Scottish Catholic Archives

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:11 pm

There is one branch of my family who were Catholic and I also am looking forward to having access to these records.

I've pretty much solved most of the mysteries about them, but there are a few unanswered questions that I believe might be there.

There is also a family story that could only be proved or disproved in them.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Great News, Donna,

I have a number of Dissenters, RC's, etc. It would be nice to find out that they weren't dropped down into Scotland by the same Aliens who took away some of my other relatives. [alien]
Sheila

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Shelia,

I wonder if my Great Great Grandfather and Mother were abducted by the same spaceship as your missing rellies?

Appearing in Glasgow in 1871 census with their children, they had disappeared by 1881 and no sign of their DC's, although three of their kids were still "findable" in 1881 (i.e. one unmarried son and daughter living with eldest brother).

This couple have been a thorn in my side since I finally found out who they were :roll:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 am

Hi Mary,

I wouldn't be at all suprised if they were. I am having a lot of trouble finding out what happened to some of my relatives, escpecially the brothers and sisters of my direct ancestors. I also have a GGGrandmother who appears out of nowhere when she marries my GGGrandfather. I do know that she was Roman Catholic, but you would think that she would at least appear on the census.
Sheila

lynne kathrine

Re: Scottish Catholic Archives

Post by lynne kathrine » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:11 pm

I am having soooo much difficulty tracing relatives in scotland what a nightmare, as i have very little info. however it good that rc info in scotland is more availble , thus adding to more confusion and paperwork to look through.

not complaining really (just looking for the pieces of a jigsaw)

xx

lynne kathrine

Post by lynne kathrine » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 pm

I have got to say what a novice i am reading your great posts, [from the whole site also] ime stuck at 1974 ,ha ha, never mind the 1800's.

Silkweb

Post by Silkweb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Scotlands People has Catholic Registers...

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Kind regards,
Sherrie. :)