Granny shoved aff bus?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:05 am

lbathgate wrote:Hi Annette
Oh duh. I'd never have worked that one out!! I'm not joking either.... :oops: Whoops, it WAS his age....Thank you.

Best wishes
Lesley
If you want to find a "different" way of stating something such as an age, or an abbreviation for occupation, status, or birthplace verging on the virtually impenetrable, than all you need to do is read Glasgow and West of Scotland poor relief inspectors' reports :!: They all knew what was meant :shock:

Anyone know where to find Andrew Jackson?, the former heid archivist at Glasgow City Archives who rescued the poor relief applications from the basement of the City Chambers shortly before they were about to be disposed of, and then initiated the indexing.

Seriously, between Jack, Nelmit, others on here and the present GCA staff we'll sooner or later work out the meaning of those annotations etc. :P

David

JimM

Post by JimM » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:08 am

DavidWW wrote:Anyone know where to find Andrew Jackson?, the former heid archivist at Glasgow City Archives who rescued the poor relief applications from the basement of the City Chambers shortly before they were about to be disposed of, and then initiated the indexing.
Didn't know that David

Just think.... all the priceless records could have been tossed in a skip.
Thanks Andrew

Jim
researching
McIntyre, Menzies, Cowley, Pearson, Copland, McCammond, Forbes, Edgar etc. in Scotland
Skinner in Northumberland

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:14 am

JimM wrote:Just think.... all the priceless records could have been tossed in a skip.
That's what (allegedly) occurred in Edinburgh with their Poor Relief records, and then they were incinerated.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:23 am

AndrewP wrote:
JimM wrote:Just think.... all the priceless records could have been tossed in a skip.
That's what (allegedly) occurred in Edinburgh with their Poor Relief records, and then they were incinerated.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson
No doubt of the fact that Edinburgh's PR records went to the incinerator :cry:

No trace either of the records for Aberdeen and Dundee (later edit - but see below), so that the suspicion is that disposal occurred there as well.

BTW, I don't mean committee or other high level records, but the inspectors' interview reports.

David
Last edited by DavidWW on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:39 pm

David
No trace either of the records for Aberdeen and Dundee
There are surviving PR records for Dundee:
http://www.fdca.org.uk/poor_index.htm

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:27 pm

lbathgate wrote:David

Best wishes
Lesley
Hello Lesley,

This road has been travelled before. :D

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 9&start=15

Kind regards,
Annette M

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:28 pm

lbathgate wrote:David

Best wishes
Lesley
Lesley

Thanks for pointing this out. Is is possible to add an example here so we can see the amount of info that these Dundee records include?

David

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Hi David
I don't have any examples to hand, and infact have not seen any examples as I don't have any family from that area - just know the records existed as I was in the archives in Dundee looking at maps on one occasion and was aware of a lady talking about what she was finding in the poor house applications.

If I find myself there I'll see what I can find, but despite being my nearest archive repository it is not one I find myself in very often. Rather than look up a random example, if anyone finds someone on the online lists for Dundee PR that they would like looked up, then that would seem to be a more useful exercise.

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:03 pm

lbathgate wrote:Hi David
I don't have any examples to hand, and infact have not seen any examples as I don't have any family from that area - just know the records existed as I was in the archives in Dundee looking at maps on one occasion and was aware of a lady talking about what she was finding in the poor house applications.

If I find myself there I'll see what I can find, but despite being my nearest archive repository it is not one I find myself in very often. Rather than look up a random example, if anyone finds someone on the online lists for Dundee PR that they would like looked up, then that would seem to be a more useful exercise.

Best wishes
Lesley
Lesley,

See my reply to you posted just before David's.

Annette M

Tusker

Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by Tusker » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:03 pm

grannysrock wrote:good morning everyone

Weel done Annette for providing the conclusive proof that the mother of Elizabeth Kelly / Adams is Catherine Reilly . I hope your PM box is overflowing with virtual jaffa cakes this morning .

Is it now "declared in the presence of witnesses" that Frances and Tusker are genealogically joined ?

I'm off to find an ice-cream van .

Sally
Sally -- I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that Frances' grandad (G-grandad?) was my granny's brother. Does that make me her granny twice removed, or is she my uncle-in-law? As I'm a guy, I'm just hoping that I'm not her 1/8 half-sister, or something :lol:

Being serious for a moment, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your unbelievable generosity in taking the time to investigate and help find my granny! I'm absolutely delighted that she's back on the bus, and I'll be keeping a close eye on her in future, in case she makes another mad dash for freedom.

I wish I could buy you all a few pints to celebrate, but I know you'd all *much* rather have the slightly-used wally close, or my bestselling book, or the free membership in the International Hudgie-Stealers Association and the photo of the Caramel Wafer. (Did I promise anything else????) Anyway, thank you all so very much once again!.....
Researching Adams & Kelly 1850+, particularly in Hutchesontown/Gorbals area of Glasgow.