Looking for 3rd RLV Lieut Easton

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Lorna Allison

Looking for 3rd RLV Lieut Easton

Post by Lorna Allison » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:38 pm

Hello . I am trying to trace the Lieutenant mentioned in the following commemoriation on a pewter tankard found among family belongings. The family are proving hard to find and I am hoping that this may be a breakthrough.

"Presented by Major B C Crum Ewing to the best shot of 3rd LRV competed for at Hangingshaw 29th October 1864 Won by Lieut Easton"

I think the unit referred to may be the 3rd Leicester Volunteer Regiment and I find that there is a Hangingshaw in England as well as close to Hampden in Mount Florida, Glasgow.

My brother in law was an Easton and his family for the previous 2 generations lived in the Glasgow area but I have not been able to ascertain where they may have come from (or gone to!)

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Looking for 3rd RLV Lieut Easton

Post by SarahND » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:51 am

Hello Lorna!

Glad to see your name pop up in the posts :D I had a look around and found a dataset on Findmypast: Scotland, Royal Volunteer Regiment Review 1860. In it there are a number of Eastons listed, but only two who were in a “3rd” regiment (and both from places conveniently starting with an "L")

James Easton
3rd Lanarkshire Rifles in Glasgow on 7 Aug 1860

William Easton
3rd Linlithgowshire Rifles in Bathgate on 7 Aug 1860

Food for thought?

Best wishes,
Sarah

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks so much Sarah - grand to be in touch. Those first names and areas give me a real handle to work on.

I got a present of a DNA test so joined Ancestry. What an eyeopener! Didn't find anyone I hadn't been in touch with and someone I had found years ago was there - public - with the mistakes I had pointed out to him still there. My grandmother's little brother, 4 years her junior is there as a twin. Some labour! Various other things too - it really is disappointing.

Thanks again Sarah.

Lorna
Researching:

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:05 pm

If you have a read at https://bygone.bungoblog.com/wp/third-lanark/ it gives details of the 3rd LRV (Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers) who were based in Strathbungo on the south side of Glasgow. There are also details of a "Grand Shooting Competition" instituted in 1860
~RJ Paton~

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:37 am

Falkyrn you have made my husband’s week/month/year and in so doing made mine bright and chirpy too! He is housebound and when I clicked the Strathbungo link and started to read, up pops the info re Third Lanark his beloved first football team. That got the genealogy well and truly sidetracked since he knew all about the military connection but now there is a family connection albeit “related by marriage”. Thank you so much. Now I have 3 names to get started on. My brother in laws family lived in Pollokshields so we are going for the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers being on his branch until proved otherwise.

Oh oh, there is a voice shouting “I’ve got 2 Third Lanark programmes somewhere. You could look them out tomorrow”. I have a feeling this topic is growing legs - and they’re mine!

Thank you Falkyrn, Sarah and Talking Scot together you have cleared the path.

Lorna
Ps. I see I have made a mistake and put RLV instead of LRV. Maybe a kindly moderator could change that? [Done!]
Researching:

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:48 am

Hello Lorna,

The 1864-65 Glasgow Directory has a Lieutenant Alex. Easton in the 3rd Regiment Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers. His address is given as Tindal Place, Paisley road. The Major of the regiment was Humphrey Ewing Crum Ewing, jun.
https://archive.org/details/postofficea ... 3/mode/2up

He’s listed in the 1864-65 name index as EASTON, Alex. (of J. & R. Pritchard & Co.), 257 Argyle street; ho. 2 Landel place, Paisley road.
https://archive.org/details/postofficea ... 5/mode/2up

In 1871-72 his address is listed as Hawthornden, Ibroxholm.
https://archive.org/details/postofficea ... 3/mode/2up

All the best,
Alan

LATER
Directory address in 1881, 1891, and 1901 was Bellahouston villa, Paisley road. Seems to have been a Miss Ethel Easton there as well.

Alan

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:54 am

That's my childhood neck of the woods!
Originally when these were built they would have been des-res, [our big flat still had the servants bells] unlike the sorry state the area is in now.

Landal Place is shown on the 1863 map as [Lendal Place] a single building where Lendal Place is now, off Paisley Road West at Cessnock.
I've never heard of a Tindal Place and can't see it on any maps, and doesn't seem to be a changed name street. Many of the tenement buildings along the Paisley Road did have individual names though, not often recorded on the maps.
The 1865 Valuation Rolls has him at Lindal Place Govan [ the spelling seems a trifle elastic!]

Hawthorneden was likely one of the big house in Ibroxholm that High flats were built on, only 1 set remains and lower rise buildings in their place - just a stone's throw from Ibrox stadium [ Did Third Lanark ever play there I wonder?] I love how history links to modern life in unexpected ways.

Bellahouston Villa I *think* was at the corner of Paisley Road West and Beech Avenue, The Rolls Royce Social club is still in the original old house [much extended] It's the only survivor of all the villas on that side of the M8.
Wilma

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:39 am

Thank you Very much Alan and Wilma for all of that information. I have been deep into the Eastons and am piecing together info already gathered by my sister and brother in law that I have retrieved from among their family papers. Strange how one article seems now to be illuminating and encouraging a search which I had rather lost interest in. I think it is the fact that it speaks of real people and sheds light on their life and times. Just as you did Alan when you found my husband’s poor great grandfather sent out as a convict to Die 4 months later in Fremantle - and all for pawning a watch he had been given to repair. He even offered the furious customer the pawn ticket but no, off to Edinburgh High Court, the penal colony for 5 years and your 4 motherless children to the poorhouse in Denny. I suppose we have made some progress . . . .

Well I really just meant to say that when I have the jigsaw put together I shall put in the update but, in the meantime - warmest thanks to all.

Lorna
Researching:

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:46 am

PS to my post. I missed out a Great on the grandfather. Just thought there might be one or two furrowed brows on exactly how old my husband is :shock:

Lorna
Researching:

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:26 am

Hello Lorna,

I do remember the George Pringle story and its sad outcome. I did get a bit of a shock when I saw it was almost 13 years ago. Here’s the thread. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12631&hilit=watch

Within weeks of its arrival the convict transport “Pyrenees” was being prepared for a return voyage to England.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... 20convicts

From the Perth Gazette, Friday, May 20, 1853.

FOR MADRAS AND ENGLAND !!!
The fine first-class SHIP “PYRENEES,” 850 Tons, Freeman, Master. This Ship
has superior accommodation for PASSENGERS, and will take WOOL, HORSES,
and other FREIGHT on reasonable terms.
Applications may be made to Capt Freeman on board, or LIONEL SAMSON, Agent.
Fremantle, May 9th, 1853.

On the voyage out did George Pringle and friends get to stay in the superior accommodation for passengers or was theirs that now used for wool, horses, and other freight? I think we know the answer to that one.

All the best,
Alan