Dr. Robert Slimon.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

fayjh

Re: Dr. Robert Slimon.....

Post by fayjh » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:42 am

Thank you so much for the link and for the other information I will study them.

Felicity

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:19 am

Hi Felicity, and welcome to TS,

They both sound rather interesting chaps, your Cpt Jennings and the Dr Slimon.

The book link provides a very interesting read.

Find My past has some snippets you may or may not have already;
Ambrose's baptism is noted twice, [birth 19th September 1833 baptism 22nd Sept 1833, St John Evangelist Smith Square, Westminster, Father John, mother Jane]
Once in the Westminster archives then again in Army Cadet papers .
His grave stone inscription is:
[Cross] In loving memory of Ambrose Dawson late captain 7th Bengal Cavalry only son of the Venble John JENNINGS, Archdeacon of Westminster who departed this life 4th November 1882 aged 49 years. I know that my redeemer liveth, I hope in thy word.
that is in Lesmahagow Cemetery.
1841 census he is at Church Row, St John Hampstead, Edmonton, Middlesex & London, England with a lot of other young boys and some female teachers and staff.
1871 & 1881 he is as you noted with Dr Slimon in Lesmahagow. 1851/61 presumably in the army?
He is mentioned many time in the London Gazette, presumably as he worked his way up the ranks.
One Army record indicates that he left the Army 16th May 1867.
Another notes he was awarded the Indian Mutiny Medal, 1857-1859 with Lucknow Clasp?

Dr Robert Slimon is also buried in Lesmahagow his monument is as follows
[Pillar - Urn on Top] In loving memory of Robert SLIMON, surgeon for many years resident in this parish died 12th October 1882. Discoverer of the " Upper Silurian" in Scotland. Also his wife Jane McKERROW died 6th February 1890; also Eliza younger daughter of the above who died suddenly in London 18th March 1909 and is interred here.
I wonder what th econnection was? purely medical, or perhaps geological. The other chap lodging on the census, Fred Gemmel, is also has army connections, were they perhaps dispatched off to 'take the waters' ?

Do come back and let us know how you get on .
Wilma

fayjh

Post by fayjh » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:21 pm

HI, Wilma,
Thank you for these notes. Some of which I was aware of and others not. It is intriguing to wonder why these people were boarding with the Slimon's. I discovered one of the others was a Solicitor in the Court of Chancery and before being in Lesmahagow he was boarding in a large boarding house in Clackmannan, Fred Gemmel was there as well. Because of the causes of Cancer of the Tongue I wondered if there was some connection with substance abuse or alcohol addiction. Fred Gemmell was on half pay from the Army which might suggest illness where as Jennings seems to have retired. Were they sent to these places in Scotland where they would be away from such temptations? Perhaps I have too vivid an imagination. I certanly not very familiar with Scotland and its history to know where to find answers.

Strangely Robert Slimon is described as Welsh in this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slimonidae. Jennings' father was Welsh however.

Felicity

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:49 pm

There was another Robert Slimon 1818 - 1899 who died at Merthyr Tydfil, though the1871 census has him being born in Scotland too.
Think there's a little confusion there!
An unusual surname, but there are another 3 Robert Slimons on the 1871 census for the UK.
very likely cousins to some degree.
Wilma

fayjh

Post by fayjh » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:29 pm

Thanks. I had spotted some of those but didn't loook in detail as iknew they weren't for me.