Where to look for War Records

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

crayspond

Where to look for War Records

Post by crayspond » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 am

Hi,

Can anyone give me advice on where the best place to look (and probably pay) for information regarding War Records?
I would be looking for mostly Army Records for WW2. These would include my Father and my Grandfather and possibly a few of my husband's family.
I would take out a month's subscription if it was cheaper than paying for each request. I just don't have a clue which one would give me the best info. I thought this section of the forum would be the best one to ask.

Thanks for reading,

Ailsa

Currie

Re: Where to look for War Records

Post by Currie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 am

Hello Ailsa,

About two thirds of British Army WW1 service records were destroyed during WW2 bombing, and what was left after that is mostly available at Ancestry. You probably know all that.

For those who were in the military after 1920, the records are still held by Ministry of Defence, and you have to apply to them. The serviceman and his widow can get the records for free.

For anyone else applying, there is a charge of ₤30 for each record. The applicant would need to prove that the serviceman is deceased, and their relationship, if any, to him. There are conditions as to what information is released, and this depends on such things as the length of time since decease, and whether the applicant is legal next-of-kin. There can be a wait of many months before the records are received.

You’ll find all the information on this M.O.D. page. Note the links to application forms at the right. I’ve never been down this track myself, so have a careful read of it all. Possibly you may have to consider whether any particular member of the family would have most claim to be next-of-kin. http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/About ... sonnel.htm

Note also that many eligible soldiers did not claim their WW2 medal entitlement, and if not, these can be applied for by the widow or next-of-kin, if the soldier is now deceased. I think the top two links on this page has the info. http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/About ... Medals.htm

Hope that helps,
Alan

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I knew about the charges for the MOD - i will have a think about what i am looking for before i sign up for a month's Ancestry.

Regards,

Ailsa

scallywag

Post by scallywag » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 pm

In response to 'crayspond' on finding war records I have been looking for my fathers war records also with no luck
I found out you have to send to DOW so Ive got the forms But have been puting it off hopeing to find information
But will have to send for the records I think. Mind you I didn't know about the records that were lost So that could
be the problem!! Is there anyone out there who knows anything about the 5th Battalion highland light infantry WW2??
It has that on my dads marriage cert , and I know he was in france and germany I have his service medals But cant find
anything on the 5th Battalion!! scallywag

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello Scallywag,

It was only the WW1 British Army service records that were bombed during WW2 and of which about two thirds were destroyed. The WW2 records are safe and sound with M.O.D.

It seems to be much easier to find WW1 information about the 5th H.L.I. than to find WW2 stuff. Here’s what I could round up.

During WW2 the 5th Battalion of The Highland Light Infantry was part of 157th (Lowland) Infantry Brigade, which was part of 52nd (Lowland) Infantry Division. They were a Territorial Battalion.

There’s a bit of a history here. http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/w ... ed/hli.php

“The 5th and 6th Bat. HLI were part of the 52nd (Lowland) Division, moving to France in June 1940 for a short period taking part a fighting retreat via Cherbourg in the middle of June. For the next four years it trained to become a Mountain Division in Scotland. With the approach of D-Day the role of the Division was changed and it landed in Belgium in October 1944, taking part in the capture of the Dutch island of Walcheren. Thereafter it fought throughout Southern Holland and into Germany, with the Division’s final action resulting in the capture of Bremen.”

The Ministry of Defence has a publication (pdf) “The Clearing of the Scheldt Estuary and the liberation of Walcheren”. There’s a reference to 5th H.L.I. on page 16. http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... Iw&cad=rja

Hope that helps,
Alan

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi All

WW2 records are still held by MOD

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_rec ... cords.html

The above link gives details on how to obtain Military records

Yours Aye
BruceL