James Crawford of Paisley

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

TKirouac

Re: James Crawford of Paisley

Post by TKirouac » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks Mel, that is a brilliant link! Please let me know if you do order in the microfilm.

According to The Scottish Pioneers of Upper Canada, 1784-1855: Glengarry and Beyond by Lucille H. Campey , P206 a similar list of imigrant families, including names, ages and payments made for fares, exists in London's PRO C042/189 ff 512-69. I contacted a cousin in London a few months ago and asked her to copy this for me on her next trip to the PRO.

I have a few relevant books in my collection that I'd be happy to search through for you, if you want too give me the families that you are interested in. If you don't already have them of course.
The Lanark Society Settlers - Carol Bennett
In Search of Lanark - Carol Bennett
Lanark Legacy - Howard Morton Brown
Emigrant Worlds and Tranatlantic Communities - Elizabeth Jane Errington
plus the OGS publications for burials, marriages and Col. Marshall's report on the Lanark settlers.

The good news on my Crawford line is that after much poking around on websites pertaining to Massachusetts history and in particular, Old Deerfield, where Robert Crawford was a Minister, I discovered that two of his hand written diaries existed in the Old Deerfield Library collection. A local researcher kindly checked out the diary that included his memoir, and tipped me off to which sections pertained to his background and family. Then I was able to order photocopies from the library. These are now enroute and I can only hope the rotating Canada Post strike doesn't slow it down too long, as I'm dying to get into it!

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your post, I have to check-in more frequently. It gets harder to find time for genealogy now that summer has finally arrived.
Tracey
PS for Alan in NZ....Howdy! I know I have seen mention of the similar emigrations to NZ for this time period, and I promise to start paying attention if I come across anything that might interest you. I'll post it here.

TKirouac

New Zealand assisted emigration

Post by TKirouac » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello Alan,
Just checking my book "Tracing Your Ancestors in the Public Record Office" p94

14.5 Emigrants to Australia and New Zealand
Details of emigrants may be found in the New Zealand Company records, which contain registers of cabin passengers emigrating, 1839-1850, applications for free passage, 1839-1850, lists of German emigrants, and lists of maintained emigrants (CO 208).

They then go on to talk about army pensioners receiving land there, but it didn't sound like that was what you were after.

If you haven't already visited their web site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... .htm#19636

It looks like the Scottish Record Office also has some lists, but it sounds like they are later than the period you are searching http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/emigration.asp

You are probably way past this already, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Tracey

melody

Post by melody » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi Tracey,
I have Lucille Campey's book, Glengarry and Beyond, it's a great read, so well researched. It looks like I need to get someone to look up things in the PRO also, as there is a lot there I assume that didn't make the book. I appreciate if you can check your books for me, but only as you have time. However the ones by Carol McCuaig-Bennet were already checked for me by Carol herself.

I am looking for a John Mclean, married to a Margaret Mcdougall. There is a John Mclean on the passenger list of the George Canning, 1821. that I found on the Lanark Ont. Gen.Soc. website. But wether or not this is the same John, I don't know.The John Mclean on the passenger list has 2 children over 12 years, so I think not. I tried the census but a lot of the 1851 census for the Almonte area is missing. I thought I found the family in the 1861 census for Saugeen,Bruce, Canada West, and it indicated that a member of the family had died in the previous year, age 60. Margaret is given as age 60 and she is a widow. So if that's right then John and Margaret were born around 1800.

I cannot find any marriage for them in Canada or on Scotland's People, though there are baptisms for two of their children in the Perth Presbyterian register,Lanark Canada. Their address is given as Lot 19 Con 10 Ramsay. There were Mcdougalls who immigrated on the same ship, so maybe John and Margaret married in Canada. The John Mclean that is on the passenger list has a boy and a girl over 12 years, so maybe my John was the boy, or maybe he was with the family of Donald Mclean, or none of the above! By the ages of their children, John and Margaret should of been born about 1800. There is another John Mclean and wife that came over with the Paisley Townhead society in 1820, but they are 36 and 35 years old in 1820, and as Margaret had her last child in 1845, I doubt this was her. Their children were: John born 1821 -ish, Donald 1823, Jennett? Jannet? William 1827, Flora 1833,Sarah (Sally I think) 1830, Duncan 1836, Isabella 1845.

I have made myself a note to watch for James Crawford on that microfilm which I hope to order sometime this summer.

'bye for now, Mel
mlm

melody

Post by melody » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Oh, Tracey, I forgot, congrats on the diary! That's thrilling!
mel
mlm

TKirouac

Post by TKirouac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Good morning Mel,
I'm going to do some digging around for McLeans in my Lanark stash and see what I can come up with. Your elusive family sounds very similar to the problems I'd been having with my Crawfords all right....they just seemed to keep a low profile. Compare that to the Gemmills that they married into and it is just the opposite...too many of them! But since we are looking in the same areas and dates, it will be easy to just keep an eye out for a new name.

One that I did come across in Lanark Legacy p52/53, was a photo of John McLean's post office and general store, Lanark Village c1904 "housing store and post office in a family residence offered some Lanark women a source of employment without neccessarily compromising what was believed to be their primary centre of interest - their domestic duties of providing a proper moral environment in which to raise their children."

Now obviously your John McLean wouldn't still be around in 1904, but they may have kept the name if the business remained in the family.

Will stay in touch,
Tracey

melody

Post by melody » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi Tracey,
The post office could of belonged to a descendant. [cheers] Thanks for looking out for Mcleans. having a Crawford to keep in mind will make it more fun when I'm looking too. If I can't find mine it's just as much fun to find someone else's. This is likely unrelated to your Crawfords, however when I was in Glasgow in 2003 on our honeymoon, I met a man named James Crawford. He took pity on us as we were consulting a map of Glasgow and looking lost. He took us on a little walking tour including the Highlandman's Umbrella my dad used to sing a song about, and St. Andrews Square where my great grandmother used to live. He was a fountain of info, a great tour guide. He was a retired cook now living in Gorbals. So I am not likely to forget the name.
Mel
mlm

TKirouac

Post by TKirouac » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi Mel,
That's too funny you running into a James Crawford and remembering the name. I'm not sure which makes for an easier search....the common or the rare names. I didn't have trouble finding too many Crawfords until the search reached Renfrewshire....

So looking through some of my books, this is what I've found for you:
Early Settlers 1820-1822 and Col. Marshall's 1834 Report on Conditions Lanark County
The address you mentioned for John and Margaret McLean of Ramsay Con 10 Lot 19 is listed as being settled by an Archibald Colquhoun in 1822 and still being the resident in 1834. Possibly a relative? Often new settlers sought out family members when they first arrived.

In the same book I found the following McLeans and McDougalls:
Dalhousie Twp.
Original Settler Date Current Occupant Location Comments
McDougal, James Con 2 Lot 22W Here with family: Rough, broken lot.
McLean, Hector 1821 Con 9 Lot 8W 100 acres
McLean, Hugh 1821 Con 11 Lot 6W 100 acres
McLean, John 1822 Con 10 Lot 6W 100 acres

Lanark Twp.
McDougall, James 1820 Emigrant Con 1 Lot 8W 100 acres
McLean, Charles 1820 Watt, George Con 1 Lot 7E McLean gone to USA: Watt settled here by Marshall 1, lot

North Sherbrooke Twp.
McDougall, Archibald 1821 Emigrant Con 1 Lot 11W Here with family: on a good lot
McDougall, Duncan 1821 Emigrant Con 1 Lot 11W Here with family: good lot
McLean, Donald 1821 Emigrant Con 3 Lot 6W 100 acres
McLean, Hugh 1821 Emigrant Con 3 Lot 5W 100 acres

Ramsay Twp.
McLean, Donald 1821 Con 9 Lot 8W
McLean, John 1821 Con 5 Lot 3E
McLean, Lachlan 1821 Con 7 Lot 19W

