Shaw’s of Islay

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

StarrShaw

Shaw’s of Islay

Post by StarrShaw » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:24 am

Hello all. Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance. My brick wall ancestor is Murdock Shaw. 1850 US Census record has him being born in Scotland about 1790, with wife Isabelle, and children Angus Currie, Peter, John, Mary, and Nancy. Earliest record in US found thus far is the 1810 census with him living alone as a young man (age 16-25) in Robeson County, North Carolina. While there are other Shaw’s living in Robeson County at that time, i have been unable to connect them. I have no parents names, arrival in the US, or where in Scotland he was born.

Being unable to find anything definitive, I made a leap of conjecture that maybe the son’s middle name of “Currie” could be a mother or grandmother’s maiden name. I found a christening record on ScotlandsPeople of an Angus Shaw and Mary Currie having an unnamed male child, dated 13 Apr 1783 at Killarrow on Islay. I have been unable to find any other information on Angus or Mary. I thought if I could determine what happened to them, then maybe I could at least eliminate them as “suspects” so to speak. Can anyone help me find further info on Angus Shaw and Mary Currie?