Looking for 3rd RLV Lieut Easton

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Lorna Allison

Re: Looking for 3rd RLV Lieut Easton

Post by Lorna Allison » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:24 am

Hello Alan

I am at a loss as to how to apologise sufficiently to you for remaining silent for almost 3 weeks after receiving such help from you in my searches. Two things - firstly as a result of not being on the ball quickly enough I became embroiled in a scam on a friend’s email addresses. I had to wait in line for my computer guru to clean up my system and sort me out with Amazon. Yes, a scammer in. California was trying to be me and make purchases on Amazon. Fortunately no harm done and now I have a clean bill of health, new password etc. The second domestic situation is just something that happens now and then

Many apologies once again.

Your observation that Alex. Easton was living with Ethel Easton over a prolonged period was key to unravelling how my brother in law came by the pewter trophy.

Alex’s family of 6 produced only 1 grandchild, that of his daughter Ethel who married in 1902. I expect she fell heir to many of his possessions and on her son Graham’s death, who also had no children, his home was cleared by my brother in law who had a very close relationship with him. They had been brought up as cousins being of a similar age but in fact Ian was one generation further back, the only son of a very late second marriage. The upshot of all of this is that I now know that my family and one other both of us related only by
marriage can legitimately claim ownership. We are all happy with the outcome and plan to wait and see who in the younger generation proves to be the safest pair of hands to pass it on to!

Thanks to all of you for your marvellous help in bringing this “investigation” to such a satisfactory conclusion.

Kind regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 am

Thanks Lorna,

Something I forgot to mention was where I found the reference to Miss Ethel Easton. It was in the Evening Telegraph (Dundee), Thursday,April 19, 1894.

The Secretary of the Dundee Industrial School, Baldovan, acknowledges, with thanks, the following donations:—Shrubs from Messrs Thyne & Paton, Union Street; copies of Graphic from Messrs Stewart Brothers, Kinnaird Works; plants from Mr David Paton, West Kirkton; supplies of the “Animal World” and “Gospel Trumpets” from friends; bread from Mrs William Robertson & Sons, Ann Street; and contributions to school museum from Miss Ethel Easton, Bellahouston Villa, Glasgow.

Which raises the question. Was it a monetary contribution or was it some items of interest? A bit of a mystery there.

And also in the Morning Post (London), Wednesday, September 8, 1886.

“EMULATION” PRIZES.—40s. has been sent to Miss Westmacott, Wimpole Rectory, Royston, Cambs., 950; 30s. to Miss Morris, Congregational College, Brecon, S. Wales, 754; 20s. to Miss F. Lenzie, 19, Bloemfontein-road, Uxbridge-road, Shepherd's-bush, 708; 5s. to Walter Dawson, Esq., Belle Vue, Southampton, for neatness; 5s. to Miss Ethel Easton, Bellahouston Villa, Bellahouston, Glasgow, 526; 5s. to Master Townsend, Condangon Manor, Tipperary, Ireland, 280.

Which raises another question, and a mystery, at least to me, as to what was an “EMULATION” and why would you get a prize for it.

All the best,
Alan

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:19 pm

I’ll keep those two items in mind and perhaps be able to find something out in future. Nothing about either among the papers so far.

Bye for now Alan and thanks again.

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh