Cameron Highlanders, how do I..??.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Maud Jarvis

Cameron Highlanders, how do I..??.....

Post by Maud Jarvis » Sun May 29, 2005 1:27 pm

Can anyone give me advice on how to look for someone in the Cameron Highlanders, if I have only brief information?

In trying to trace the mother of my late husband, I have come to a brick wall, I cannot find any record of her birth, either here in England or in Scotland (have tried searching the Scotspeople site) also the BMD indexes for England.
Her name was given on marriage certificate as Blanche Eileen Mitchell age 21 in 1913 (date of marriage) she stated her father as
John Mitchell, a Sgt Major in the Cameron Highlanders. there is no clue as to his age, it was also stated that he was deceased.

Will it be possible to find out if he was indeed in the Cameron Highlanders with just the above information, and if so, where would I make enquiries re that.

I have thought of trying to find his birth cert.but after a few tries had to give up on that also, with a name of Mitchell that would have been no easy task, without a clue as to his age of even where he was born.
Because Blanche had used Scottish names for her children and stating that her father had been in a Scottish regiment, leads me to think that she must have had Scottish roots.

She later used the name of Fraser, when stating her maiden name, again a Scottish name.
I have begun to speculate that perhaps she had been illegitimate and tried to hide this fact by "adopting" the name of her natural father, the reason for believing that this may have been possible is the example of my own father. He was illegitimate but gave a false statement on his marriage cert.Saying that his mother was wife of XXX and he also had taken the name of XXX as being his father, but there I at least knew his mother`s name, in the case of my husband`s mother, I have no clue as to who her mother was.

I would dearly love to break down this brick wall, have been searching for Blanche`s birth/death for the past 12 years, can someone help suggest any steps I can take to solve the puzzle?
Seeking any descendents from Ezekiel McCulloch, Port Glasgow, also Neil Barr (Greenock)

Alcluith

Post by Alcluith » Sun May 29, 2005 2:12 pm

Maud,

Try sending an email to rhqthehighlanders@btopenworld.com they may be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

When Blanche was born the Camerons were at home so its likely that she was born in the UK.

Hope this helps
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Alcluith

Blanche Mitchell

Post by Alcluith » Sun May 29, 2005 2:38 pm

Maud

Have you looked for her in the 1901 census, there are quite a few at/near the right age. She is a pretty attractive girl in her wedding photo.
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

sporran

Re: Blanche Mitchell

Post by sporran » Sun May 29, 2005 3:45 pm

Hello Maud,

12 years is a long time to have had a problem with a close relative, so help is needed. Some more information would be useful:
place of marriage (presumably England since you mention only father's name), but county would help;
name and age of groom;
did she have any siblings - names and years of birth;
how do you know she also used a maiden name of Fraser;
did she marry again;
when did you lose touch with her?

Sorry if that appears nosey, but all information helps to find a person. E-mail me if there is sensitive information.

Regards,

John