Service and War Returns.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Service and War Returns.....

Post by marilyn morning » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:42 am

William Dixon was 16yr old in the 1881 census living at 13 McDowall Street with his father, Hugh Dixon. Found a death of a William Dixon 26 yrs old in 1891, with no image available, but did list "Service & War Records" "Minor Records" "Order extract" Will I be able to find any addition information on this person to verify if he is the William Dixon I'm searching for?
Marilyn

DavidWW

Re: Service and War Returns

Post by DavidWW » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:43 am

marilyn morning wrote:William Dixon was 16yr old in the 1881 census living at 13 McDowall Street with his father, Hugh Dixon. Found a death of a William Dixon 26 yrs old in 1891, with no image available, but did list "Service & War Records" "Minor Records" "Order extract" Will I be able to find any addition information on this person to verify if he is the William Dixon I'm searching for?
Marilyn
Quite possibly not, as service returns rarely give the same amount of info as on a statutory death register entry, but until you look, you won't know.

Better to wait until SKS has a spare moment on a visit to NRH and has a quick look.

Here's an example of the info on a 1915 example....

RETURN OF WARRANT OFFICERS, NON-COMMISIONED OFFICERS and MEN
Of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry KILLED in Action or who have DIED whilst of Service Abroad in the WAR of 1914 to ........

RGTL No 2250
RANK Pte
NAME IN FULL(SURNAME FIRST) Guthrie, Samuel
Age 29
COUNTRY OF BIRTH Place of Enlistment Lanark
DATE OF DEATH 19.11.15
PLACE OF DEATH Gallipoli
CAUSE OF DEATH Killed in Action

There may be a bit more in 1891..........

Davie

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:44 am

Hello Davie
Thank you for this reply. It appears by your example that the service returns records do not list the names of the parents or spouse of the deceased?
Marilyn
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

HK

Post by HK » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:46 am

Hello Marilyn.I was wondering about the earlier records myself so I'm glad you asked.I have found 2 of my great Uncles who died in WW1.One of them has very detailed records mentioning his parents but the other does not so I was wondering about what to expect from pre WW1 records.
Happy hunting
HK

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:38 am

Hello HK
I'm totally walking on thin ice with this subject and I thank you for informing me that the parents names appear on the records, But as Davie mentions maybe SKS could take a peek at the record the next time
they are at the NRH. 1891 Dixon William M 26 DISTRICT-Service & War Records COUNTY-Minor Records GROS DATA 052/AF 0080
Happy Hunting Indeed
Marilyn

HK

Post by HK » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:36 pm

G'morning Marilyn,I didn't mean to mislead.When looking for my Great Uncles (I was trying to prove their existance as no one had heard of my Gran having brothers.)The entry at SP did not give me any info.beyond that a record of death would be found at the National Archives under WW1 deaths.I had to do some digging when I got there to find the brothers.I mention that this is some time after your relative had past and records for his time may well be different.However if you later found yourself looking for a long lost in WW1 you may incounter a hit or miss situation in regards to info.on death as I have found.
Hope to see you at the pairty.Have a good one.
HK

HK

Post by HK » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:53 pm

Hello Marilyn I have just found this site it's new but looks interesting.
http://www.wartimesindex.co.uk
It's a comprehensive web archive of Victorian Wars.(Their words not mine) :lol:
HK

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:46 pm

William Dixon is finally accounted for. =D> He slipped out of Scotland, after making his appearance in the 1881 census. His four sisters left Johnstone between 1880-1883, settling in Grafton Massachusetts. The 1890 US Census was destroyed in a fire, need I say more? William married Florence Swallow on 29 July 1891. They settled in Leicester, Massachusetts which is a few miles away from Grafton. #-o

Regards
Marilyn
Last edited by marilyn morning on Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:23 pm

Hi Marilyn
That's great news!!! How wonderful you were able to find him on our side of the pond!! \:D/ That missing 1890 US Census has stymied me more than once. Glad to see it didn't keep you from finding your man.
Jean