Medals

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Orlaith17

Medals

Post by Orlaith17 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 am

Hope someone can advise me. My grandmother's older brother was killed in WW1. I have managed to obtain his war records through Ancestry.com and amongst the information is some sad stuff. His widow was informed of his death but she did not inform his mother (my great grandmother) of this. There is a heart breaking letter I got through Ancestry where his mother had written to the War Office to ask about him, as she had heard he had been wounded. And a subsequent letter from them to her to inform her of his death. Even more sad was a letter sent by one of his six children some time later to enquire about her father's medals, as she would like to have them. She was informed that as his widow had not requested them at the time of his death, that they had been destroyed. This daughter had later emigrated to Canada and it is my understanding that she has descendants there. Is there any way I would be able to purchase replica medals? I understand that the originals would have been destroyed as stated in the paperwork I have. But perhaps there is a way I can obtain a replica as I have evidence of his service, death and medals awarded? Any advice most welcome.

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Re: Medals

Post by HeatherH » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:44 am

There are a few places that make replica WW1 medals British War Medals even inscribes the edges as they were done originally. I know some sites offer Mini Medals quite a bit cheaper if you are just looking for a keepsake.
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:27 am

Unless the medals included anything other than "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" (WW1 Trio of 1914-15 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal), you can buy an original set or a replica set on eBay, such as here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medals-WW1-19 ... 3393c29eb6

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Orlaith17 wrote:She was informed that as his widow had not requested them at the time of his death, that they had been destroyed.
Hi,

This is curious. The MOD Medals Office states:

"World War 1 medals - After World War 1, all campaign medals were automatically issued to the medal earner or, if deceased, to the next of kin. The MOD Medal Office is not able to provide replacement World War 1 medals. You can purchase replicas or original named medals from a reputable medal dealer or a private medal company."

https://www.gov.uk/the-ministry-of-defe ... im-a-medal

I know it doesn't help you, as the MOD won't issue replacements, but it's a puzzle nonetheless. If they knew his widow existed to be able to inform her that he had died, one would think that she would have automatically received the medals to which he was entitled.

I know that the position was different for WW2 and medals had to be claimed, as I know my grandfather didn't claim his.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:43 am

Thank you for responses, everyone. Brian (Rockford) I have copies of the letters written by the MOD and by his daughter. I wasn't aware his widow had relinquished her right to his medals until I found the letter from his daughter requesting them. I know his widow relocated and re-married not that long after his death, so it may be that the MOD had to seek her out to offer the medals, I don't know. Just sad as there were 6 children, one of whom I know for sure would have liked to have had the medals.