Plaque in Edinburgh Castle for WW2 dead?.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sun May 08, 2005 6:25 pm

WilmaM wrote:
Have you ever just searched the 'cemeteries' part ? I've just been trawling through the Falkirk ones - facinating. One of the local ones Grandsable, Grangemouth has mainly air force, with one aircraft woman.[/quote wrote:
Hullo again, Wilma

I've only looked through the information and names on the Dalfsen Cemetary in Netherlands where my uncle was buried. Now that you've drawn my attention to the cemetary search, I'll certainly look through it. Thanks.

Catriona

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon May 09, 2005 1:15 am

JayPee wrote:[/b]

"shot down behind enemy lines; he never spoke about his mishap or the terrible "recovery" time in the POW camp that followed".

Hi JayPee,

Now that would be an interesting but probably very sad story.

Regards,
AnneH

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon May 09, 2005 1:44 am

Anne

I am only taking a guess here, but your granny might easily have taken the ferry across. The first world war was not like the next one, and live and trade carried on across the channel.

Just a thought :wink:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon May 09, 2005 6:51 am

Hi Stewie,

Thanks...that's an interesting thought. I'll look into it. Actually, I don't know anything about any of the wars...it was never talked about in our family as far as I can remember, but when I heard the story about granny going off with a wee toddler to take care of her wounded husband, my imagination got going.

I just found this site that might be of interest to those gathering info on WW1 (if you don't already have it).

http://www.1914-1918.net

Regards,
AnneH