Another New Member with Aberdeenshire interests.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

henderson

Another New Member with Aberdeenshire interests.....

Post by henderson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:57 pm

Hello All,

Glad to find this forum.

My relations emigrated from Scotland to Ontario Canada in 1872.

I am looking for connections with:

Hendersons, Davidsons, Sellers, Moers, Lambs in and around Lonmay, Aberdeenshire.

Watsons in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.

Andrews and Forrests near Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire.

I have been able to gather history on the Hendersons since they were tenant farmers on the same farm for many generations, but am having more trouble with the other folks.

Any connections or suggestions are most welcome.

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Welcome to Talking Scot Henderson. Hope we can be of help in tracing your family tree.
Happy Hunting,
HeatherH

PaulaD

Post by PaulaD » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 pm

Hi Henderson,

Welcome to Talking Scot. I have an Elizabeth Henderson born 1735 in Lonmay, parents Alexander Henderson and Margaret Keith. She married George Ker in Lonmay in 1765 and they had 5 children. Is she one of yours?

Paula
Searching for Barclay Aberdeenshire, Stewart Edinburgh, Brown Edinburgh & Uphall, Finlayson E Lothian, Fairley & Renton E & W Lothian for starters!

henderson

To Paula

Post by henderson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Hey,

Sounds like he could be. I have 6 known Alexander Hendersons in my Henderson line so far.

The Alexander Henderson b 1720 is the most likely possibility. His parents were Alexander Henderson and Mary Davidson married in 1713, Lonmay Parish.

These Hendersons were tenant farmers of the Hillhead Farm, part of the Earl of Pitfour's lands outside of Lonmay for many generations (from 1700's through 1901 at least).
Lonmay / Strichen - Hendersons, Lambs, Moers, Sellers and Davidsons
Peterhead - Watsons
near Rosehearty - Andrews and Forrests

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi Henderson,

I have an Isobel Henderson who married James Sim - their daughter Christian was born in Chapel of Garioch and married Stuart Mitchell iof Crathie in her forties in Aberdeen in 1868.

Also an Alexander Davidson (died 1910 in England) from Aberdeenshire who married Joan Fisher Leys and they had a son Alfred Davidson.

any connection?

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

henderson

Henderson/Davidson

Post by henderson » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi Tish,

There is no connection that I can immediately see. As far as the Davidson connection goes, I have no idea as I have no information on that line except the marriage of Mary Davidson to Alexander Henderson in 1713, Lonmay Aberdeenshire. Could be.. I am going to Scotland next
September and will pursue information on Mary Davidson's parents then.

I do have an Isabella Henderson born 1868, died in 1877 of diphtheria in Canada after that family emigrated.

Thanks for the post :)
Peterhead - Watsons

kendo448

Possible Henderson Connections

Post by kendo448 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:13 am

Hi, my mum is a Henderson, and when you go back to her grandfather's generation and further back they all seem to be from around Lonmay, Crimond, Rathen and St.Fergus and are farmers. My great grandfather, George, was born in Lonmay in 1866. If I go back a couple of generations, I am sure I have a few missing gaps, including a Thomas Henderson born in Crimond in 1807 (no further details), brother to my Great x 3 grandfather. I'd be interested to find out more - there may be a connection. Worth swapping a few more details. What is the name of the Henderson who left Scotland, for example. Hope to hear from you soon.

Ken
Researching Cuthbert (Edinburgh), Henderson (Aberdeenshire), Gibson, Simpson, Thomson, Inrig (all Caithness), Lewis (Pembokeshire)

henderson

Lonmay Hendersons

Post by henderson » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

Andrew Henderson b1791 and Elspet Lamb b1790 (GGG Grandparents) had 7 children: Rachel 1821, Andrew 1823, Mary 1826, James 1829 (my GG Grandfather), Ann 1831, John 1833 and Elspet 1836.

Andrew had two sibs: Mary 1780 and John 1784, do you have a John Henderson in your tree?

My GG Grandfather James moved to Peterhead for work, married Margaret Watson then to Ontario Canada in 1872 with his family of 9 children (William, James, Andrew, Julia, Isabella, Elsie, Margaret, Alexander and Thomas my Greatgrandfather).

Maybe your Henderson line comes from one of sibs down the line.

One of the Alexander Hendersons produced 9 children. No apparent obvious connection though.

The Hendersons were at the Hillhead Cairnlob Farm outside of Lonmay for several generations. John Henderson b 1833 is the last I know who farmed it though.

Ingrid
Peterhead - Watsons

Leela

Re: Another New Member with Aberdeenshire interests.....

Post by Leela » Sat May 09, 2020 6:15 pm

Andrew Henderson & Elspet are also my G G G grandparents, John a son is my G G Granda he was indeed the last to farm at Cairnlob, Lonmay.

Lee spence

Re: Another New Member with Aberdeenshire interests.....

Post by Lee spence » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Hello, my grandfather farmed Hillhead of cairnlob from the 1960's throu till 2002. He died two years ago and was wanting to research the farms history before him. His name was William Gilbert originally from cove near Aberdeen. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.