Identifying a Scottish Regiment.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Dona

Identifying a Scottish Regiment.....

Post by Dona » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:55 pm

I have a photo of a WW1 soldier. His uniform appears to be of a scottish regiment.

Would someone be able to identify the regiment if I can figure out how to post a photo.

Also would anyone know if any of the scottish regiments were part of the Allied Intervention Force that was sent to Siberia/Russia....Vladivostok in 1918 -1919

Thanks

Dona

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 am

Hi Dona,The Brittish War Medal was awarded for :

The British War Medal 1914-1920, authorised in 1919, was awarded to eligible service personnel and civilians alike. Qualification for the award varied slightly according to service. The basic requirement for army personnel and civilians was that they either entered a theatre of war, or rendered approved service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Service in Russia in 1919 and 1920 also qualified for the award.

Hope that helps,
HeatherK
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

Dona

Thanks

Post by Dona » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:09 am

Thanks Heather

I have a real selection of photos that Dad had taken when he served in Siberia as part of the Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force. Included were some that a professional photographer had taken in a studio..
The "Scottish Soldier" is a studio photo

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 am

Hi Dona

In my own research I was able to obtain a uniform identification by mailing a photocopy of the photograph to the National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London, SWS 4HT. I enclosed a small contribution to the museum for their expertise.

I should warn you that the results can be mixed though :? ....I was told my man was in the Seaforth Highlanders which was totally correct. But was also told that medals appearing in a second photo were India General Service Medal, the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal 1914-1920, and the Allied Victory Medal. Further research into the military records produced the results found on his medal card showing that he
was 2nd battalion Seaforths so the medal he has is not the 1914-15 star but the Mons Star (they are virtually identical). They also advised me that two chevrons on his sleeve were likely awarded for 6 years good conduct....but his service records indicated a couple incidents of disorderliness due to drunkeness :? which could only mean that the chevrons were likely active service ones....one for each year served in France.

There are many answers available.

Best wishes with your search.
Jean

Dona

Good Tip

Post by Dona » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:31 am

Thanks Jean

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:15 am

Jean

Dont be dissuaded by a few wee marks on his service record for "drunkeness" :D
It is not totally impossible that they were chevrons for good conduct, a number of factors come into consideration when issuing good conduct stripes :wink: Believe me I know from my navy service :lol:
If his conduct in carrying out his job was not affected by imbibing in the singing syrup, it is possible the information given to you is correct.
But of course back then regulations were a bit different from my time.
:wink:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

DavidWW

Re: Identifying a Scottish Regiment

Post by DavidWW » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:35 am

Dona wrote:I have a photo of a WW1 soldier. His uniform appears to be of a scottish regiment.

Would someone be able to identify the regiment if I can figure out how to post a photo.

Also would anyone know if any of the scottish regiments were part of the Allied Intervention Force that was sent to Siberia/Russia....Vladivostok in 1918 -1919

Thanks

Dona
Dona

Firstly, see http://www.regiments.org/wars/ww1/russia.htm for the background and some detailed info, - there will eventually be a listing of the make up of the British forces.

I knew that I'd seen a listing somewhere, - and have found one at http://orbat.com/site/history/historica ... 19-39.html, so, if he was in a Scottish regiment it looks like the Royal Scots or the HLI !

Could also be worth a look at http://www.documentsonline.nationalarch ... medals.asp
to see if he turns up in the medal card index, which should identify his regiment, - I'm near certain that there was a campaign medal for service in Siberia.

See Jean's reply for details of the Army Museum in London. Also, email a copy of the photo to me at 106200.1510@compuserve.com If I can't identify it, I have a mate who is better than the uniforms department at the Army Museum. But be prepared for a disappointment, as many examples of service dress from that time are relatively "anonymous", especially if the cap badge is difficult to make out.

Davie

Later PS Just reread the thread and see that he wasn't a Scot but a Canadian !! That's not to say that he didn't serve in the British army. See http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/memoir/cef.html and http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/Downloads/ahq/ahq082.PDF
dww