WW1 Records.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

smiddykilry

WW1 Records.....

Post by smiddykilry » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:33 pm

Hello
Can anyone tell me if it was a common practice for communities to produce a booklet with names and other information of the fallen after WW1. I have seen a copy from Scone with a small photo and other information on each of the fallen from the Scone area .

Cheers Smid :)
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.

DavidWW

Re: WW1 Records

Post by DavidWW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:42 pm

smiddykilry wrote:Hello
Can anyone tell me if it was a common practice for communities to produce a booklet with names and other information of the fallen after WW1. I have seen a copy from Scone with a small photo and other information on each of the fallen from the Scone area .

Cheers Smid :)
Such a practice was very common after WWI, with the clear intention of commemorating those who were killed in action .......... the effects on the numbers of men of miltary age who were killed in action could easily mean that more than 20% of men of such age in a certain locality were wiped out, and given the manner in which men from a certain locality joined up to a particular regiment, which was then involved in a particular disasterous action as regards the casualties for that particular regiment, much, much more than that average 20% figure, - in terms, very sadly, of regiments involved in certain battles, - could have been involved, in terms of the battle known most widely, - for instance, The Somme, - a figure as low as 20% would have been been regarded as approaching
the very mimimum for the many Scottish regiments involved in the that and similar WWI battles.

In terms of "New Army" Scottish regiments involved in the Somme, for example, some Scottish regiments were left with less than 10% of their effective fighting force, with the other 90% split between killed in action, and wounded in action ..............

David

sporran

Re: pause for breath

Post by sporran » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:26 pm

Hello David,

a new record - 155 words in a sentence!

Regards,

John

DavidWW

Re: pause for breath

Post by DavidWW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:45 pm

sporran wrote:Hello David,

a new record - 155 words in a sentence!

Regards,

John
I thought that you had noted nearly 200 words previously ??!! :shock:

David

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:50 pm

:shock: Gawd help us all....I was out of breath on just the 155...... :-

smiddykilry

Post by smiddykilry » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:02 pm

Hello David
Thanks for the reply; I did think that it would have been something that a lot of folk would want to have.
I now need to go and search some dusty old bookshelves for a few of my G.Uncles.

Cheers Again
Smid
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.