Dr. Robert Slimon.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dusty44

Dr. Robert Slimon.....

Post by Dusty44 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:06 pm

My grt g/father (x3) was Robert Slimon who was a Doctor in Abbeygreen which I believe to be part of Lesmahagow. He was born in Douglas in 1803 and I believe he was the son of John Slimon and Marion Kennedy.John was a surgeon according to Rbt's death certificate but I don't have any more details.Robert and his wife Jane (nee Mckerrow) had 6 children. Their son Alexander was my grt g/father (x2).Robert was also quite well know as an amateur Paleontoligist. The family stayed in Neither House in Lesmahagow which I think may still be there. Would love any info on this family or even the house.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun May 14, 2006 11:17 am

Hi Dusty
Not sure what you've found already.... Have you looked for the family in the census - 1841, 51 etc? If not, that would be a good place to look .
There is someone looking for the same family on the Lanarkshire FHS board - but that may be you?
Few branches of my fam tree linked to Lanarkshire villages.Looking for info on Dr Rbt Slimon m. Jane/Jean McKerrow in Douglas, Lanark 1824. They were my gggg/parents. Their daughter Marion m. a Frederick Gammell and stayed Nether House, Lesmahagow. Also James Coulter m. Jean Crossan 1851, nine children born around Old/New Monklands. I have not further info on them. G/father Rbt Law was b. Bellshill 1886, on of 10 children to James Law b. Aberdeen and Catherine Gentleman Ferguson (no further info)in 1870. Is there any relatives out there?
If its not you (!) I have the email address for the poster - I'll PM it on request. Don't want to paste it here.

Best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

Peter 21

Re: Dr. Robert Slimon.....

Post by Peter 21 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:06 am

Dr Robert Slimon is also my gggg/father and I have been up from Dorset to visit his grave. There is quite a lot about him on various paleontological web sites for his work on the Slimonii amonita and his life in Lesmahagow. Sadly the Netherhouse burnt down some years ago, but the gate pillars still name the place. He had 5 sons; John, Alexander, Robert, George and William; and two daughters, Marion and Elizabeth. I am descended from George. Any info that you have on any of them would be of great interest. Peter

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Hello Peter 21 and [TS_welcome]

Dusty44 was last on the forum in October 2011, so if you don't get an answer to this post, you might try sending a PM as well. Hope you two can connect!

All the best,
Sarah

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Any relation to these Slimons, in Leith?

Hibee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

Peter 21

Post by Peter 21 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 am

Dear Hibee, no I do not think so. My strand is from the Lesmahagow region, south of Glasgow. Do reply if you think that I can help though.
Peter 21

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:13 am

There’s an interesting story and photograph here.
http://home.us.archive.org/stream/histo ... 4/mode/2up

Alan

johnniegarve

Post by johnniegarve » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks for that book Alan, found a rellie I think! Slimon! there was somebody of that name with a textile mill in Kirkintilloch.

johnnie.

fayjh

Post by fayjh » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:48 pm

I came across these postings because I discovered a distant realive of my husband's was a boarder with Robert Slimon in Lesmahagow. According to the his death certificate he died of Cancer of the Tongue in 1882. He had been with the Army in India. Not sure how he came to be living with Slimon for more than 10 years it seems. His name was Ambrose D Jennings.
Some of the links on the original postings do not seem to be working now but if anyone has any information about Jennings or Slimon I would be intersted to hear more about them.

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:06 am

Hello, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

This is the book previously referred to. https://archive.org/details/historyofge ... ew=theater

Evening Telegraph, Dundee, Wednesday, November 8, 1882
DEATHS.
At Lesmahagow, on the 4th inst., Captain Ambrose Dawson Jennings, late of the 10th Bengal Cavalry, aged 49.
At Lesmahagow, on the 12th October, Robert Slimon, Esq., surgeon, Corr. Mem. Geo. Socty. Friends will kindly accept this intimation.

All the best,
Alan