Where did Nellie go?

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:54 am

Brenda wrote:Guess I should have used better punctuation David, thought that by using bold it was seen to mean that William's age was 25 :oops:

I know I'm an eejit, but M Smith age 36 on the census doesn't collate to W Smith B 1858 according to the marriage cert?
He, William, would have been 43, why is his initial M instead of W?
Cross purposes ?

The "M SMITH of this census entry is female !, so virtually certain to be Mary, given the presence in the household of "Son" David whose age matches with that known for the son of Mary SMITH and Mary SMITH MS LOAG, never mind the CAW link.

David

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:00 am

Thank you David..
Brenda
Searching for McLean / McCracken / Walker Loag / Murray / Martin / Kennedy / Bain / McCreadie / McKeon / Bannon / Fergie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi all,
Now you see, David, why this family fascinated me and I spent hours delving (off-forum) in April, trying to get to the bottom of it! :wink:
Do you suppose that Nellie's father could have been Hugh's son in his first marriage? There is this guy, Jane's brother:

Hugh Barclay Caw born 15 October 1876, Perth
Father: Hugh Barclay Caw, Railway Govels(?) Guard
Mother: Mary Ann Caw, m.s. Young

Hugh Sr. seems to have farmed out his children when his wife died. Here is wee Hugh:

32 Horse Cross, Perth St Pauls, Perthshire
Janet Sharp, 45, Head, born Logierait, Perthshire, Laundress
Ann Sharp, 23, Daughter, born Perth, machinist
Hugh B Caw, 4, Boarder, born Perth

And here is Jane:

Craigie House of Refuge, Perth East Church, Perth
Jane Low Caw, 10, born Perth, Scholar

On second thought, maybe Hugh Jr. is too young to be Nellie's father :shock: Although... possible :roll:

Perhaps one day another document will come to light that Explains All :wink:
Regards,
Sarah

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:41 am

SarahND wrote:Hi all,
Now you see, David, why this family fascinated me and I spent hours delving (off-forum) in April, trying to get to the bottom of it! :wink:
Snap :!:
SarahND wrote:Do you suppose that Nellie's father could have been Hugh's son in his first marriage? There is this guy, Jane's brother:

Hugh Barclay Caw born 15 October 1876, Perth
Father: Hugh Barclay Caw, Railway Govels(?) Guard Railway Goods Guard
Mother: Mary Ann Caw, m.s. Young

Hugh Sr. seems to have farmed out his children when his wife died. Here is wee Hugh:

32 Horse Cross, Perth St Pauls, Perthshire
Janet Sharp, 45, Head, born Logierait, Perthshire, Laundress
Ann Sharp, 23, Daughter, born Perth, machinist
Hugh B Caw, 4, Boarder, born Perth

And here is Jane:

Craigie House of Refuge, Perth East Church, Perth
Jane Low Caw, 10, born Perth, Scholar

On second thought, maybe Hugh Jr. is too young to be Nellie's father :shock: Although... possible :roll:
A bit on the young side but nothing's impossible :wink:
SarahND wrote:Perhaps one day another document will come to light that Explains All :wink:

Regards,
Sarah
We live in hope :!:

I'm more and more leaning towards the use of CAW as the middle name based on assistance provided during her "unexpected" pregnancy by her stepfather. The alternatives are a very young father, her stepfather (does that count as incest :cry: ) or any other possibility that we can think of............

David

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:05 am

Hi Sarah & David

My sincere gratitude for your help in trying to sort this out for me.
I truly appreciate your help
Brenda
Searching for McLean / McCracken / Walker Loag / Murray / Martin / Kennedy / Bain / McCreadie / McKeon / Bannon / Fergie

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:37 pm

hello all,

Well I think I've tried every possible name permutation I can think of, in a search of the poorhouse applications, at The Mitchell this morning and have still not come up with anything on Helen/Nellie. Most frustrating as I was positive I would find something. :x

I found a short 'application for education' made by Samuel Logue senior (husband of Mary Martin) made in 1877 if it is any interest. Not a lot in it but it does confirm Mary was born in Ireland.

Kind regards,
Annette M

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:12 pm

nelmit wrote:hello all,

Well I think I've tried every possible name permutation I can think of, in a search of the poorhouse applications, at The Mitchell this morning and have still not come up with anything on Helen/Nellie. Most frustrating as I was positive I would find something. :x

I found a short 'application for education' made by Samuel Logue senior (husband of Mary Martin) made in 1877 if it is any interest. Not a lot in it but it does confirm Mary was born in Ireland.

Kind regards,
Annette M
Hi Annette

Many thanks for that !!

David

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:33 am

THANK YOU ANNETTE :)
Brenda

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:30 am

Thanks for trying, Annette! Somehow, something will turn up to clarify this family... :roll:
Regards,
Sarah

Lorraine..

Re: Where did Nellie go?

Post by Lorraine.. » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 am

I came across this post today and Hugh Barclay Caw is my great great grandfather , his son Hugh Caw
Was my great grandfather and his daughter
Margaret Caw my granny