Unknown Soldier WWII - KELLER LEN SCOTT

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

WilmaM

Unknown Soldier WWII - KELLER LEN SCOTT

Post by WilmaM » Wed May 12, 2021 4:36 pm

There was an article on the BBC news today regarding an unknown soldier from WWII .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57070605

He had been sheltered by villagers after the Battle of St Valery-en-Caux in June 1940, but was found and executed by the German troops.

The only clue to his identity is a scrap of paper with :
KELLER LEN SCOTT
Juillet 1940
51 Division

Printed neatly on it.
Other than that, it was said he was married with 2 daughters, and was in the 51st Highland Division.

Does this sound familiar to any Talking Scots?

Do pass it around and see if the power of the internet and genealogists can crack the mystery.
Wilma

Currie

Re: Unknown Soldier WWII - KELLER LEN SCOTT

Post by Currie » Wed May 26, 2021 7:41 am

Hello Wilma,

I think this has pretty well ended up in everyone’s too-hard basket. There has been much indulging in flights of fancy about what his real name may be.

Here’s the story of a Black Watch member of the 51st Division who managed to remain hidden after St. Valery.

Dundee Courier, Friday, September 15, 1944

DODGED NAZIS FOR 4 YEARS
Black Watch Man’s Narrow Escapes
A Homecoming Coincidence

When a bus drew up in Forteviot Mrs Walker, wife of the local blacksmith, said to herself, “It would be fine if Cameron was on that bus.”
Cameron is her 25-year-old son, a member of the Black Watch, who was reported missing after St Valery 1940.
Truth is stranger than fiction, for her son was on the bus, but he travelled on it to their old home at Dunning, where he found the blacksmith’s shop a ruin. Mr Walker, sen., moved from there in 1940.
Half an hour later, while Mr Walker was working in the smithy, he turned round to find his son standing beside him. He said, “Hullo, dad.” It was a typical Scots reunion.
During the four and a half years which he had been hiding from the Germans in France Pte. Walker had several narrow escapes. Once when he was a passenger in a motor lorry it was stopped by the Gestapo. The driver jumped down, produced his papers, and the other member of the Gestapo walked over to the cabin where Pte. Walker was sitting.
“Luckily,” he told a “Courier” reporter yesterday, “there was no handle to the door on that side, so the man just looked me up and down and walked away. It was a near thing.”
In the farmhouse where he hid he constructed a false wall in a small room, making a sort of cupboard which he could close by fastening two bolts.

FRENCH OR BROAD SCOTS

Now and then Germans came to the farmhouse looking for parachutists or searching for wheat or butter. They drove the occupants out of the house at the point of a gun while the search was conducted.
“I could look through a crack in the wood and see an officer’s polished boots six inches from the end of my nose,” said Walker, “but they failed to find me.”
While in France he learned to speak French like a native, so that when the Germans were driven out and Canadians appeared Walker rushed up to them addressing them volubly in French.
“I'd been so accustomed to speaking French during that time I could scarcely speak my own language,” he said. “It took about five minutes before I could ask for a packet of cigarettes, and even at that it was broad Scots which the Canadian found almost as difficult as my French,”
He reckons it was worse than four and a half years in prison. Eggs were fetching about 10s a dozen, while black market butter was as high as 30s a pound.

All the best,
Alan

WilmaM

Re: Unknown Soldier WWII - KELLER LEN SCOTT

Post by WilmaM » Wed May 26, 2021 11:02 am

That was interesting Alan.
The mystery keeps cropping up on Facebook etc here's hoping somebody somewhere can provide a clue.
Wilma