Marriages and Baptisms First Presbyterian Church, Perth 1817-1857 by Rev. William Bell
[you'd mentioned finding two of John and Margaret's children baptised...I could only find one]
Donald McLean s/o John and Margaret McLean Dalhousie Con 10 lot 9 born 09 May 1823
[back to Col Marshall's report, Dalhousie Con 10 Lot 9W was settled by a John Burns in 1821, still there in 1834. Con 10 Lot 9E was settled by a Donald McKinnon in 1821, again, still there in 1834 and the lots are both poor and rocky]

The only Margaret McDougall marriages I could find were one to a Thomas Crawford on 15 Mar 1839, she from Sherbrooke, he from Dalhousie, witnessed by Alexander McDougall and John Warneck. And then in Presbyterian Marriages Dalhousie & area 1858-1896, Margaret McDougall, 18, Palmerston d/o Donald McDougall & Janet Cameron, married Duncan Ferguson, 23, N Sherbrooke s/o Alexander Ferguson & Janet McDougall 08 Jun 1860.

If the Dalhousie McLeans are of interest to you, going by the Baptisms from McDonald's Corners, Elphin & Snow Road Presbyterian Churches 1848-1951, here are the wives and children of those families...
Alexander McLean and Christina McInnes had Hugh (1848); Duncan (1850); John (1851); Alexander (1855).
Hugh McLean and Margaret Brownlee had Hector James (1857); Christina Brownlee ( 1860); Sarah (1866); Mary Jane (1869). There must have been some others as Sarah was noted to be the 4th daughter. Hugh married Margaret 10 Feb 1857, witnessed by James Anderson and James Brownlee.
James McLean and Catherine Gunn had Jessie (adult baptism 1876); Sarah Jane (1867); Hector (1863); and Hugh (1856). James and Catherine were married 26 Oct 1855 witnessed by Hugh McLean & George Gunn.
There was also a Neil McLean of Dalhousie who married a Margaret Thom 09 Apr 1856 witnessed by Robert Purdon and William Thom.
All the other Dalhousie McLean marriages look to be for the next generation, but let me know if you'd like them.

Guess that's enough for now. A lot of these early Lanark settlers moved on to Huron township, Turnberry and Howick townships in particular, in the mid 1850s. Do you know where yours went?
Happy hunting,
Tracey

melody

Post by melody » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Tracey-thanks so much for doing all that work!!!
I knew Archie Colquhoun was the owner of the property in Ramsay, but I didn't know he was the resident. Archie Colquhoun was on the same passenger list (George Canning 1821), that I found a John Mclean on. That John Mclean was assigned conc 5 lot 3. Perhaps his lot was rocky? Perhaps he worked for Archie?
My Mcleans were John and Margaret's son Duncan born 1836. I can't find any baptism for him, but his marriage to Catherine Mckinnon (Parents John and Euphemia, and they are so far another dead end),in the 1860's took place in Brock co. Duncan and Catherine farmed in Paisley, near Port Elgin, Ont. Catherine died in the 1870's and Duncan and his brother William took their families and homesteaded in Manitoba in the 1870's.
(The second baptism for John and Margaret's children was Flora 1833 and it was found for mein the Perth Presbyterian register by Carol Bennett.)
Thanks again,Mel
mlm

DebbyS

Post by DebbyS » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:08 am

Hello TKirouac, your posts interested me greatly, as they mentioned my Great Great Grandfather James Crawford Gemmill. I have some pictures of James and both his wives, his house and a few of his descendants, if you are interested?? I am not sure how to post them here, but if you know, please instruct me. Or, I can send them to your email address if you want to give it to me. I have a photo of James and his first wife when they were very young. Another when he is OLD. When I asked my Grandfather who the people were, he did not know. But upon receiving my Dad's box of photos, there was the older one, which named James and his SECOND wife. I believe this second marriage put a rift in the family, somehow, otherwise my Grandfather would have known who the people were. Thanks for the work you have done, and I hope you see this message. Debby

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:36 am

Hello Debby
[TS_welcome]
I am sure your input and information will be of great interest to contributors of this forum, and TS also.
Everyone contributing to this thread will receive notification of your post.
It is always nice to have someone new join our site, enjoy your time here.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson