Robert Aitken - Stationary Engineer

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

francois2015

Robert Aitken - Stationary Engineer

Post by francois2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 am

I'm searching for a Robert Aitken born in Kilmacolm, Renfrew in 1906. He later became a Stationary Engineer who traveled the world extensively in cargo ships. I know it's not much to go on but it's all I've got. :?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Robert Aitken - Stationary Engineer

Post by paddyscar » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:15 am

Hi Francois:

Of 15 Robert Aitken births in Scotland 1906, http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx there is only 1 listed for Renfrew. You can view the details by buying credits online for ScotlandsPeople which holds official BMD, census, etc. This record would provide address of birth, parents' names, occupations, date of marriage, if applicable.

https://familysearch.org/search allows records searching for Ancestry, a membership service and shows multiple Robert Aitken listings of Scottish births. By entering only Robert Aitken, born Scotland from 1906 to 1906 this and many others surfaced.

Name: Robert Aitken
Event Type: Burial
Event Date: 1961
Event Place: Galston, , East Ayrshire, Scotland
Photograph Included: Yes
Birth Date: 29 Aug 1906
Death Date: 02 Feb 1961
Affiliate Record Identifier: 128654274
Cemetery: Galston Cemetery

Robert Aitken
United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records 1835-1941
Name: Robert Aitken
Event Type: Military Service
Event Year Range: 1921-1941
Event Place: United Kingdom
Birth Year: 1906

There are also many records listed for Robert Aitken born in 1906 who emigrated.

Depending on where you live, your local public library may provide free access to Ancestry, which would allow you to explore these further without cost.

Hope this helps some,

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

francois2015

Post by francois2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Good morning Frances,
I did manage to get birth records for Robert Aitken & his brother George. They were born in Kilmacoln, Renfrew. There the trail ended as of last night. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17936
The death info you show for a Robert Aitken would appear to be him. I have his birth as 9 August 1906. It was registered on the 29th. I'm curious, did you find the death on ScotlandsPeople??
Also, where did the info for the Merchant Navy come from? Seems I learn a little more about this research technique each day.
Thanks
Alan

francois2015

Post by francois2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Frances,
So close but . . . I pulled the death record from ScotlandsPeople and it's not the right Robert. Right date but wrong parents, etc. It's snowing outside so I'm staying at my desk resuming the search. Beats shoveling snow :wink:
Alan

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 am

Hi Francois:

I see from the link you included in your reply, that you have made some headway.

Also in viewing the separate posts, there is a variation of Aitken vs Aiken. I searched, based on this thread for Robert Aitken, having a friend myself who is carefully particular about the pronunciation and spelling.

Francois wrote:
Also, where did the info for the Merchant Navy come from? Seems I learn a little more about this research technique each day.
I located the Merchant Navy information at https://familysearch.org/search. This is the Family Search site, an arm of Ancestry. You can search this site at no cost, but there are restrictions on what you can see at no cost.

However, it is often helpful in trying to connect dots and provide you with information that you can verify elsewhere, or on the Ancestry membership service.

I live in Ontario, Canada and we are fortunate to have free access to Ancestry databases at no cost through our local public libraries. It may be worthwhile to check if that is available through your local library.

Heavy snows and minus 21C yesterday and today, continuing for the next week or more; so I can relate to 'snow-shovel avoidance'.

Best wishes,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

francois2015

Post by francois2015 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Morning Frances,

Some progress, but it's like pulling teeth. Robert is still hiding but I trailed his brother George down into Hertfordshire from where he signed death records for an aunt & uncle Lennox. Have most of what I want for their father David. No new snow up here in middle BC and temps are normal around -5C. Don't feel the need to share your winter with us :-)

Tnx Alan