the bedroom of her home in Fort-William, Jessie Mackenzie (75), aunt of Messrs J. and W. Fraser, proprietors of the Central Garage, Fort-William, fell against the fire-place and her night attire caught fire. Mrs Fraser, her sister, showed great presence of mind in wrapping her in a blanket, but Miss Mackenzie died early yesterday morning in the Belford Hospital from shock and injuries.

Evening Telegraph, Dundee, Wednesday, March 1, 1933

SCOTS BURNING TRAGEDY
83-YEAR-OLD VICTIM
Sister’s Discovery.
A burning accident, resulting in the death of an old lady of 83, took place last night at Glengarry Buildings, Fort-William.
Miss Jessie Mackenzie and her sister, Mrs Fraser, were sitting dozing before the fire in their home at Glengarry Buildings. Mrs Fraser was suddenly startled by seeing her sister’s clothes in flames.
After extinguishing the flames, she summoned assistance, and Miss Mackenzie was conveyed to hospital suffering severely from burns and shock. She died in the early hours of this morning.

Dundee Courier, Thursday, March 2, 1933

BURNING FATALITY AT FORT-WILLIAM
Aged Woman Victim.
A burning accident, resulting in the death of an 83-year-old woman, Miss Jessie Mackenzie, has occurred at Fort-William.
Miss Mackenzie and her sister, Mrs Fraser, were alone in their home in Glengarry Buildings. Mrs Fraser went into an adjoining room to prepare a meal, and on her return was horrified to see her sister’s clothes in flames.
Although almost overcome by shock, she managed to extinguish the flames, and afterwards summoned assistance.
Miss Mackenzie was conveyed by ambulance to the Belford Hospital, Fort-William, suffering severely from burns and shock, and died early yesterday morning.

The Edinburgh Gazette, 28 April, 1933, has mention of a legal matter in connection with “J. & W. Fraser”. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/ ... 0/page/357

Hope that’s useful.
Alan

mmacto

Post by mmacto » Wed May 26, 2021 12:45 pm

Thank you Alan,

That’s remarkable. I appreciate you posting this and bringing these people to life for me.
Did you use a source like Newspapers.com?
Thank you for taking the time to post this Fraser history.

All the best,

Margaret

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 am

Hello Margaret,

The Gale database, British Library Newspapers, is a subscription service available only to libraries, universities and suchlike. Library members can generally get free access from home. https://www.gale.com/intl/primary-sourc ... newspapers

There is a pay site, The British Newspaper Archive, which has a greater range of newspapers than the library edition. https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Various other newspaper databases are available from some libraries. The National Library of Scotland is an example. https://auth.nls.uk/eresources/browse/subject/99

A bit more, Dundee Courier, Friday, December 3, 1937

INVERNESS-SHIRE.
FORT-WILLIAM.—For Sale, by Private Bargain, 4-Storeyed Tenement, GLENGARRY BUILDINGS, HIGH STREET, Fort-William, with Two Shops on Ground Floor and Dwelling-Houses above. Assessed Rental, £268. Feu-Duty, 10s. Entry, subject to tenants’ rights, Whitsunday, 1938.
Apply WM. J. CUTHBERT, Solicitor, Royal Bank Buildings, Fort-William.

All the best,
Alan